Service Offered: DIS Supply and Fit

timmus

A2OC Donor
Hello fellow A2 enthusiasts,

I offer a Driver Information System (DIS) upgrade service. This is a complete service that includes the supply of all necessary parts, installation and the required software adjustments. The service is open to all owners of right-hand-drive, UK-spec A2s, though I have also fitted DIS to plenty of left-hand-drive A2s.

Introduction

DIS brings together different information in the centre of the instrument cluster. Unlike standard instrument clusters that have only a small screen capable of displaying a few basics, instrument clusters with DIS have a much larger, interactive screen. The DIS controls comprise two menu selection buttons and a reset button on the windscreen wiper stalk to the right of the steering wheel.

1.jpg

There are many different part numbers for DIS-equipped instrument clusters, determined by a variety of factors such as engine size, fuel type, fuel tank volume and year of manufacture. Upgrading to DIS requires an instrument cluster suitable for the specific vehicle, but I have a near-limitless supply of instrument clusters suitable for all UK A2s.

So, what’s included with a DIS installation? The graphics below illustrate the many features that come as part of this upgrade...

Core Features

2.jpg

1. Instantaneous Fuel Efficiency:
    This function shows the fuel efficiency at that very moment in time. The computer calculates the efficiency every 30 metres. When the vehicle is stationary, the last calculated value is displayed. The instantaneous fuel efficiency display can be used to adjust driving style in order to minimise fuel consumption.
  2. Average Fuel Efficiency:
    This function shows the average fuel efficiency since the memory was last reset. Its value remains in the memory when the ignition is switched off, meaning the calculation continues each time the vehicle is used. It is useful for tracking fuel efficiency over long periods of time, over the course of a tank of fuel or for the duration of a specific journey.
  3. Average Speed:
    This function displays the average vehicle speed since the memory was last reset. Its value remains in the memory when the ignition is switched off, meaning the calculation continues each time the vehicle is used. It is useful for tracking average speed over long periods of time, over the course of a tank of fuel or for the duration of a specific journey.
  4. Driving Time:
    This functions shows the period of time that has elapsed since the memory was last reset. Its value remains in the memory when the ignition is switched off, meaning the time of subsequent journeys is simply added to the previous figure. To record the driving time from a particular point onwards, simply press and hold the reset button.
    After two hours of continuous driving, DIS will automatically display the driving time screen and flash, to remind the driver to take a break. This notification can be dismissed simply by pressing any of the DIS controls on the wiper stalk. If the ignition remains on or if the driver takes a break of less than 10 minutes, the driving time alert will be repeated after each further 2-hour period of driving. The driving time alert is reset if the driver takes a break of more than 10 minutes with the ignition switched off.
  5. Fuel Range:
    This function shows the distance the car can travel with the amount of fuel available in the tank given the rate of fuel consumption over the previous 20 miles. The range is displayed in multiples of 5 miles. The indicated range will change if driving style and thus fuel consumption is changed. It is useful for establishing whether a journey or series of journeys can be completed without having to stop for fuel.

Infotainment Features

3.jpg

1. Audio Information:
    This feature displays information from the factory audio system. Radio station name, tuning frequency, presets, CD changer disc, track number, etc are all displayed in the upper section of the DIS screen.
  2. Satellite Navigation Overview:
    If an Audi satellite navigation system is fitted, such as RNS-D or RNS-E, the core information is summarised in the DIS display. The next navigational move is clearly shown, allowing the driver simply to glance at the instrument cluster and keep their attention on the road ahead. Audio information and exterior temperature are compressed into the upper section of the DIS display when the navigation screen is selected.
  3. Telephone Information
    If an Audi Bluetooth telephone system is fitted, core information is shown in the DIS display. Bluetooth connection status, caller ID and contact lists can all be seen on the instrument cluster's screen (feature not shown in the graphic above).

Additional Features

4.jpg

1. Speed Warning:
    This function can be used to create a visual and audible alert if a set speed is exceeded. Two speeds can be set. Speed Warning 1 sounds when a set limit is reached, but goes off again if the speed is exceeded by 25mph for a period of 10 seconds. Speed Warning 2 sounds when a set limit is reached, but does not go off until the vehicle speed has fallen below the set limit. This allows a ‘soft’ limit of 30mph to be set for use in urban areas and a ‘hard’ limit of 70mph to be set for use on motorways, for instance.
  2. Door Open Indication:
    Unlike the standard instrument cluster that will indicate that a door is open, DIS goes a step further and will indicate which door is open. The graphic above shows that the front right door and the rear left door are both open. The tailgate will flash if the boot is open.
  3. Non-Urgent Warnings:
    Although faults that pose a danger are displayed in red and cover the entire DIS display, warnings not considered urgent are displayed in yellow in only the upper section of the DIS display. Examples of dangers include faults in the ABS system, coolant loss, overheating and loss of engine oil pressure. Warnings include low fuel, low oil level, low battery voltage, brake pads nearing their limit of wear, etc.
    This is an improvement over the standard instrument cluster in that common warnings do not overwrite other useful information. All core DIS functions can continue to be used despite the impending need to refuel, for instance.

Further Expansion

5.jpg

Although not included by default with my installations, the DIS cluster is capable of monitoring the washer bottle level and a selection of exterior bulbs if the appropriate additional hardware is fitted to the vehicle.

It is also possible to upgrade the screen to full colour, which opens up a huge range of additional features. For more details, please click this link.

My Service

As mentioned, I can supply and fit DIS to any UK-spec A2. All the instrument clusters that I supply are in good condition and have been thoroughly tested. The graphic below shows a cluster undergoing a test sequence to check all facets of operation. For peace of mind, my installations come with a 12-month, no-quibble, return-to-base warranty. I am also happy to fit customer-sourced parts, though always suggest that compatibility is verified prior to purchase.

6.jpg

Total cost is for this option supplied and fitted is dependent upon many factors. Please get in touch with me for an accurate quote for your car.

Many thanks,

Tom

Last edited:
Where are you located, Tom. Not for me, as I have DIS.

Do you install cruise control? I would be interested in that.

Where are you located, Tom. Not for me, as I have DIS.

Do you install cruise control? I would be interested in that.

Hi Freakyeke,

I'm based in Lancaster but am also able to provide a mobile service where mutually convenient. I frequently travel about the country with work.
Yes, I can retrofit cruise control. I offer all the optional extras that were available from factory apart from OpenSky and climate control.

Cheers,

Tom

Last edited:
I'm definitely interested on having cruise control fitted if you're ever near the Teesside area. Let me know.

Tom was kind enough to retrofit my DIS, I say kind enough because he'd never done one before - you'd never have guessed it though! 100% professional and I'd much rather have Tom work on my car than anyone else for this kind of thing; in fact he's been pivotal in keeping my A2 on the road from electrical gremlins.
Point is I'd recommend this mod, after a year it's one that I wouldn't be without and I can vouch for the work given that he's done it on my car.

Tom was kind enough to retrofit my DIS, I say kind enough because he'd never done one before - you'd never have guessed it though! 100% professional and I'd much rather have Tom work on my car than anyone else for this kind of thing; in fact he's been pivotal in keeping my A2 on the road from electrical gremlins.
Point is I'd recommend this mod, after a year it's one that I wouldn't be without and I can vouch for the work given that he's done it on my car.

Many thanks for the positive feedback. Yours was indeed my first ever DIS retrofit and I'm glad to read that you've found it to be an option you'd now not be without. I've since lost count of the number of DIS upgrades I've done. Hopefully everyone is as pleased as you are. :)

Cheers,

Tom

Last edited:
It is better than OEM. Tom has caried out a large number of retrofits to "the Project" and the quality of the install in every case was first class.

I had the pleasure of another visit from Tom a few weeks back and he retrofitted DIS to my wife's TDI 90. It funcions perfectly and acts and looks like OEM (I have an OEM install to compare it with too)

The other advantage with his work is that he is VERY thorough, but unlike some technicians, you don't pay extra for his attention to detail, it is just the way that he works.

As a moderator I have to be careful about recomendations, but with Tom, I find it difficult to stay quiet.
People will know that I often speak highly of Tom's work, it is difficult not to, based on the work he has done for me many times.

So I repeat that this is just a personal recomendation and not an official club recomendation. But I judge people by my own experiences of their work and not on hearsay.

Tom does not shout his abilities loudly, so it is great to see him at least making people aware of his services.

We as a club do not endorse services or encourage advertisiing, but if it is for the benefit of members then we have a duty to ensure tht such services are known. People can then make up their own mind.

Steve B

Last edited:
Hi Tom,

Mine has DIS but due to a fault with the internal memory ,as shown below, I can't change the clock,date or reset the odometer.
Is it possible to fit a second hand unit and reprogram the module? I have VAGCOM on my PC.

Address 17: Instruments Labels: 8Z0-920-xxx-17.lbl
Part No: 8Z0 920 980 Q
Component: KOMBI+WEGFAHRS. VDO D04
Coding: 08430
Shop #: WSC 19411
VCID: 4FAD95BE8D7D21665D9-5198
WAUZZZ8Z34N014100 AUZ7Z0C2490618

1 Fault Found:
65535 - Internal Control Module Memory Error
00-00 - -
I'll buy a good module from you, if that's easier.
please advise.

thank you,
Arun

Hi Arun, while Tom is busy I'm sure he wouldn't mind saying that I can repair ECU's Code them, if you need a replacement then I can program them to your car. This also applies to Clocks, if you buy a matching part number then I can program the replacement to your car. I can also do this via postal service, send me your old and new clocks and I can program them for you, doing it this way you will not need new keys programmed etc therefore saving you more money.

Sarge

That's great Sarge, I didn't realise you could do this too. May come in handy if I come across some TDI DIS clocks.

Hi Tom,

Mine has DIS but due to a fault with the internal memory ,as shown below, I can't change the clock,date or reset the odometer.
Is it possible to fit a second hand unit and reprogram the module? I have VAGCOM on my PC.

Address 17: Instruments Labels: 8Z0-920-xxx-17.lbl
Part No: 8Z0 920 980 Q
Component: KOMBI+WEGFAHRS. VDO D04
Coding: 08430
Shop #: WSC 19411
VCID: 4FAD95BE8D7D21665D9-5198
WAUZZZ8Z34N014100 AUZ7Z0C2490618

1 Fault Found:
65535 - Internal Control Module Memory Error
00-00 - -
I'll buy a good module from you, if that's easier.
please advise.

thank you,
Arun

Hi Arun,

I've replied to your PM with some possible solutions to your car's issues.

Cheers,

Tom

Hi Tom,

Really good to read your DIS post.

I have just had my 2004 1.6 FSI returned by my mother-in-law as see is no longer able to drive due to old age. It has only covered 40k from new and I'm now keen to keep it and embellish it with some additional options.

I'd love to book you for the DIS retro fit. I'd also interested in the rear electric window conversion (currently manual). Also, do you undertake sat nav installations? Regret not having the factory fitted option at time of purchase - current the single din concert unit.

I'm located in SE London. Look forward to your response.

Kind regards
Andrew

Hi Arun,

I've replied to your PM with some possible solutions to your car's issues.

Cheers,

Tom

Hi Tom,

I'm sure your inbox is full of PMs. With regards to the instruments, can I expect them back before Christmas?
I was planning to do some works on my other car once this is back up and running.

Cheers,
Arun

If you by any chance can in the future do this for my TDI90 I am VERY INTERESTED!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Arun, I couldn't say to be honest without it being looked at, could well be your DMF but I am unable to carry out this kind of work these days. Again I put the info up here for everyone but I can't physically carry out work like this these days, very sorry.

Sarge

Hi Sarge,

Thanks very much for the quick reply and sorry to hear about your health. Hope you get well soon. I'll try and meet up sometime as I frequent Barking/Hornchruch frequently.

cheers,
Arun

Maso I assume your post is directed at Tom?

Sarge

Hello,

Wasnt it Timmus who does the installment?

It was meant to the person who offers this wonderful service but at this loment only to UK cars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you by any chance can in the future do this for my TDI90 I am VERY INTERESTED!

Maso I assume your post is directed at Tom?

Wasnt it Timmus who does the installment?
It was meant to the person who offers this wonderful service but at this moment only to UK cars.

Yes, it's me who offers the DIS retrofitting service. Some confusion has occurred due to discussions about DMFs in this thread. Perhaps a moderator can move/delete those posts so as to keep this thread on topic?

Hi Maso,

I am currently able to fit a DIS cluster to your left-hand-drive TDI90. The only reason I state that this service is for UK cars only is because I cannot yet supply non-UK clusters. However, if a suitable cluster for your A2 can be found, I can definitely do all the necessary stages of the installation.

Cheers,

Tom

Back