A2!'s TDI Project

A2!

Hi Everyone!

I thought I would start a thread for my car. Currently my aim is to get it to back to it's best OEM condition and then maybe start working on some subtle mods.

I've been a fan of the A2 since they came out and a long time lurker of the forum. On my other current car I have spend many thousands modding and many hours spent on it's respective club forum. So I'm sure I'll feel right at home at A2OC.

So on to my car..... I actually wasn't quiet ready to buy the A2 but I had an alert come up at my local car auction (Central Car Auctions Glasgow). I think I had set up alerts for about 6 months and only seen 3 A2's in that time. I'd been looking for a TDi with the best spec I could get. The first 2 were petrol's but the one that came up a couple of weeks ago was a early 2003 TDi Sport. So I bid £1200 and got it (with fees it was £1400). The price seemed good enough as most of the cars I've seen cost more and were in England making them harder to view and more expense to get them here.

While i will probably spend more over time than it's worth at least I know all the work has actually been carried out recently.

Here are some pics after I won the auction

IMG_0127_zpsjfevgppc.jpg

IMG_0126_zps8lcsabgn.jpg

IMG_0128_zpsxwlj4ijf.jpg

As you can see the car does not have the 17" alloys but steels with awful trims. They were probably sold before the last owner traded it in to the dealer but no biggie as I have already partially purchased the alloys for it.

On a plus point it's a sport with front fogs and the interior is black which I like.

I've drawn up a long list of things to do, some of which I have already fixed.

When i got it none of the remote keys worked, so searched around the forum then replaced the batteries and resynced them (and the one touch windows). I have one working fine but the other I've had no luck. I have tried all methods on this forum and on audi ones (e.g. ignition, exterior door, two key program with working one in the ignition etc.). Funnily enough the one I got working was the one that the previous owner had already replaced with a wrong sized battery. Once I done that I cleaned the keys and polished the casings with toothpaste (yes, that does work).

I also got a new dipstick from Glasgow Audi as the measurement end had snapped :(

Currently just giving it a deep clean and cleaning up the leather parts as the steering wheel was that horrible greasy way :eek:

Before :

IMG_0136_zpsbnnhzoyd.jpg

After:

IMG_0137_zpsvjt6yvfc.jpg

Also in the boot there is a large spare wheel (non original) because everything under the little flap except the jack is missing, so I have ordered the compressor and bottle of goo.

So thats my first post of my A2's Journey and apologies for the long post. I'll keep you updated and try and not ask to many silly questions as there is plenty of of invaluable info on the forum.

Euan :D

Looks like a great deal you've found there, and no need to apologize for a long post.. The more info the better read for us..!

If I can ask.. What did you use to clean and degrease the steering wheel.? One of my A2's steering wheel could use some cleaning too..

Looking forward to what else you have planned to do on your new purchase.. And keep the pics coming too.. :)

All the best..

Nice one Euan.

Looks a good car. The Sport will look a lot more presentable with a set of nice wheels. Which ones are you going for?

Your steering wheel came up a treat. What did you use to degrease it? I've done mine a couple of times just using a household cleaner with a softer abrasive pad then treating with leather conditioner. Feels and looks much better when you get rid of that shiny surface.

Good to see a few more Scottish members this year. We'll have enough soon to consider a regional social!!

Welcome again and best of luck with the car they are brilliant motors

Last edited:
Hi A2

It looks spiffingly good for the dosh and the Holy Grail of Tdi's 90bhp, I have just bought another A2 same colour Crystal Blue Tdi 75bhp + Tunning Box 25/30 bhp ? the car is not nearly as good a nick as yours though, you got a real bargain I think and hopefully if well serviced should serve you well, we should have a race down the M77 now they have upgraded it for aspiring Bhoy racers like Murdr

Hi Everyone!

I thought I would start a thread for my car. Currently my aim is to get it to back to it's best OEM condition and then maybe start working on some subtle mods.

I've been a fan of the A2 since they came out and a long time lurker of the forum. On my other current car I have spend many thousands modding and many hours spent on it's respective club forum. So I'm sure I'll feel right at home at A2OC.

So on to my car..... I actually wasn't quiet ready to buy the A2 but I had an alert come up at my local car auction (Central Car Auctions Glasgow). I think I had set up alerts for about 6 months and only seen 3 A2's in that time. I'd been looking for a TDi with the best spec I could get. The first 2 were petrol's but the one that came up a couple of weeks ago was a early 2003 TDi Sport. So I bid £1200 and got it (with fees it was £1400). The price seemed good enough as most of the cars I've seen cost more and were in England making them harder to view and more expense to get them here.

While i will probably spend more over time than it's worth at least I know all the work has actually been carried out recently.

Here are some pics after I won the auction

IMG_0127_zpsjfevgppc.jpg

IMG_0126_zps8lcsabgn.jpg

IMG_0128_zpsxwlj4ijf.jpg

As you can see the car does not have the 17" alloys but steels with awful trims. They were probably sold before the last owner traded it in to the dealer but no biggie as I have already partially purchased the alloys for it.

On a plus point it's a sport with front fogs and the interior is black which I like.

I've drawn up a long list of things to do, some of which I have already fixed.

When i got it none of the remote keys worked, so searched around the forum then replaced the batteries and resynced them (and the one touch windows). I have one working fine but the other I've had no luck. I have tried all methods on this forum and on audi ones (e.g. ignition, exterior door, two key program with working one in the ignition etc.). Funnily enough the one I got working was the one that the previous owner had already replaced with a wrong sized battery. Once I done that I cleaned the keys and polished the casings with toothpaste (yes, that does work).

I also got a new dipstick from Glasgow Audi as the measurement end had snapped :(

Currently just giving it a deep clean and cleaning up the leather parts as the steering wheel was that horrible greasy way :eek:

Before :

IMG_0136_zpsbnnhzoyd.jpg

After:

IMG_0137_zpsvjt6yvfc.jpg

Also in the boot there is a large spare wheel (non original) because everything under the little flap except the jack is missing, so I have ordered the compressor and bottle of goo.

So thats my first post of my A2's Journey and apologies for the long post. I'll keep you updated and try and not ask to many silly questions as there is plenty of of invaluable info on the forum.

Euan :D

Welcome to a great club Euan, looks like a great car you have in the making, keep the progress reports coming, it's good reading for all enthusiasts!
Cheers Jeff

Hi Euan,

It does look like you got yourself a bargain. Thanks for posting, as we all enjoy reading about other members' cars.

....cleaning up the leather parts as the steering wheel was that horrible greasy way.

I'd also be interested to read how you went about this, as it looks as though you've done a great job.

Keep the posts coming. :)

It looks spiffingly good for the dosh and the Holy Grail of Tdi's 90bhp...

As far as I can see, there's no mention of Euan's car being a TDI90, and from the photos it appears to be a 75. So, with your tuning box, the hypothetical M77 race is likely to be won by you (unless Murdo gets involved)!

Cheers,

Tom

Thanks guys for the replies.

For the steering wheel I just used an astonish degreaser, and old electric toothbrush and a microfibre cloth.

As for the wheels just going for the standard 17 rs4 ones.

It's a 75 but I will be getting it remapped later in the year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good choice with the wheels. Careful with them though. According to my Mrs the kerbstone has a real issue with them and jump out in ambush every few weeks. ;)

Good choice with the wheels. Careful with them though. According to my Mrs the kerbstone has a real issue with them and jump out in ambush every few weeks. ;)

That's not unique to the sport wheels Murdo, the kerb has jumped out on my wife twice in the last month kerbing both front S3 wheels in the process. Wheel refurb now on the list of jobs to do next year.

Quick update.

I have purchased 3 x 17" RS4 alloys. Two refurbed, one marked all with good tread and pirelli p zero tyres for £100 (plus about £40 for fuel as i had to pick up in Huddersfield). Still a good deal but will have to look out for one more.

Received my genuine compressor and bottle so no need for the terrible sized spare. :D

Fixed my washer jets as my right ones didn't spray at all and one of the left ones sprayed pretty much over the roof. Used a steam cleaner on the blocked ones and that successfully cleared them out, and a metal skewer to position them all.

Fixed my service flap as it was not locking properly. Found out it had jammed shut with rust once i prized it out with some WD40.

but after some cleaning up with a dremel and some white grease it was all good :)

While doing that I also adjusted the service flap as it was hanging out about a fingers width when closed.

Cleaned up the two filler chutes (the oil one was so bad I had no idea it had writing on it) and sorted the rubber seal around the engine bay as it was totally not on properly.

While fiddling around I noticed a drainage duct tube from the windscreen was just tucked loose down the left hand of the bay. Looking from pics on the internet it seems it goes down there but does it drain into any particular place. I noticed it had a little clip on it. Can anyone tell me which panel etc. it goes onto to keep it secure?

Thanks Euan

Hi Euan,

The drainage pipe above is tie wrapped onto the larger back plastic air filter downpipe. The bottom of the pipe should then hover over the holes in the engine undertray (it won,t go all the way down) so that the water can drain away.

Ta
Dave
:)

Hi Euan. I have 3 spare RS4 style 17 inch wheels . I don't 'need' them all. They're basically for rotating when the kerbing occurs. It's I need of a refurb however you can have the one without a tyre ( no centre cap) gratis. PM me to arrange uplift from Prestwick.

I picked up the wheel from Murdo . Ordered some centre caps for the wheels. Just need to refurb two of them and get two new tyres, then they will be good to go!

I've also ordered two key button replacements and some tailored mats.

Today I wanted to do some detailing of the emblems so followed this video from the chemical guys. While it took longer than the video, it was well worth it and I doubt the badges had ever been properly cleaned. Apologies, I forgot to take a proper picture before I started cleaning the back emblem but the main problem was the yellowish staining all round the edges.

The video I was talking about: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Cvo3_U-ox38

f2234b84b234846b2de3394108100189.jpg

b53b9cdcae44b922c96ee660edfe86b1.jpg

c9b696542463eab87ad99229c5862161.jpg

71e5fcbf0cbcdcdc3813ae380534c19b.jpg

Really wanting the bad weather to go so I can work on the car properly. :(

Euan

I canceled my order for the mats and got some genuine soul black ones from A2 Steve :D.

So the alloys I got might have been cheap £100 for 4 (many thanks to murdo again for one of his spares :D) but some were needing work. Originally I was going to refurbish them myself as I have done a pretty good job quite a few times for my other car but decided against it. Seeing I needed to get someone else to sort the slightly buckled one, no time off work, let alone the terrible weather. I might as well get them all sorted.

I used Wheel Pro Scotland in Baillieston. My dad has used them a few times for his custom wheels so I know they do a good job. They do proper sandblasting, powder coating, diamond cutting etc. I'd recommend them to anyone. It might cost a little more than some places, but a lot of them just fill and spray paint your wheels and I don't think it's worth it in the long term.

I just put the trashed alloy in to get refurb first to see how it would turn out. The wheel was heavily gouged all over the front and had two small buckles on the inside although it was holding air pressure fine.

20160201_143508018_iOS.jpg20160201_143536281_iOS.jpg

Picked it up the next day and all sorted:

20160208_142423692_iOS.jpg20160208_142402176_iOS.jpg

While the two of the other wheels had been refurbed by the seller they aren't that great and the colour is wrong. All 3 will be going in this week:D

Also i found out that one of the tyres while practically new, was a cheap Chinese brand (BTC S800) with terrible reviews so have now purchased two new Pirreli P Zero Nero tyres to match the other two. Also bought 4 new centre caps and some Audi valve caps, so the new shoes will be looking good by the end of the week :D:D:D.

Among some other bits and bobs I got my reg number changed. I bought some of the genuine Audi Sport number plate holders along with some nice pressed plates so looking a bit better :).

Away from the actual car I've been working on some A2 digital art when I've had the time. I've been thinking of making myself a nice A2 t-shirt.:D

A great thread this. I have only just stumbled across it thanks to today's post and thoroughly enjoyed the read.

Some very good skills demonstrated and great to see new life being injected into the car. Nice job and a good transformation to-date. Look forward to the next install.

Quick update:

As you might of read on one of the other threads, once I took off the wheel trims I found lock nuts. Sadly the car never came with any key. After trying and failing to remove it myself with chapping on a smaller socket, I got it professionally removed.

And here is my A2's new shoes, excuse the dirty car though !

14670307df8f8fbf7b34d575a98c398c.jpg
3311321d134c1c0b4cb87636d34b583c.jpg

It's handing much better. The original tyres were 175/80/R14 !!!!

It is good to hear from others who like the ride on 17s, yes its slightly firmer but also gives better steering response and cornering.

I went one step further and run mine on 18s and still get a comfortable ride, it is all about personal preference.

The 17" Sport wheels look great (the alloy is a bit softer unfortunately, but they look and handle really well)

Steve B

Back