Concert 2 CD Chnager Compatability With Glovebox Changer

J3FVW

Apologies if this has been covered in a thread before.

Is the Concert 2 head unit able to control an Audi (Panasonic made) CX-CA1093L glove box 6 disc changer? I'm guessing it probably will but don't want to commit to sourcing one without confirming.

Also if it does what cabling would I need to plumb it in to the HU?

I'm well out of my depth on this one so any advice and pointers would be greatly appreciated!

The Concert 2 will control a CD changer but I'm assuming the CX-CA1093L model referred to is not the standard A2 version which mounts in the boot using a special boot trim side panel and bracket. (let us know if you want the 'how to' guide for this)
Second issue could be that any Audi CD changer is unlikely to fit in the glovebox. The only successful installation I can recall used an Alpine unit.

Cheers Spike

The CX-CA1093L looks like it's single DIN size. I'm pretty sure it would fit in the glove box after some effort as it's an in-dash model.

I've never used an in dash changer before so I'm unsure whether the discs can be changed via the head unit. There are six buttons on the front of the unit for manually changing but if it was hidden away in the glove box then it would be pointless unless the head unit can control it too.

This is a similar unit in the glovebox of an A3
image.jpeg
If I knew the Concert 2 would control it and which cable to use I think it's possible in the A2.

Good idea - its got to be a better location than the boot if you don,t use the glovebox very much and it fits snug. :)

Last edited:
Good idea - its got to be a better location than the boot if you don,t use the glovebox very much and it fits snug. :)

My original plan was to fit the Pioneer head unit that I took out of my last car so that I could use SD cards and USB for my music but (after much deliberation) I think it would spoil the look of the dash with a non OEM unit.

That gives me a problem that I'm not used to changing CD's all the time these days so a changer is the way to go. Boot space is much more important to me than glove box space (plus I've just had a boot mat made so that would be redundant if I bought the factory mounting bits) so if it can be done that's the route I'm going to take. I was reading the article below and it got me thinking. I think it would be really snug and would be even better if the single DIN housing was flocked black for the OEM look.

http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/glovebox-cd-changer-install-pics.36819/

If I knew that the Concert would definitely change discs then I'll have a go!

Last edited:
I notice that this one doesn't have an earth wire where the Kufatec version does.

Personally, I would go with the one with the earth wire. Although it's terminated with a ring, it should go into pin 10 of the 20-pin miniISO connector at the back of the head unit.

Cheers,

Tom

Thanks - the Kufatec one it is then. I've never played about with ISO connectors so I might need to call on your extensive knowledge if I get stuck!

I've just acquired the changer so the game is on...

Last edited:
My changer cable has arrived and after plumping for the version from Car Systems there are a couple of wires (one red and one black) which originate from the changer plug and are left omitted from the mini ISO plug. The wires are "spare" and have the ends stripped ready for something.

Please can someone advise me what I do with them?

The red wire is in position 6 at the changer end and the black wire is in position 9 at the changer end.

Last edited:
My changer cable has arrived and after plumping for the version from Car Systems there are a couple of wires (one red and one black) which originate from the changer plug and are left omitted from the mini ISO plug. The wires are "spare" and have the ends stripped ready for something.

Please can someone advise me what I do with them?

The red wire is in position 6 at the changer end and the black wire is in position 9 at the changer end.

Pin 9 - black wire - this is the Earth for the Audio output of the CD player.
Pin 6 - red wire - CD changer permanent live feed.

The concert 2 does have a live feed and audio earth for the CD player on the 20 pin connector. Perhaps they think that you might want an additional earth to but I am a bit suppressed that the power feed is there too.
Power feed would normally go to pin 16 for the permanent CD live feed and audio ground on pin 18.

regards

Andrew

Pin 9 - black wire - this is the Earth for the Audio output of the CD player.
Pin 6 - red wire - CD changer permanent live feed.

The concert 2 does have a live feed and audio earth for the CD player on the 20 pin connector. Perhaps they think that you might want an additional earth to but I am a bit suppressed that the power feed is there too.
Power feed would normally go to pin 16 for the permanent CD live feed and audio ground on pin 18.

regards

Andrew

CD changer pin out:

1 - CD data output
2 - CD CLK output
3 - Earth
4 - CD data in
6 - Permanent live
7 - Audio Signal Right
8 - Switched positive
9 - Audio Signal Earth
10 - Audio Signal Left

It looks like I should have followed Timmus's advice earlier in the thread.

I was going to buy the cable from Kufatec but decided to go for a cheaper option from Car Systems as my inbuilt sense of Yorkshire thrift noticed a significant saving to be made.

Not only is the Car Systems one more hassle to use it also arrived with some damage to the CD changer plug so I'm returning it and have ordered the Kufatec version instead (I should have done that in the first place - lesson learned!).

Next job is modifying the single DIN housing that I have to fit the A2 glovebox. Now where did I put my profile gauge..... :)

Hello there i too am intersted in fitting a glove box cd changer as also it will be subject to less vibration than the boot mounted version , also hopsfully easier to wire in ... is the panosonic version the same as the audi A3 glove box changer ?...

Hello there i too am intersted in fitting a glove box cd changer as also it will be subject to less vibration than the boot mounted version , also hopsfully easier to wire in ... is the panosonic version the same as the audi A3 glove box changer ?...

The Panasonic changer that I have is from an A3. I'm pretty certain that I will be abandoning my project as I don't want to make any cuts to my glove box to accommodate the changer. It might be for sale if you are interested plus I also have the correct cable to mate it to the Concert II?

Oh cuts to the glove box that sounds ominous i assumed the changer would just slot in ! with only a hole needed for the cable ?. Would you mind explaining why the glove box may need adjustment .....

Oh cuts to the glove box that sounds ominous i assumed the changer would just slot in ! with only a hole needed for the cable ?. Would you mind explaining why the glove box may need adjustment .....

As far as I could see (and I experimented with both cardboard templates and the changer itself) the internal shape of the glovebox is too restrictive for it to be fitted and look OEM. It could be done quite easily if aesthetics aren't an issue but I'm a stickler for things looking right.

If you are interested in having a go drop me a PM :)

Back