Information Got the usual scratched windscreen from the wiper blade?

Birchall

Dick Chown Award 2016
Hi,

I had some of the usual screen scratches from a worn wiper blade on my grandson's A2.

So I thought I might be a guinea pig for one of the scratch repair kits on the market.

So I bought one of these kits at £16.95 http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161980693094?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

It is a pretty basic kit but it is also quite simple to use, no mixing no sanding.
You just fit one of the drill "mops" to your electric drill, soak the mop in the pre-mixed solution and polish the scratches away.

To be honest I really wasn't expecting it to work, but I thought it would be worth a try and if it did work it might be an option that others can use.

The kit arrived. It contains two cloths, two "mops", a wax crayon (to mark where the scratch is) and the paste solution
Glass 1.jpgglass 2.jpg

This was the before picture, not deep scratches but annoying and mentioned by the MOT tester, but OK because they are not in the main line of sight.
The main area was towards the top right of the picture highlighted

Glass 3.jpg

The area is marked with a crayon on the inside so that when working on the outside you can see the area to be polished.
I would recommend drawing the area MUCH closer to the scratches, you need to know exactly where to polish precisely.

glass 4.jpg

This is the result I achieved after 10 to 15 minutes, I had to stop at this point (shopping was beckoning /bellowing!)

glass 5.jpg

The lower scratch has almost disappeared and the upper scratch has been reduced in size to just the area highlighted and it is much less scratched.

I reckon another 20 minutes and it would be perfect.

So quite a surprise really and well worth a try as long as your scratches are not VERY deep.

Steve B

Last edited:
You do see many cleaning and restoring products on the market and its really handy to know which ones actually work - thanks for the tip Steve. :)

Just one word of caution.

Reoairing scratches is achieved by grinding away the surrounding glass until it is smooth again.
This can result is optical aberrations and sometimes these can be as distracting as the scratches.
This is especially true for long thin scratches, like the lower one in the pictures above.
The scratch has gone but it has affected the glass and now it acts like a "fun house" effect

So this fix is definitely better on shallow scratches only.

Steve B

So you,ve barely "scratched the surface" then Steve. Actually that last photo should have a caption added saying "this is where the roof tiles are loose !".

Ta
Dave
:)

Last edited:
Just one word of caution.

Reoairing scratches is achieved by grinding away the surrounding glass until it is smooth again.
This can result is optical aberrations and sometimes these can be as distracting as the scratches.
This is especially true for long thin scratches, like the lower one in the pictures above.
The scratch has gone but it has affected the glass and now it acts like a "fun house" effect

So this fix is definitely better on shallow scratches only.

Steve B

Steve just a little heads up for you..

Basically your sanding the glass down with the compound and mop , glass is a flat surface so while removing scratches it is very easy to create a troff if your just concentrating on the scratch.

Guys in the glass trade use a huge buffing wheel , about 4" in dia and 2" wide and work over alot larger area than the scratch say about 3" either side of the scratch to feather it out as such so you dont end up with a low point where the scratch was.

Hope this helps

-Gary

Ive used one of these bad boys before on site and very heavy duty but low rpms, it does take a while to feather the scratch out even with the trade tools .

glass buffer.PNG

Last edited:
Back