Anyone tried mfsw from a1

You mean like mine?

Well it is actually a current model TT wheel (post 2012) but it is the same as an A1 and a single stage airbag as well.

I would suggest that you contact Tom (Timmus) he spent several hours working out how this was done on my car.

It looks like Tom will soon be able to offer this service!!

Air vents.jpg

Steve B

Last edited:
I saw yours which was what prompted me to look,I overlooked the fact that yours was a single stage bag and just assumed the tt was a dual stage.from memory I think yours was a lot of money but the a1 that I linked to didn't seem a bad price for starters.
Looks like a job for Tom then :) thanks

Yes, airbags are something that should not be modified (in my view) so I would only ever fit a single stage one on an A2.

Mine was on the expensive side but they did the complete installation and the wheel was brand new and the official price from Audi was significant. The one in the link you posted seems to be a great price.

After all, your only skin contact with your car when driving, is on the steering wheel. The chunky feel (and look) of the wheel is WELL worth it.

Tom will look after you, he has done a ton of work on several A2s in our family (as well as "the project") and the only thing that i am not happy with is that there is nothing left for him to do.

When you have had a visit from Tom you feel as if your car has become even more fun and more pleasant to drive.

I do have to state that these are my own thoughts based on my own first-hand experience and not an official club recommendation.

Steve B

Last edited:
Think I have managed to decode that !
I have messaged tom to see what he can do for me,amazing how it modernises the driving position.
Thanks

Sorry about the typos. When i use my phone and my thick fingers and rush a reply it can go very wrong.

Out of all of the mods and retrofits, a modern steering wheel is the biggest "driving experience" improvement i have had.

Steve B

£400 doesn't seem too bad, I thought they were a lot more actually. I need a couple of other things in place before I want to be changing the steering wheel again though.

I thought it was a reasonable price also,considering its with airbag,don't know what else is required though and the associated costs so I guess the wheels only a minor percentage of total cost.

I thought it was a reasonable price also,considering its with airbag,don't know what else is required though and the associated costs so I guess the wheels only a minor percentage of total cost.

You will need to get hold of the correct steering wheel controller and carry out some clever wiring electrickery!

Steve B

If I wasn't looking to integrate The MF into the DIS or stereo would something like this fit straight on.

I have a Chorus with X-CarLink and not too interested in the integration fitting cost right now due to building works but do like the idea of updating the interface between me and the road.

If this it a simple straight fit, would it still cancel the indicators etcetera.

Thanks for your time.

Kind regards,

Tom

If I wasn't looking to integrate The MF into the DIS or stereo would something like this fit straight on.

I have a Chorus with X-CarLink and not too interested in the integration fitting cost right now due to building works but do like the idea of updating the interface between me and the road.

If this it a simple straight fit, would it still cancel the indicators etcetera.

Thanks for your time.

Kind regards,

Tom

Hi Tom,

The cancelling of the indicators is done by the Steering angle sensor and so if you were happy for the buttons to not work then it should be a straight forward swap.
BUT, please can we have confirmation from the experts as to if the Air Bag connector is just plug and play?

No matter what I think you should not listen to anyone other than someone who knows for sure that it will operate the air bag correctly.

Steve B

Good evening all,

Now most of us are in from work I thought I'd bump this up to see if there is an answer to my earlier question (post #10).

For now I'd be happy to just have an updated steering wheel and worry about integrating the MF buttons at a later date.

Thanks for your time.

Kind regards,

Tom

Last edited:
Even for the basics (horn and airbag) I'm sure you will need a custom wiring loom.
Closest I could find on the web was a MK1 to MK11 TT conversion. - http://www.ttforum.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=281355&start=45
This is not a 'how to' but you get the idea how old and new harnesses need to be adapted to make one unit

This seemed to be a 2 stage airbag but I think the latest A1s and TTs are now single stage.

I've seen reports of 2 stage airbags wired as single stage not going off but have no idea how safe later single stage wheels are when fitted to the different igniter system on the A2. Add a million or two to your budget if you want to have it crash tested by MIRA

Most people change the car wheel and airbag back to standard when selling - just to save the risk of lawsuits if the new owner happened to have a tragic accident.

Cheers Spike

image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegAnyone know what the relevance of the airbag connector plug colour is?
Suppose it would be to simple to expect to remove the harness from the a1 wheel and fit the a2 harness,which is a simple one of 4 wires from the black connector to the slip ring,2 being the horn and 2 for the airbag culminating in the purple/yellow connector, The a1 bag has yellow/orange.
The yellow plug that goes to the sr on the a1 doesn't look anything like the 4 wire one on the a2 going of the photos.

We were asked to look at this upgrade for a forum member some months ago. Having fitted the older TT steering wheel with thumb rollers to a couple of A2's it is a relatively simple adaption to configure the wiring and fit the wheel the OP has linked to. Evidence that it works is Steve's A2. I have purchased such a wheel for my A2 but have not had the time to fit it. The connections to A2 slip ring are different to the connections for the later generation airbag/slip rings and will require a custom harness.

A word of caution though...

From the link in Spike's post it is apparent that there is an amount of uncertainty as to how to wire the two stage airbag system into a single stage controller. There is also uncertainty as to the required feedback resistance the controller looks for - this condition is monitored constantly when the ignition is on. Also, don't assume that the wiring coding between vehicle platforms is the same.

PLEASE NEVER TEST AN AIRBAG CIRCUIT WITH A MULTI-METER - these instruments use a voltage to test circuits and the possibility of an accidental deployment is very real!

Should you entrust this, or any other non-standard modification to your car, it may be prudent to verify if the company/person has appropriate industry training qualifications and experience, and is adequately insured - especially when airbag work is undertaken.

blue skies

tony

We were asked to look at this upgrade for a forum member some months ago. Having fitted the older TT steering wheel with thumb rollers to a couple of A2's it is a relatively simple adaption to configure the wiring and fit the wheel the OP has linked to. Evidence that it works is Steve's A2. I have purchased such a wheel for my A2 but have not had the time to fit it. The connections to A2 slip ring are different to the connections for the later generation airbag/slip rings and will require a custom harness.

A word of caution though...

From the link in Spike's post it is apparent that there is an amount of uncertainty as to how to wire the two stage airbag system into a single stage controller. There is also uncertainty as to the required feedback resistance the controller looks for - this condition is monitored constantly when the ignition is on. Also, don't assume that the wiring coding between vehicle platforms is the same.

PLEASE NEVER TEST AN AIRBAG CIRCUIT WITH A MULTI-METER - these instruments use a voltage to test circuits and the possibility of an accidental deployment is very real!

Should you entrust this, or any other non-standard modification to your car, it may be prudent to verify if the company/person has appropriate industry training qualifications and experience, and is adequately insured - especially when airbag work is undertaken.

blue skies

tony

Hi tony,
the wheel I linked to is a single stage airbag,so in your experience do you think it's correct for me to assume that the wheel harness from the a2 (4 wires) can be replaced onto the new wheel,maybe with the possibility of changing the actual 2 pin connector.
Or are the connectors that plug in to the airbag standardised even though they are different colours?

The connector (yellow with pull-out retainer) to the airbag is pretty much standard and should not be tampered with. If you do go ahead with this mod, you will need to adapt the connector to the slip ring - this is where the interface is different.
Again, if you are unsure - do not proceed with the upgrade. For obvious reasons, we will not advise on how to undertake this particular alteration - I trust you understand.

As a further caution, static discharge can also cause accidental deployment of an airbag!

blue skies

tony

blue skies

tony

Granted, but there is no industry training for swapping steering wheels.
What there is though is a lot of training relating to electronics and wiring looms such as this.
So if the person you are using has these credentials then that to me is as good as you get.

When it comes to safety you want to ensure that you are using a knowledgeable and experienced person who cares about what they do. I know of plenty of people who have walls papered in certificates and qualifications that I wouldn't trust to mend my cooker let alone letting them loose on an air bag.

So I agree with Tony in that you MUST use competent people who are insured and registered, but the additional requirements are competency and experience.

Steve B

The connector (yellow with pull-out retainer) to the airbag is pretty much standard and should not be tampered with. If you do go ahead with this mod, you will need to adapt the connector to the slip ring - this is where the interface is different.
Again, if you are unsure - do not proceed with the upgrade. For obvious reasons, we will not advise on how to undertake this particular alteration - I trust you understand.

As a further caution, static discharge can also cause accidental deployment of an airbag!

blue skies

tony

Thanks for the explanation,certainly understand you can't advise on doing it.
So if the connector for the airbag is standardised (even though different colours) theoretically utilising the a2 wheel loom from the slip ring (4 wires,2 for horn and 2 for airbag) should be simple or am I missing something?
You mention interface connector being where it's different,isn't the connector this 4wire black plug and the yellow multi pin plug on the mfsw or is the slip ring itself a none compatible interface for a different airbag?

Hi Ian

the reason you are not getting much response to your question about the air bag connections is due to the fact that this is a safety feature and people will not post anything on those subjects unless they are 100% confident in the advice.

Sorry
Steve B

Back