Looking for a brand new headlamp switch? Less than £12 ???

Birchall

Dick Chown Award 2016
Hi,

I have no way of finding out if this switch is compatible (EDIT ----- It IS compatible and it works !!!!!!) or not but at £12 including postage it might be worth buying one to see if it works?

It seems to have the right rear connector, is designed for VW group cars and so it just MIGHT be a cheap option.

I would normally buy this myself and experiment, but I don't have the funds (however small they are) for an experiment at the moment.

Any brave and helpful members want to investigate this option?
It has the icon ring included as part of the switch, but the auto headlight kits also have that and yet the icon ring can be removed (unclips) and the standard one may well line up ok? (since this does not have the auto function the icons may well line up ok.)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-Euro-He...3685426&tpos=top&ttype=coupon&talgo=undefined

Anyone?

Steve B

Last edited:
did you see the number plate light?

Its been so long since I done mine but look comparable for $6.47

No I didn't spot that, but they do have a few interesting items (although not shown as A2 fitments)

The window switches look interesting too, the panels might be different but surely the switches are the same?

I have bought things from China in the past and I am always amazed at the prices and more so at the delivery charges (often free as here) but I believe that the government subsidise the delivery fees.

Steve B

There is always a risk when they do not show as compatible with the A2 (in fact they don't even list the A2 in their options for anything).

There is also a risk regarding quality.

BUT, at those prices it is well worth the risk in my view.

A new headlamp switch for £12? Compared to £112 or so ?

The number plate lights do look the same, as do the window switches?

But you can't go by looks alone (as I keep telling my wife!)

Steve B

There is always a risk when they do not show as compatible with the A2 (in fact they don't even list the A2 in their options for anything).

There is also a risk regarding quality.

BUT, at those prices it is well worth the risk in my view.

A new headlamp switch for £12? Compared to £112 or so ?

The number plate lights do look the same, as do the window switches?

But you can't go by looks alone (as I keep telling my wife!)

Steve B
c0b5c1fa90de4b737f54256613c2aa48.jpg

I can confirm the window switches fit well. Passenger side connection is different for pre 2003 cars

James

Hi i think you will find that the switch will not be an A2 fitment due to the plug will be the same as the "auto light" switches. Switches for the windows look good though james. cheers mike

Hi i think you will find that the switch will not be an A2 fitment due to the plug will be the same as the "auto light" switches. Switches for the windows look good though james. cheers mike

No, as I said, this one seems to have the right rear connector.
This one has the full size plug and not the small plug as used on the auto headlight kits.

That was the first thing I checked.

HL.jpg

Steve B

Last edited:
Sorry Steve I missed that part of your post. Cheers Mike
Hi Mike

no problem, I was convinced that it would be the small connector on the back too. So I was pleasantly surprised when I saw the socket that looks like the one in the A2.
As I say though, there is still no guarrantee it is compatible but well worth investigating at that price.

Steve B

Hi James,

I am need of a new drivers side window switch as my drivers switch no longer lowers the passenger window, it does raise it though.

My switch arrangement is the same as yours, I do not have rear electric windows.

Can you confirm which item you fitted from this eBay seller.

Kind regards,

Tom

First post from a new A2 owner :) And also someone in need of a new light switch. Some of the lights on my current switch don't work anymore and the parking light function is also dead, the headlights don't turn off when I turn the switch to the parking / side light position.

To get this straight, you guys are thinking about removing the emblem ring around the switch, and clipping it on to the existing facia with the integrated headlight level adjustment and instrument illumination dials?

First post from a new A2 owner :) And also someone in need of a new light switch. Some of the lights on my current switch don't work anymore and the parking light function is also dead, the headlights don't turn off when I turn the switch to the parking / side light position.

To get this straight, you guys are thinking about removing the emblem ring around the switch, and clipping it on to the existing facia with the integrated headlight level adjustment and instrument illumination dials?

Yes, but that is only because there is a kit that includes the Automatic headlights with coming home and leaving home function and it uses the same set up.

The ring clips off that and the auto switch slots straight into the A2 mounting. So I am pretty sure that this switch (without the auto functions) will do the same. You can see the clips that hold the icon ring in place in one of the pictures.

It is not known if this wutch will definitely fit, but it does look like it.

You could always play safe and buy the auto headlight kit that includes a new switch, takes 15 minutes to fit (no wiring involved) and costs less than £40 !!!

See this post for full details (read through it fully to see the end results)
[h=1]Automatic light + Coming / Leaving home[/h]
But as I said at first, if this switch fits as it MAY do, then it is a bargain price at around £12.

Oh, and welcome to a great club.

Steve B

Last edited:
Yes, but that is only because there is a kit that includes the Automatic headlights with coming home and leaving home function and it uses the same set up.

The ring clips off that and the auto switch slots straight into the A2 mounting. So I am pretty sure that this switch (without the auto functions) will do the same. You can see the clips that hold the icon ring in place in one of the pictures.

Thanks! I take it any light switch from a VW Golf 4/5 will also work? I don't want the auto lights as my car is not equipped with the R/L sensor, but could use a new switch.

Thanks! I take it any light switch from a VW Golf 4/5 will also work? I don't want the auto lights as my car is not equipped with the R/L sensor, but could use a new switch.
The kit includes the light sensor too.

As for the compatibility of these other non-auto switches I cannot comment.
I have not tried them. I fitted the auto kit and that is fine.

Steve B

Last edited:
I have decided that I should put my money where my mouth is and buy one of these headlight switches and see it is fits and works!!

I am pretty confident it will, so here goes.

Just have to wait for the journey from China!!!

Steve B

Last edited:
I genuinly hope this light switch fits Steve - thankyou. It could be a big saving on the £117 Audi dealer price and i,d be interested to hear the result. I could have experimented and taken the one out of my wifes MK6 Golf but she won,t let me and i don,t blame her. :)

I genuinly hope this light switch fits Steve - thankyou. It could be a big saving on the £117 Audi dealer price and i,d be interested to hear the result. I could have experimented and taken the one out of my wifes MK6 Golf but she won,t let me and i don,t blame her. :)
It won't arrive for a couple of weeks at least but if it works it would be quite a find, almost as much a bargain as the whole Auto Headlight kit.

Steve B

Good news!!!

The new headlight switch arrived today from China.

As I say £12 including delivery brand new and slightly newer style .

Does it fit? yes, perfectly, it is a straight replacement.

Does it work? Yes perfectly (and it has the front and rear fog light function.

Was it easy to fit? YES definitely

Was it a bargain? at £12 or so all in, I don't need to answer that

This is the before shot of the well worn switch (the surround is worn too but the car has done 229,000 miles!)

IMG_1372.JPG

This is the new switch (ok so it has a chrome edge to the switch but that looks OEM anyway and matches the Auto headlight switch).

IMG_1373.JPG

Note that this comes with the "icon ring" fitted so you need to unclip this.

Also unclip the chrome effect piece on the centre switch (it need to be prised apart at the open end, quite stroongly so be careful)
You need to remove this to get the icon ring off and also to get the new switch into the surround.

IMG_1377.JPG

Then simply push the headlamp switch into the surround and then replace he chrome effect centre clip.
It then looks like this when in place (again, I need a new surround too).

IMG_1380.JPG

As you can see, the icons illuminate correctly (and the fog operation (front and rear) woks too)

Yes the inner centre of the switch is recessed when compared to the old switch but it still looks fine to me.

So £12 for a brand new light switch delivered? Not bad eh?

I have left the link to the seller in the first post on this thread.

Steve B

Last edited:
Back