Air bag light is on

scott

A2OC Donor
The air bag light has randomly come on on the a2. I tried disconnecting the battery for a while but it stayed on and plugged it in to the diagnostic computer at work but didn't have long to read the faults because it was on my lunch break and now I can't remember properly what it said! It just told me what area the airbag fault was in I think. I was wondering if their is a common fault of some sort with the wiring under the seat or something that I can be pointed toward?

Thanks

Scott

I think the fault may have pointed to some form of high resistance ?. My wifes Golf,s airbag warning light came on and the first thing we did was check the wiring block connector under the seat. It was ok so i called out a mobile technician and it turned out that the wiring under the seat had broken (through fair wear and tear) inside the loom - she has a habit of forcing the seat back whenever she gets out of the car bless her.

He unravelled the loom - reconnected the wires and all was good - no warning light and the charge was £40. :)

The air bag light has randomly come on on the a2. I tried disconnecting the battery for a while but it stayed on and plugged it in to the diagnostic computer at work but didn't have long to read the faults because it was on my lunch break and now I can't remember properly what it said! It just told me what area the airbag fault was in I think. I was wondering if their is a common fault of some sort with the wiring under the seat or something that I can be pointed toward?

Thanks

Scott

As "Special Edition" has said, this is likely to be the connectors, but make sure!!!

Yes, there is a reasonably common cause for this, but that does not mean that it is the case with yours!

But check the connectors under both front seats, they can sometimes be kicked by rear passengers and become disconnected.

If either is loose you can tape it firmly together to ensure it doesn't come out again.

As for the air bag light that needs to be reset using the proper equipment, such as full VCDS.
It stays on until reset.

Steve B

Thanks, I think it might be under the drivers seat, I put my training bag on the back seat once and it fell down behind the front seat, since then the light has come on! Iv checked the plug and that is fine but I couldn't see an obvious break in the wire.

There may not even be a break in the wiring.
It MIGHT be that it disturbed the connection momentarily. The air bag light would stay on.

But you need to get a scan to see which air bag caused this. It could be a genuine air bag failure.

You need a scan to be able to reset the warning anyway, but please make sure you know which one it is before you get it cleared.

Steve B

Last edited:
I have the diagnostic equipment at work, we are v.a.g aproved and have to plug each vag group vehicle in before and after repairs and then send the information to Germany using a key code that changed every minute or so. I don't fully understand how to use the system year and it's hard to find the time! But I will have another look at it next time I can. When I plugged it in last week went through every thing and told me an injector is at 98% But I knew it was going!

So my mot is due next month and I still haven't sorted this problem out! I plugged it in to a computer and it is saying open circuit so that would mean a break in the wire? Plug unplugged? I've checked the plugs and that are connected properly, so can anyone give me any tips on how to find a break in the wire?

Thanks

Scott

So my mot is due next month and I still haven't sorted this problem out! I plugged it in to a computer and it is saying open circuit so that would mean a break in the wire? Plug unplugged? I've checked the plugs and that are connected properly, so can anyone give me any tips on how to find a break in the wire?

Thanks

Scott

The most common cause is the plug under each seat. They often get kicked by rear seat passengers.

I would check them first, but remember even when reconnected the airbag light stays in until reset.

Sorry if you already knew this.

Steve B

Last edited:
Thanks Steve, I've checked both plugs and they seem to be fine, I'll have to plug the car in again and see if it will clear now then.

Thanks

Hi re-opening old thread.

I've removed both front seats but i think as a consequence the air bag light has come on. I'll need to reset and whilst I dont have VCDS I do have obdeleven which should do everything VCDS does - does anyone have the menu sequence on how to get to and reset the light?

Last edited:
Hi re-opening old thread.

I've removed both front seats but i think as a consequence the air bag light has come on. I'll need to reset and whilst I dont have VCDS I do have obdeleven which should do everything VCDS does - does anyone have the menu sequence on how to get to and reset the light?

Removal of the rear seats per se doesn't cause the airbag warning light to come on, but switching on the ignition without the front seats fitted does. So, if you've ever got the front seats out, just don't turn the key!

I'm not familiar with the OBD device you're using, but you're looking to enter the airbag control module, read all fault codes and then clear them.

Cheers,

Tom

Removal of the rear seats per se doesn't cause the airbag warning light to come on, but switching on the ignition without the front seats fitted does. So, if you've ever got the front seats out, just don't turn the key!

I'm not familiar with the OBD device you're using, but you're looking to enter the airbag control module, read all fault codes and then clear them.

Cheers,

Tom

Yup it was indeed front seats - I had to start the car to lock the car without a front seat fitted.

good shout on clearing - i forgot it does scan then allow you to clear down fault codes - d'oh!

Cheers

good shout on clearing - i forgot it does scan then allow you to clear down fault codes - d'oh!

Yep, it's the clearing of the fault codes that causes the warning light to go off. However, fairly obviously, unless all seats are fitted with the airbags connected, the light will come straight back on again!

Cheers,

Tom

Back