Newbie with an Audi A2 1.6 fsi that intermittently cuts out

Stwannabe

Good evening, I am very new to Audi A2 ownership and have headed straight to this forum for advice. I've just jumped at the opportunity to acquire a neighbours A2 which is a 1 owner car. The car has had very little use in the last 12 months due to an intermittent cutting-out issue. My neighbour has lost faith in the car and I naively thought this was something I could sort. The car is a clean 1.6 fsi with 108000 miles on the clock. During the last 3 years the car has had very little use and when presented for MOT this week, it sailed straight through.

My neighbour lost faith when Lancaster Audi could not diagnose the intermittent cutting out. The car would always restart but not until left to rest for sometimes up to an hour. I have bought the car cheap and would love to keep and use the car. My currenti car is a Suzuki Swift and like for like the Audi drives and feels so much better. My immediate concerns are that I may not successfully diagnose the fault and an intermittent fault would ruin the ownership experience.

With the knowledge to hand on this forum, is there anyone willing to put money on exactly what this issue maybe. I've read that fuel pressure may be the issue. I've not driven the car any distance yet and so far so good, the car has not failed. However I am constantly aware the car could let me down any time.

Would love to hear your thoughts and remedies, as I would love to continue to own and drive this fabulous little car. When sorted are these generally a good reliable engine. My Swift has been fab but it doesn't roll like the Audi.

Many Thanks, Sean

Hello Sean,

Welcome to the A2OC and to A2 ownership.

Your first course of action should be to fill the car up with a premium fuel such as BP Ultimate or Shell V-Power.
The FSI engine needs a high octane fuel to run correctly.

The next course of action would be a scan - clear all existing fault codes and take it for a drive and see what occurs.
If / when it cuts out, another scan should be taken. This should give a reasonable indication of what has occured to cause the engine to cut out, and you can then look at troubleshooting the issues.

The 1.6 FSI is the most complex engine in the A2 family, and as such it can be a little more troublesome than the 1.4 variants, but a scan would be the starting point.
VCDS is recommended the tool used to scan and re-code VAG vehicles and it usually connects to a PC/laptop via a USB interface.

You are not a million miles away from WOM Automotive in Stoke-On-Trent - http://womautomotive.co.uk/
If you have a chat with Rob I'm sure he'll be able to offer some advice and a scan to start you off.

Cheers
Jeff

Thank you for the reply Jeff. I'm going to give it a good clean and polish the weekend and a good run as well (on higher octane juice). First impressions are fantastic, I knew nothing about the A2's and discovering they weigh less than 1000 kgs and are aluminium construction was quite a surprise. It feels nimbler, better built and more eager/sprightly than my Swift, so I am praying the ownership experience will be just as encouraging.Will take some pics the weekend once I have given it a thorough valet.

I put Tesco Momentum 99 in mine and it definitely runs better than on a 95 octane fuel. I also had a torrid drive in the Lake District recently that saw me in 3rd gear at high revs for the best part of an hour but only covering 20 miles - however it did do the engine the World of good! Petrol engines should be revved so it may benefit from a good blast.
Hope that it's easily diagnosed and fixed, the FSi was the only engine for me and I'm still thrilled with it.

Hi,

One more car, I have the same symptom on my A2.
What I changed :
Sparks plugs,
coils,
Replacing EGR with blank plate
WD40 on many electrical contactor

I have make a diagnostic trough Vag-COM and I get :

17428 - Fuel Pressure Regulation Control Range Exceeded
P1020 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent

17987 - Throttle Actuator (J338): Adaptation Not Started
P1579 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent

Engine idle is very unstable and sometimes brakes pedal are very hard; I know that servo brake is directly connected to the intake system; Fuel consumption is relatively high (390km 75% city / 25% freeWay)

A link is it possible between theses elements ?

Last edited:
WOM in Uttoxeter are experts with the FSi, they've helped with mine.
Regards the idling issue, try recalibrating your throttle: disconnect battery for 10 minutes (resets engine management if I remember correctly but... you may need the radio code afterwards so, you've been warned!), leave key in ignition with ignition on for 10 minutes. I left mine for 20, just to be sure :eek: . Start the car and brace for lumpiness, but it's helped mine and it also drives much smoother. Win win.

Hi Sean,

Echoing the words of the others above; welcome to A2 ownership. I'm glad to see another one in the Shire!

I am just the other side of Uttoxeter from you and will happily perform a scan and advise as best as I can. We've (WOM) experience of working on & diagnosing numerous other FSI's with similar symptoms. Just drop me a PM if you would like to discuss further.

Cheers
Rob (WOM).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Engine idle is very unstable and sometimes brakes pedal are very hard

The FSI has a vacuum box inside the inlet manifold which it uses to maintain a vacuum when the the engine is running (all to do with the FSI bit) with a very low vacuum., it's very simple with some little hoses to the left of the inlet manifold around the intake flap air solenoid. It sounds like this little non-return valve has failed or the hoses have degraded, giving you a hard brake pedal. Of course, it could also be the brake servo itself, but I like to start with the simple stuff first!

You should be able to find posts on here about what happened with my Engine repeatedly cutting out, and how I fixed it myself with the help and advice of other members. It went on for many months in 2016

RAC could not diagnose it. Independant VAG Garage could not diagnose it. The Cutting Out was caused by a Faulty Non Genuine VAG Ignition Coil which the RAC had fitted on a Breakdown Call Out. I changed it for a new Genuine VAG Coil. It stopped cutting out. Has never Cut Out again since.

Back