How to Fit the Undertray (for Petrol A2s).

Since I and others have struggled with knowing exactly what is needed to fit the undertray on, here is a list of exactly what is needed to fit the undertray on to your A2. Since petrol and diesel undertrays vary, this will be specific to petrol A2s (both 1.4 and 1.6).

Needed:
One undertray (obviously!) - part number 8Z0 825 235 E - cost £94.90 from e.g. Stoke Audi. (pic 3)
12 hex panel screws - These do the job nicely
9 speed fasteners (spires) - These may already be attached to the car - do check this! 3 are not needed as the ones that attach to the chassis should not be removable. Get something like these - the number 6 ones. Exact size of these is a little bit flexible, so long as it holds the screws.
2 10mm nuts - these fit to the bolts under the wheel arches. Ensure that the threads match. (pic 1)

Suggested:
2 further panel screws and spires - drill an extra hole each side of the undertray and bumper to stop a bit flapping about (pic 2, no idea why this wasn't done to start with).
Washers - while not needed it will do no harm to put washers on the two bolts.

Tools:
Ramps / jack and axle stands to raise up the front of the car. I doubt this is even possible without doing so. (pic 4)
Hex screwdriver (pic 7).
10mm socket wrench / ratchet spanner / spanner.
Torch or other light source.
Screwdriver or something to be used as a lever for the under / over bits at the front.

Make sure all of the spires are in place first, on just the uppermost bit of plastic at each of the holes (pic 6). There are 12 holes in total on the undertray which will match with holes on the bottom of the car: three along the bottom of the front bumper, three at the back attaching to the chassis, and three at each side. There are a further two holes on the inner wheel arch liner which will correspond to the bolts coming out of the car (pic 5); they fit over easily.
Affix the front bumper screws first, this gets the awkward under / over fitting out of the way. The screw points must be on the outside of the bumper, with the rest of the undertray tucked inside (pic 8). This should be obvious due to the channels in the undertay and bumper making the reverse impossible.
Everything else is straightforward. Leave the nuts on the wheel arches to last as they are the easiest to get on.

Attachments

• ut_6.jpg
    ut_6.jpg
    357.3 KB · Views: 729
  • ut_7.jpg
    ut_7.jpg
    424.5 KB · Views: 782
  • ut_1.jpg
    ut_1.jpg
    576 KB · Views: 836
  • ut_2.jpg
    ut_2.jpg
    544.9 KB · Views: 768
  • ut_3.jpg
    ut_3.jpg
    583.1 KB · Views: 751
  • ut_5.jpg
    ut_5.jpg
    558.4 KB · Views: 738
  • ut_9.jpg
    ut_9.jpg
    517.7 KB · Views: 740
  • ut_10.jpg
    ut_10.jpg
    511 KB · Views: 737
Last edited:
Hi Chris,

Thanks for a great post, I have added it to the "How to" index thread.

Cheers
Steve B

Personally, I will *always* now put the rear screws in first before any others. They are definitively in the right place and especially if one of the bolts just turns (like both of mine do) then it's a relatively easy fiddle to squash the front bumper in correctly.
If the brake splash guards weren't fitted correctly, this is the time you'll also find out, as they may stop things being removed. I know mine, when they go back on, will be screwed into as many places as possible to stop them being torn off by icy potholes again.

- Bret

Funny you say petrols and diesels are different when your fitting a diesel undertray to a petrol as it has the webasto exhaust holes, I thought the webasto holes and sound deadning was the only difference between the petrol and diesel undertray and they fitted exactly the same.. but all the same great tuturial..

Last edited:
Thanks for this guide, fitted tdi tray, used Bret's method of back 3 first. local dealer for order of undertray £107.91+vat tdi v8z0825235f baffle, big difference with the sound deadening/compared to nothing there.

cheers for the pictures, really helped with taking the tray off but I now have 2 broken or rusted away inserts. Are there replacements anyone can get to put in the square holes in the sub frame to allow the screws to hook into?

cheers for the pictures, really helped with taking the tray off but I now have 2 broken or rusted away inserts. Are there replacements anyone can get to put in the square holes in the sub frame to allow the screws to hook into?
Hi,

What you need possibly sounds like the 3D printed parts that Paul(@depronman) can supply. I would expect he will be along shortly.

In the meantime it may help to clarify which two fixings you are referring to by cross reference to this diagram

Andy

Last edited:
Fitted a new under tray yesterday,price from Audi £38+vat retail so a big reduction in price from previous years , I used 8mm thread rivnuts into the subframe holes and A3 undertray bolts .One of my side studs was missing drilled out and used a rivnut there to. Diesel undertray was £48+ vat.

@Louisp 3 off number 5 ( speed nuts ) in above diagram to replace with original metal or fit Paul's 3d printed plastic inserts instead. Yes I also fit the under tray from the 3 rear bolts first, then work around the edges from the left rear across the front and lastly the right side to the rear as this still gives enough access to connect a Webasto exhaust to the under tray if required. It is worth paying the extra for a diesel under tray regardless of engine type just for the extra noise insulation.

Last edited:
I could not remove the webatso exhaust as the 2 screw heads left in it were just smooth where the torx would have been and they are nicely domed. I need to come over and see Paul and I’ll get the inserts too :)

Back