Seat improvements

DJ 190

A2OC Donor
I've done a lot of work on seats (and door-cards) recently and my knowledge-base has increased considerably. What I have learned may be of use to other A2OC members, so here goes!
Regarding the seat-base. Most seats (leather/fabric) show uneven wear to the drivers-side squab, for obvious reasons. That is because of the regular entry/exit of the driver. I realised that the seat-bases are interchangeable between driver and passenger side. Simply performing this action results in unworn bolsters for entry on both the driver and passenger side!
You would think that this would be difficult to do? Not so! The back-rest is left undisturbed. The leather/fabric doesn't have to be detached from the foam padding. However, both have to be detached from the plastic seat floor-pan. Through ignorance, I have always considered that this was a difficult job to perform, but not so! Detaching the seat material is pretty easy and it is obvious how to proceed with this work. The visual improvement is really significant and the worn bolsters are far less noticeable, being on the inside!
Now what about the (equally) worn squabs forming the entry side of the back-rests? Well, they are not directly interchangeable. That is because of the airbags. However, I have considered even a way around this! What is required is a pair of spare airbag holders and covers, in the appropriate colour. The intention is to have a dummy airbag cover on the inner-side of both seats. I think that it's going to be acceptable and not very obvious, because it is on the "hidden" side of the seat? There is nothing like personal experience to allay concerns with any work needing to be done! The only work that I leave to others is stitching/re-trimming of leather. I'm currently having sports-seat bases altered to SE profile. I'll have hybrid seats, then! They are heated and have lumbar-support, though.... and with a unique blue-leather "Sydmeko" arm-rest! Oh, the storage-floor in the boot area ...... that'll be covered in blue leather, too!

David

Last edited:
I did the same two weeks ago. I added seat heating to the driver seat last winter shortly after I bought the car. Later I found the seat uncomfortable and came up with the same idea as you. The swap is easy and it feels like a new seat.
The foam on the sports seats are not exactly symmetrical, the front side part of the foam closest to the center console. But I did not modify the foam before the swap and it might be harder to move the seat all the way to the front.

Very interesting indeed. I'd consider this option as my drivers bolster is starting to go ( my lovely wife permitting my daughter to climb over the drivers into the passenger seat to my dismay) but if the sports bolster is slightly different on each side I will probably just replace it when the car is no longer a daily driver and not used to ferry the wee ones around. Not complaining though. The interior is wearing incredibly well for the cars age.

I've done a lot of work on seats (and door-cards) recently and my knowledge-base has increased considerably. What I have learned may be of use to other A2OC members, so here goes!
Regarding the seat-base. Most seats (leather/fabric) show uneven wear to the drivers-side squab, for obvious reasons. That is because of the regular entry/exit of the driver. I realised that the seat-bases are interchangeable between driver and passenger side. Simply performing this action results in unworn bolsters for entry on both the driver and passenger side!
You would think that this would be difficult to do? Not so! The back-rest is left undisturbed. The leather/fabric doesn't have to be detached from the foam padding. However, both have to be detached from the plastic seat floor-pan. Through ignorance, I have always considered that this was a difficult job to perform, but not so! Detaching the seat material is pretty easy and it is obvious how to proceed with this work. The visual improvement is really significant and the worn bolsters are far less noticeable, being on the inside!
Now what about the (equally) worn squabs forming the entry side of the back-rests? Well, they are not directly interchangeable. That is because of the airbags. However, I have considered even a way around this! What is required is a pair of spare airbag holders and covers, in the appropriate colour. The intention is to have a dummy airbag cover on the inner-side of both seats. I think that it's going to be acceptable and not very obvious, because it is on the "hidden" side of the seat? There is nothing like personal experience to allay concerns with any work needing to be done! The only work that I leave to others is stitching/re-trimming of leather. I'm currently having sports-seat bases altered to SE profile. I'll have hybrid seats, then! They are heated and have lumbar-support, though.... and with a unique blue-leather "Sydmeko" arm-rest! Oh, the storage-floor in the boot area ...... that'll be covered in blue leather, too!

David

Hi David,

Thanks for this I will add this to the "How To" Index thread
A list of some of the "How To's" and useful threads

Cheers
Steve B

Last edited:
The foam on the sports seats are not exactly symmetrical, the front side part of the foam closest to the center console. But I did not modify the foam before the swap and it might be harder to move the seat all the way to the front.

Strange, I couldn't see any difference in profile? I would say that they are identical, and that what you've experienced is that by changing over the bases, then the squab that has suffered from regular squashing from the driver accessing the car is now on the inner on the passenger-side. It is distorted in profile by having been regularly crushed, and that is why the seat is harder to move to the front ....

David

The seat foam on my passenger seat (the right seat) is hollowed closest to the center console. I completely dismantled the seat and removed the seat upholstery when I added the heating element and I examined the foam. The left seat (my driver seat) did not have any hollow. These are my original sport seats.

It will be interesting to see how the hybrid seats work out as it was something I had also been toying with - http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthrea...atinum-seat-cloth-options&p=237081#post237081

Cheers Spike

David

Is it easy to add heated seats to an a2

There are threads about this if you search on it. To retrofit OEM heated seats is a big job. You'd need new seat covers as the elements are a sticthed into the material and those wanting this upgrade generally buy the seats and controls from a breaker and have the wiring looms made up.
You don't see many cloth seats with heating in them. They're mostly on the leather options. There was talk that early leather seats have the heater elements pre installed whether you selected the option or not but I'm not sure of the accuracy of that.

A couple of members have fitted aftermarket heater elements including David the OP of this thread. I think costs were in the 400 region memory serving.

If you're interested I think Sarge has a set of 4 seater heated leather seats for sale. No endorsement of the sale or their availability / condition just trying to help out.

But short answer to your question. No I don't think it's easy.

edit : just noticed steaman has also fitted heater elements hopefully you'll get a steer on this from one of those that's done the work

Last edited:
I fitted aftermarket heater elements in the driver seat. It is more complicated to work with the Sport seats. To fit the seat cover to the seat foam, 15-17 metal clips are mounted. Not the easiest work. The first time I used wire straps instead but were not completely happy with the result and ordered clips and a pliers that I used the second time. Due to the clips I had to cut holes in the heating element.
The backrest is also a pain, The Sports seat has a "
cover seat backrest with map net" and the remove the fabric/leather you need to start with that cover. I hope I never need to do it again.

As mentioned in other threads i would rate the effort to 8 (of 10) if you want to get a perfect result on a Sports Seat

I fitted aftermarket heater elements in the driver seat. It is more complicated to work with the Sport seats. To fit the seat cover to the seat foam, 15-17 metal clips are mounted. Not the easiest work. The first time I used wire straps instead but were not completely happy with the result and ordered clips and a pliers that I used the second time. Due to the clips I had to cut holes in the heating element.
The backrest is also a pain, The Sports seat has a "
cover seat backrest with map net" and the remove the fabric/leather you need to start with that cover. I hope I never need to do it again.

As mentioned in other threads i would rate the effort to 8 (of 10) if you want to get a perfect result on a Sports Seat

Yes, I'd agree that when you're doing this for the first time, it's difficult. Then, experience kicks in! I've taken the backs down (sports-seats) quite a few times (and for other A2OC members) and I can do it in a very short time! You have mentioned the "cover seat backrest with map net" as being difficult to remove? Well, a simple pointer here .... start prising it out at least 10 cm from the bottom. Location after re-building .... locate the two lugs at the bottom of the plastic back, first, and not as the final action. My effort rating? 2 out of 10! Oh, those hog ties .... difficult, I will agree, but grinding away the ends of the hog-tie pliers to a narrower profile will help there, too! I'm sure that with practice, you wouldn't be saying "I hope I never need to do it again"!

David

There are threads about this if you search on it. To retrofit OEM heated seats is a big job. You'd need new seat covers as the elements are a sticthed into the material and those wanting this upgrade generally buy the seats and controls from a breaker and have the wiring looms made up.
You don't see many cloth seats with heating in them. They're mostly on the leather options. There was talk that early leather seats have the heater elements pre installed whether you selected the option or not but I'm not sure of the accuracy of that.

A couple of members have fitted aftermarket heater elements including David the OP of this thread. I think costs were in the 400 region memory serving.

If you're interested I think Sarge has a set of 4 seater heated leather seats for sale. No endorsement of the sale or their availability / condition just trying to help out.

But short answer to your question. No I don't think it's easy.

edit : just noticed steaman has also fitted heater elements hopefully you'll get a steer on this from one of those that's done the work

No, you certainly don't need new covers, just the elements. They are based on the VW "Passat" model. They fit perfectly and give a superb range of temperature control! Heat is provided right to the top of the back-rest and right to the sides of the base. I just leave mine on all the time, at setting 2 out of 5.In my opinion, and based on my experience, this is do-able, but there is the loom side of it, too. The suitable heater elements are still available from VW Teeside, I think. I only purchased a further set a couple of Month's ago. They sell the loom to link the elements together, all for £200! The rest of the wiring is available from Audi. Search Ebay for the controllers .... Mine came from an Audi A3 and cost £25. It was the A/C type that fits below a Double-DIN RNS-E and had early type, hard-plastic knobs! I had a re-upholsterer install the elements (but I watched!) The cost? £30 each seat!
I've got a full seat of S.E. seats that I'm contemplating selling. They have lumbar, they are heated and they have a superb "Sydmeko" armrest fitted, in a near perfect colour match to the "Platinum" leather. Everything is in great condition! I just seem to hang onto everything, I'm such a hoarder!

David

Last edited:
I did it as you suggested and it is still hard, maybe easier with cloth. You are absolutely right, the pliers would improve if reshaped, will have that in mind if I ever wold start over.

There was talk that early leather seats have the heater elements pre installed whether you selected the option or not but I'm not sure of the accuracy of that.

Does anyone have any experience of this? I bought the early leather bench seat set, and this could be a lovely bonus if there's any truth to it!!

Does anyone have any experience of this? I bought the early leather bench seat set, and this could be a lovely bonus if there's any truth to it!!

If there is a 3rd electrical connector on the underside of the seat bases you have elements I believe. One of the tech guru's will be able to confirm

In previous discussions the consensus was that if non-heated leather seats were ordered on a new car the covers would not have elements fitted.
If purchased as a service part it's very likely (but not proven) the seat covers would include elements (possibly with the connector cut off) even if ordered as non heated covers.

Cheers Spike

Well, I'll get the guys to have a look when fitting, but it sounds like they would have just been standard then.

Back