Lupo 3l -need help

Hi , i have a Lupo 3l and im having some annoying problems with this car since i bought it .
1 when engine is cold at idle i have lots of vibrations and clattering noises like the engine mounts are broken, which are not ,so this possibility is excluded .I noticed that at idle rpms are fluctuating from 840 to 861 , torsion value is 0.0 to -0.5 from time to time .I noticed that if i press very gently the gas pedal the vibration and hard noises dissapear like magic , so i raised the rpms at 860 -880 .Best sound of the engine is with the rpms at 880-900 and at this rpms the car is very quite . I have to mention that the vibrations and clattering noises are significant low when the engine is hot , but i still have the clattering noise under torque and when downshifting gears also when gliding in neutral(eco).
I want to fix the problem since raising the rpms is not a permanent fix .
2 My dashboard is showing a very high consumptin then in real life , and i cant find if this is procent or a fixed value;for istance at consumption 4.4 l showed i have real consumption of 3.1 ,at 5.7 the real consump is 4.3 and i had even 6.9 and real was 4.5 .
What i found with Vag that my dashboard is coded with the 1.9 diesel Pd , and the 1.2 pd is not shown in coding , only 1.4 pd and tdi and gas models ;i found this strange even if the coding cant be changed .the tires are new and respect the car dimensions .i also record 0.5-0.6 l/h at idle .
Sorry for the long post

Check the mounts fully. On the RHS (looking forward) there are long bolts going into the block. These should be changed every time the timing belt is renewed. Also check the compression on each cylinder.

What is the part no. of the ECU?

RAB

Part No is 6E0 920 800 J. Timing belt was changed 10k , 6months ago , and i think this is the mount that has to be removed for the belt to be changed and it was in good shape then .Motor feels very stiffed ,cant feel any play if i try to "shake " it .Is there other way to check it ?The bolts should be changed or the mounts ?Can u help me with the part no of the mount or the bolts that need to be changed ?
Thank you

Last edited:
So if got that right ,i should have change the motor mount along with the bolts , and also the long bolts ,when i changed the timing belt?

Correct but not necessarily the mount, unless it has been tampered with.

RAB

I dont seem to find those long bolts .what are they supose to do ?My steering wheel is on the left side so i should i see them on LHS in front of the passenger side ?A part no ? Sorry for so many questions but at this point the mechanics do whatever i told them to and charge apropriatly even if they think there nothing wrong with the parts since they all dont know what is the problem

The bolts are in the link, 18 & 19. All 3L's are LHD! The bolts will only be the cause of the problem if they are broken, whereas the mount may be if it has been tampered with.

RAB

Checked the car yesterday , the bolts are ok , the mounts are ok , the bone mount is brandnew , i will try to change the gearbox mount to see if something will change ,its cheaper ;also checked the "alternator flywheel" wich seems to be ok too.the consumption showed is 8.2 now on 60 km in town .i discovered that my tank shows 32 l wich is false , i always fill the tank until it overspills and im using the black knob for reserve too so i must have atleast 41 l in the tank .im starting to hate this car .

Last edited:
The "bone" mount is the gearbox mount, so do you mean that the engine mount is new? Where does the tank "show" 32L? Are you sure that someone has not tampered with your ECU?

RAB

6E0199851 -part no 13 is new .Ill try to change part no 4 -6E0199555D. I dont know if someone messed with my ecu coz i bought this car second hand and i dont have other values to compare with .Like i said i dont know what should the rpms and consumption at idle should be ...
Dont remember where exactly but in vag i think there is something like status, not in channels and there u can select fuel tank ,rpms ,etc

Last edited:
The correct torque for the bolt holding part no. 6E0199167F together is 40Nm +90°.

RAB

Ok so i bought and changed the gearbox mount part6E0199555D and viaual inspected the motor mount 6E0199167F
that has some oil in it and its very expensive and its not leeked or chipped .Situation is the same i still have vibrations and nock sounds when im idleing in eco and when the car is left in D whithout brake pedal pressed and its try to move forward without helping it with the gas pedal.This is getting frustrating .Now i have a spare gearbox mount and same problems

What is the history of this problem? What was done to the car immediately before the problem appeared (if anything)? Injector or chain related?

RAB

I have the same problem since i bought the car .injector on vag seems more the ok .i repeat , if i raise the rpms the sounds on idle dissapear and while idleing in eco i have the same sound but slightly less .Lupo 3l doesnt have chain , has belt which i removed it with all the kit 7 months ago.water pomp vibrations damper ...

The ANY and AYZ also have a chain that drives the oil pump and balancing shaft. Any error codes?

RAB

Didnt knew that , no one touched the chain since i have the car , and no one mention that this should be done.The car never had any errors since i bought it .so just to say it again .if the car stays over night and the engine is cold , at normal idle i have vibrations and knocking sound as if the mount are bad but not completly broken like maybe exhaust hit something .also if i touch any electric buttons like window blinker lights , vibrations gets worse .after i drive the car and the engine is hot , at idle the virbations and noises dissapears, but i still have it when im cruising in eco on idle and when the car is in D and i dont touch the gas pedal .i thought maybe battery is discharged and alternator is trying to recharge too often and thats when rpms slightly fall, co after i drive the car and engine is hot if i mess with electrics there are no more vibrations , or maybe the motor mount is not broke but its too weak .if i drive the car in normal mode or manual mode there are no vibrations while i drive .i have vibrations and sound only on idle on lights which i make dissapear if i slightly press the pedal and raise the rpms at 880-900 and they dissapear completly after engine is warm and electrics buttons dont affect rpms.

Last edited:
Hello,

My name is Peter and I am from Poland. I bought my Lupo 3L 1.2 TDI ANY 2 years ago, I am the fourth owner. Production Year end of 2000 and about 230 000 km driven.

I have the same problem as mentioned above - everything is nice, when You press accelerate or brake pedal on low speeds everything is fine, but without it - it keeps vibrating and not running smoothly (instead of going forward, it goes more to left/right)

My mechanic said the fault was in the engine mounts - The engine works equally on "N", the problem is on "E" or at reverse, when it does not run smoothly without stepping on gas.

So I bought 3 used mounting parts - and I can say there is a little improvement. But the vibrations are still noticable.

I bought the new engine mount part -brand new engine mount - 6E0199167F for a bargain price about 60 Pounds + delivery costs.

I am going to let the mechanic mount it on the beginning of May - with the instruction from VW, with exact torque.

So, I will write on forum if there is noticable improvement in this......as they say "one test is better than 1000 wonderings".

So after some days of running - I have the new mount - 6E0199167F - it works noticably better.

New rubber is the new rubber - although basically You can't see the difference in looking at it, but - this the new one is supressing a lot more of vibrations.

Now the vibrations are more noticable on the "below" side - there, where the second and third engine mount is located (they come more from the gearbox like) I will replace both of them for the new ones as well in 3 week time.

Last edited:
Guys, i have changed the leaked right mount on my lupo 3l using a second hand one, and it's better but if i could raise the idle rpm by just a tad, it would be perfect. Is it possible to raise idle rpm on a 3L engine, and if so, how?

Back