My (2nd) A2 Project

John-A2

Hi Guys, Its happened again! I blame Sarge, spent too much time talking with him at the meal!! But A2 number 3 has arrived!
2002 1.6 FSI poorly condition, engine very ill.
P1010001 (1).JPGP1010004.JPG
Its purely a donor to rebuild the diesel. Will update with other pics etc, as the project goes on. This ones to keep me occupied over the winter! Hopefully will be finished for next years meets.
Cheers, John.

We are going to have to start a rehab meeting. A2's anonymous!!!

"My names Steve and I have an addiction...in 2.5 years I've had 9 A2's"

Hi Guys, Just a little update. The FSI is in the garage & so far most of the interior is stripped, lights are out & a few other bits removed. So its heading in the right direction, slowly! Pics show current progress. Cheers. John.

62.JPG63.JPG68.JPG76.JPG77.JPG

Hi Guys, Just a little update. The FSI is in the garage & so far most of the interior is stripped, lights are out & a few other bits removed. So its heading in the right direction, slowly! Pics show current progress. Cheers. John.

View attachment 22014View attachment 22015View attachment 22016View attachment 22017View attachment 22018

I am always amazed at how well these cars stand up to time.

WHen mine had the interior stripped out it was like brand new in there, just as yours is.

Look under the carpets of a 12 year old steel car and it won't be like that.

Steve B

You've been very busy John. What are the plans that involve a big strip down?
Hi Steve, "A big strip down" is an accurate description! This was purchased to re-build my TDI, so its gonna be stripped to a bare shell, re-sprayed & come back to life as a diesel (if all goes well!). Cheers. John.

Hi Steve B, Yeah I know what you mean. I've pulled up carpets on a 12 year old car before to find no floor, just the ground. The only thing I've found with A2 drivers, is they seem to spill their coke (Coca-Cola!) as under both sets of carpets have found drops of coke on the floors! Apart from that, yeah its surprisingly clean, as new. Cheers. John.

Sounds like a very interesting project; looking forward to seeing it unfold! Any clues as to what colour your planning to go or what spec your planning?

Hi, Its not a question of whats coming off, more what'll stay on! Its having a total strip down, re-paint & re-build as a TDI. Cheers. John.

Think I might have found the answer on A2OC but it was just to clarify that the centre to centre of each reverse sensor printed on the back of the rear bumper is 400mm.

Sounds like a very interesting project; looking forward to seeing it unfold! Any clues as to what colour your planning to go or what spec your planning?

Hi Steve, Was originally planning on an unusual colour, but couldn't decide, so playing it safe & going Porsche Guards Red. Spec wise, hopefully, the FSI was a sport so am keeping the sports seats & DIS plus planning on adding electric rear windows, front fogs/illuminated vanity mirrors. This is the plan so far, but things may change as it goes on! May do some interior re-trimming parts possibly. Cheers. John.

I know what you mean about colour. I spent months changing my mind over the colour.

As for swapping the DIS over it is not likely to be easy. For a start the rev counter is different.
The FSI goes as high as 6000 rpm before the red line and the tdi only goes to around 4000 before the red line.

I suspect other differences but i don't know the facts for sure. But i suspect there will be others.

Hopefully you will be posting plenty of pictures and details when you get time. It sounds very interesting snd definitely suited to the Projects section.

Steve B

Last edited:
Hi Folks, Just a little update & a few more piccies.
Still in the strip-down stage. Few more bits removed! Dash/complete wiring loom out of the car, headliner out, front panel off, exhaust is off, rear bumper/arches, front wings all removed. Still more bits to come off, but just a quick update.
Cheers. John.
81.JPG107.JPG108.JPG109.JPG106.JPG112.JPG113.JPG

Hi Guys, Its happened again! I blame Sarge, spent too much time talking with him at the meal!! But A2 number 3 has arrived!
2002 1.6 FSI poorly condition, engine very ill.
View attachment 21988View attachment 21989
Its purely a donor to rebuild the diesel. Will update with other pics etc, as the project goes on. This ones to keep me occupied over the winter! Hopefully will be finished for next years meets.
Cheers, John.

Hey John, Sorry must have missed the thread. Blame away lol :) Loving the work!

Sarge

Hi Sarge, Hope alls well with you. Don't feel guilty about it being your fault :D (you're not really to blame!) But strangely, the wife seems to be happier with me spending more time in the garage. Glad you like the work. Still a lot more to go! Hope you're collection's still going well. Cheers. John.

Hi Sarge, Hope alls well with you. Don't feel guilty about it being your fault :D (you're not really to blame!) But strangely, the wife seems to be happier with me spending more time in the garage. Glad you like the work. Still a lot more to go! Hope you're collection's still going well. Cheers. John.

If you recall, from the moment we arrived, till we left, your good lady spend all evening talking with my Wifey, she must have become a convert! :)

Sarge

Hi Guys,

Just a couple more pics, engine/gearbox are out only bits left to remove are the windows and petrol tank, then I can start sanding the shell, engine bay brush painted (just to see how the paint looks)
90.JPG96.JPG102.JPG99.JPG

Hi Guys,

Just a couple more pics, engine/gearbox are out only bits left to remove are the windows and petrol tank, then I can start sanding the shell, engine bay brush painted (just to see how the paint looks)

Looking good, very interesting project.

Steve B

Back