Door lock problem, but the lock itself is fine!

edvarda2

Hi!
I have a beautiful A2 1,4 petrol. Everything works fine, but the rear doorlock on the passenger side (right) doesnt work. All other locks work fine. I hear a clicking sound from the door when I open with remote, but not when I close. Have tried changing the lock three times, same result. So the problem must be elsewhere. Have been to a Audi mech, and after some searching, he says there are error codes on 3 of 4 doors. (But except for this one, all doors locks and opens fine.) Also, the Audi mech says next step is starting changing components, wiring system, etc etc., and he admits this will cost a lot. Before this, I would like to try all other solutions. Could somebody PLEASE help me, probably I will need wiring system drawings and some tips. My guess is a broken electric wire in the door, and easy way to check this? By the way, the car have full electric windows.

Scan.
Then disconnect the battery for 10-15 minutes and reconnect and see what happens.

Without a scan, you are guessing at best.

- Bret

Hi, thanks for quick reply. The Audi mech who have worked so far have scanned, and there are fault codes on 3 of 4 doors, which he dont understand, cause almost everything is working fine. Anyway, based on his advice, scanning didnt give us any more info. I dont think they tried disconnecting and connecting battery, do you mean this makes a difference? Software problems?

I will repeat myself: the scan of the doors is essential. Is the error "won't de-safe"? and is it intermittent or permanent?

The log of the scan is necessary. I suspect you've taken it either to an Audi dealer or to a medium-competent mechanic around the corner, neither of which understand how the locking works on the A2.

In a 4-electric window A2, the locking pulses are sent via CAN. Which means teh TSG - Türsteuergerät - Door control box - must interpret and execute. TSGs occasionally fall off the CAN network and require a reboot. This is done with a removal of the battery for a while and then re-connecting. In a 2-e-window A2, there's a physical cable which carries the control signal; 2 and 4-window CCCUs are slightly different because of this.
Errors with intermittent "won't de-safe" are a common sign of microswitches failing, which normally means replacing the door lock. A further sign of this is the door in question clicking when the ignition is turned on.

so: scan. Post the full log of the doors / CCCU and then let's see where we go from there. An electrical wiring diagram is NOT available legally, but you can go into ErWIN online and get it for a small fee (€5 or so for an hour's access).

The simplest thing to do really is to scan, then disconnect, make and drink some kaffe and then reconnect. See what happens.

- Bret

Hi again, thanks. Sorry, I dont mean to challenge or question you, just trying to learn a little. The Audi mech I refer to is an independant Audi tech, working only with Audis. Last time I saw his guys working on some A6s, two A8s, two R8s there etc. Nevertheless, they might lack the knowledge or interest in my car's el system. Just two final questions before action: You write "won't de-safe". The door with the problem is unlocking, but will not lock. Anyway, maybe thats indifferent? Another thing, you write scan, then disconnect. To scan the car, I must drive it to some guy with a computer. Not so easy a friday night. Is it any point to try to disconnect the battery without scanning first, or do you mean scan, erase all faults, then disconnect? Thank you so much for your help so far.

Spoke with the mech again, he says they have erased the log of codes, so he vannot mail them to me, but he remember it reported missing contact beetween control units and lock in doors.

Spoke with the mech again, he says they have erased the log of codes, so he vannot mail them to me, but he remember it reported missing contact beetween control units and lock in doors.

As Bretti has said, the battery disconnect, wait, and then reconnect hat has been known to work on similar issues like this in the past.

Your local Audi mechanics may never have even seen an A2 before or might not have worked on them, so please do consider that people like Bretti and others on here have worked on those specific issues before and have a LOT of A2 knowledge.

Steve B

so it will be türsteuergerät (no communication) sporadic or permanent.

it's dropped off the network. A reset should help. If it doesn't, check the connections within the door pillars are seated correctly and dry.

- Bret

Hi again. I tried disconnecting battery 30 mins then reconnect, but no change. I noticed something else. When I push the button to unlock the door, I hear a click from the control box. I also hear a louder click at the same time from the door lock. When I push button to lock the door, I hear the same type of click from the control box, and, strangely, also a click from the door lock. But this time not as loud, and the door lock doesnt engage. As stated before, the lock itself has been changed 3 times now, so I must assume this is working. Wiring and contacts between control box and lock looks fine. Seems like the door lock gets some power, but not enough to engage the lock when I try to close it. I now suspect the control box is broken. Tomorrow I will try switching control boxes between the two rear doors. That might tell me something. And scanning, of course.

Hi again. I tried disconnecting battery 30 mins then reconnect, but no change. I noticed something else. When I push the button to unlock the door, I hear a click from the control box. I also hear a louder click at the same time from the door lock. When I push button to lock the door, I hear the same type of click from the control box, and, strangely, also a click from the door lock. But this time not as loud, and the door lock doesnt engage. As stated before, the lock itself has been changed 3 times now, so I must assume this is working. Wiring and contacts between control box and lock looks fine. Seems like the door lock gets some power, but not enough to engage the lock when I try to close it. I now suspect the control box is broken. Tomorrow I will try switching control boxes between the two rear doors. That might tell me something. And scanning, of course.

Have now unmounted door panel on the oher backdoor, and switched control units. Now the problem is on the other door, and right hand door works fine. In other words, I need to go and get a new control unit, then everything will be fine. Hallelujah!

they will be hard to find second hand. Bildelsbasen might have such a thing in stock,. but I'd go looking based on the 8z0 partnumber and see how far you get. New I figure you're looking at several hundred €, especially in Norway.

- Bret

Hi, I got a control unit for ca 60 E incl postage. Actually, several norwegian carwreck dealers can supply this, prices from E50 and up. Locks are now working fine!

Back