Changing track rod / tie rod

TDIaholic

I was changing the oil on my 1.4tdi yesterday, and noticed the inner uniball joint of the passenger (LHD) side track rod / tie rod is a bit lose and needs changing. Does anyone have experience with this? I'll probably order a completely new track rod from Lemforder including the tie rod end and gaiter, so it should be a matter or taking the old one out and putting the new one in. What size keys are needed for the inner end, and will I need to drop the subframe? I don't have the special tool for this that ELSA recommends, but instead I thought I'd use 2 spanners to undo the inner end.

doesn't ELSA also spec the steps? I'd be very surprised if you need to drop the subframe. Personally, I had the rod ends replaced rather than the complete rod.

- Bret

east to do, no special tools needed and no need to drop the subframe, done my right one a few years ago and my last mot the left was an advisory so will need doing soon. remove inner gaitor, remove and break outer balljont and unscrew from the rack. replace both tie rod and track rod end. measure you old and compare to the new one to get the tracking as near as you can. once back together get the tracking done.
its an hour and a half from start to finish and dead easy

Make sure you get the correct parts depending on year extra items may be required.( I was talking to TPS yesterday)

Thanks for the tips! I was able to work out a good deal with the company who sold me the car and they replaced it for me for a nominal fee. At least I'll know what to do when the other one goes :)

I also noticed there are several versions. My car has 1N2 electro-hydraulic steering and I see that one uses a different part than 1N6, which I believe is just normal power steering?

east to do, no special tools needed and no need to drop the subframe, done my right one a few years ago and my last mot the left was an advisory so will need doing soon. remove inner gaitor, remove and break outer balljont and unscrew from the rack. replace both tie rod and track rod end. measure you old and compare to the new one to get the tracking as near as you can. once back together get the tracking done.
its an hour and a half from start to finish and dead easy
Say what?
There is a flat part on the steering rack that must be used to counter hold when unscrewing and screwing on the inner tie rod. The torque is 80 nm. The subframe must come down...

Sure a tie rod tool will work fine, counter hold if possible sounds like best practice!!

I did this job today after my last post. Subframe down. No way in hell I could do without that. I put in a new steering boot with the new inner tie rod. Let me tell you I was barely man enough to loosen the inner tie rod with a couple of 25 cm wrenches. (Mind you I did this lying on my back in the gravel.). I can't imagine applying that twisting force to the steering rack without a counter hold... I think this would be crazy and irresponsible.

Last edited:
That's what I use with 1/2 extension and strong bar, 80nm in theory shouldn't take much effort to overcome but I haven't done any A2 ones in fairness, both mine would benefit thou

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230702_225951_com.android.chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230702_225951_com.android.chrome.jpg
    600.5 KB · Views: 64
Back