New to the A2 and want to know what extras to look out for?

Birchall

Dick Chown Award 2016
If you are relatively new to the A2 and you are scanning the Internet for a bargain A2, or fully loaded one, here are some tips to look for on the pictires of the for sale advert

The first thing I look for is the end of the wiper stalk.
If it has a rocker switch on the end, you are in luck, the car has DIS (MPG, full text from the radio etc.)
Then check the electric window switches (only two mean no electric rear windows)
Then look at the side of the seat base, no switch means no electric lumbar support
Then look at the speaker grilles, no "BOSE" badge means that you have the standard amplifier etc.

The picture below shows where to look. (you can learn a lot from the drivers door area!)

tips.JPG

Other desireable extras are

The "Double DIN" music system (twice as deep as the standard one)
This shows the double DIN unit that has a 6 CD changer built in (look for the "LOAD" button on the right, above the radio display)
This shot also shows the heated seat butons, very desirable!
The shot also shows the usual worn buttons, easily replaced, so don't let that put you off.
DIN.JPG

This shows the auto dimming rear view mirror, look for the plastic piece that goes from the back of the mirror up to the top of the screen (plus the LED in the centre bottom of the mirror edge)
Mirror.JPG

The rear centre cupholder box is very desirable too
Cup holder.JPG

Headlight washers are very rare
Wash.JPG

The warning triangle and first aid kit is not rare, but nice to have
The OEM rear power socket is not common and very useful
Triangle and socket.JPG

Look for the tell tale red "i" on the TDi badge, that indicates the 90BHP version instead of the more common 75BHP (unless someone has just swapped badges)
tdi 90.JPG

Leather seats are easily spotted, but the most desirable seats are the Leather / Alcantara seats (the Alantara looks like cloth and the side bolsters are leather)

There are other features to watch out for and I will add them here when I can.

The most obvious include the OSS (Open Sky Sunroof), roof bars, tow bar, front fog lights etc, but they are very obvious.
There is also a VERY rare option of "curtain airbags" known as "Sideguard", look for the air bag sign in the top centre of the B pillar.

If you get any of the above extras they really do add value.

Steve B

Last edited:
Great post Steve. It's not spec related but I always look to the left hand side of the Numberplate when looking front on at an A2. Almost all A2 that have had a light front impact will have two raised lumps. It's quite easy to spot when you see it but it's caused by the front bumper plastic pressing against the metal bumper rail underneath and them popping back out. I will try to find a picture from a for sale add to show what I mean.

Don't forget the electronic climate control which brings aircon with it, also shown on one of Steve's picture. Not all cars have it and if you have round heating dials, no aircon. I've now driven a version without this and trying to keep the windows clear in rain was a nightmare.

Great post Steve. It's not spec related but I always look to the left hand side of the Numberplate when looking front on at an A2. Almost all A2 that have had a light front impact will have two raised lumps. It's quite easy to spot when you see it but it's caused by the front bumper plastic pressing against the metal bumper rail underneath and them popping back out. I will try to find a picture from a for sale add to show what I mean.
And also to look out for the two side pieces of the rear bumper that stick out (normally because of a previous rear end "tap" breaking the top side bumper retaining clips)

Steve B

Last edited:
that's not necessarily an issue, but it does mean the bumper has been off at some point. Not necessarily from an accident...

Stuff you can't add later:
- Aircon
- OSS is possible but difficult

Stuff you cannot change:
- 2 seats to bench seat --> the bodywork is different and so they are not interchangeable

If I think of something else, I'll add it in. Pretty much anything else is possible to retrofit.

- Bret

that's not necessarily an issue, but it does mean the bumper has been off at some point. Not necessarily from an accident...

- Bret

Yes, that could well be the case, but I would wonder why the bumper was taken off (leaking vents perhaps)?

So that is another thing to look out for.

Always open up the battery compartment and see if it is wet in there, it is a bumper off fix (a seller MIGHT claim that it is from it being valetted, but that might not be the case).

I just wanted this thread to focus on the extras, there are some threads already that highlight potential faults.

Steve B

I have the triangle lol

I actually like the basic A2 think it fits the design brief to a T, however should a fully specced car pop up at popcorn money (yeah dream on dateless) i could convince myself i must have it!

Back