Headlight Switch

J3FVW

I'm new to A2 ownership and have made a start tidying up the interior of my 2002 1.4SE.

I've just bought an A4 climate unit to transplant the buttons into the A2 (the how to guides on here will be getting used!) so once that is done the next thing to concentrate on will be headlight switch. Mine is a little bit tatty for the mileage (the car has only done 55k) so I've been scanning eBay for a replacement but all the ones that crop up are in far worse condition than what I've already got.

Are new headlight switches still available from the dealers and if so what price can I expect to pay?

I'm new to A2 ownership and have made a start tidying up the interior of my 2002 1.4SE.

I've just bought an A4 climate unit to transplant the buttons into the A2 (the how to guides on here will be getting used!) so once that is done the next thing to concentrate on will be headlight switch. Mine is a little bit tatty for the mileage (the car has only done 55k) so I've been scanning eBay for a replacement but all the ones that crop up are in far worse condition than what I've already got.

Are new headlight switches still available from the dealers and if so what price can I expect to pay?

Hi,

you could buy a nice little kit that not only gives you a new headlight switch, but it also gives you automatic headlights and "Coming home - leaving home" (where the lights stay on for a while when you get out, or come on for a while when you unlock the door on the remote.

Automatic light + Coming / Leaving home

It is an easy DIY kit and VERY cheap!

Usully around £40 !!!!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/201073685426

Steve B

Last edited:
Reactions: dlp
Hi,

you could buy a nice little kit that not only gives you a new headlight switch, but it also gives you automatic headlights and "Coming home - leaving home" (where the lights stay on for a while when you get out, or come on for a while when you unlock the door on the remote.

Usully around £40 !!!!

Steve B

That's VERY interesting.....has anyone on here done it before?

I'm not with my car at the moment so can't check but I thought the switch was a complete unit together with the dash dimmer and beam adjust? I was under the impression that the whole thing would need replacing and that the headlight switch assembly/barrel couldn't be removed on it's own?

That's VERY interesting.....has anyone on here done it before?

I'm not with my car at the moment so can't check but I thought the switch was a complete unit together with the dash dimmer and beam adjust? I was under the impression that the whole thing would need replacing and that the headlight switch assembly/barrel couldn't be removed on it's own?

Several of us have fitted these.

It is basically plug and play with no wiring required, just remove the old switch, replace it with the new one and place the light sensor near the windscreen.

One of the best value for money mods you can get.

£40 for automatic headlamps and the coming home / leaving home feature!!!

15 minutres to swap it all over. (the instructions are all on the thread, including explanations about the "icon ring")

Steve B

Thanks! That seems a much better option than buying a new switch from Audi. I'll read the thread now......

Hi,

Usully around £40 !!!!

Steve B

The Coming/leaving home function, is that only applicable to the fog lights? I like the idea but I have no fog lights...

Thanks

The Coming/leaving home function, is that only applicable to the fog lights? I like the idea but I have no fog lights...

Thanks

No,

there is an option if you don't have fogs, you just change a jumper switch and it uses the headlights instead!!

Steve B

No,

there is an option if you don't have fogs, you just change a jumper switch and it uses the headlights instead!!

Steve B

Hmm that is interesting. Very much so being a more or less plun n play installation. The auto function is very nice of course, as in the Nordics we mostly drive with headlights on even in broad daylight....

One more question, does the coming/leaving home lights also apply for the rear lights or is it just the headlights/fog lights?

Thanks

Hmm that is interesting. Very much so being a more or less plun n play installation. The auto function is very nice of course, as in the Nordics we mostly drive with headlights on even in broad daylight....

One more question, does the coming/leaving home lights also apply for the rear lights or is it just the headlights/fog lights?

Thanks

I suppose that you could try covering the light sensor with black tape and that would result in the headlights being on day and night?

The coming home leaving home function operates the front and rear side lights too.

Steve B

I suppose that you could try covering the light sensor with black tape and that would result in the headlights being on day and night?

The coming home leaving home function operates the front and rear side lights too.

Steve B

Ok thanks - good idea. I am temptning to order this.

The link you gave previously http://www.ebay.com/itm/201073685426 is for a kit where the box doesn't look like the box in the forum thread you also linked to. I read through that thread but maybe this version is the cheaper chinese version, it is the correct one right before I order please?

Also in the thread he has removed the window fan cover and stuff, seems quite alot of work, but as I read the instructions provided I only need to remove the mounting by pressing the light switch in and then turning correct?

Thanks again

Ok thanks - good idea. I am temptning to order this.

The link you gave previously http://www.ebay.com/itm/201073685426 is for a kit where the box doesn't look like the box in the forum thread you also linked to. I read through that thread but maybe this version is the cheaper chinese version, it is the correct one right before I order please?

Also in the thread he has removed the window fan cover and stuff, seems quite alot of work, but as I read the instructions provided I only need to remove the mounting by pressing the light switch in and then turning correct?

Thanks again

There are a few sellers selling slightly different versions but effectively the same parts.

I think that across the members who have fitted one of these we have had all of the different versions / sellers nd they all seem to be the same thing.

As for fitting it.

You remove the existing switch, remove or free up the panel under the dash in that area (I just pulled it down)
feed the sensor up the side of the A pillar, connect the new switch and away you go.

The first few pictures on the thread were from the first time we spotted the kit, the remainder of the thread shows the alternative ways of fitting it, especially by keeping the original "icons" in the switch surround instead of using the icon ring in the kit.

It really is easy though.

Steve B

Last edited:
Order Confirmed: Aluminium AUTO SWITCH +AUTO HEADLIGHT SENSOR for VW JETTA GOLF MK4 Passat B5

Could not resist :)

Order Confirmed: Aluminium AUTO SWITCH +AUTO HEADLIGHT SENSOR for VW JETTA GOLF MK4 Passat B5

Could not resist :)

Yes, at that price it is hard to resist.
I will be buying at least one more kit when I can afford it. For my wife's A2 and possibly an extra one to keep in case any develop a fault. Having said that, I have hadvmine installed for a year now without a hiccup.

Steve B

Yes, at that price it is hard to resist.
I will be buying at least one more kit when I can afford it. For my wife's A2 and possibly an extra one to keep in case any develop a fault. Having said that, I have hadvmine installed for a year now without a hiccup.

Steve B

What's the eBay link/seller you'll be using Steve. I want one too :D

What's the eBay link/seller you'll be using Steve. I want one too :D

Although I am yet to receive the goods the one linked to above seems legit. You better hurry before he runs out of stock, when members here starts hoarding these like Steve :cool::cool:

Mine has no option for this.
Although it has a separate control box (hence not like the one from the link posted above).
The coming home function works only with the headlights. I would have preferred with the fogs...
Anyway, that's still a very interresting upgrade, for a small price.

Back