Vacuum Actuator & Potentiometer part number & Costs anyone??

Birdfish

Vacuum Actuator & Potentiometer part number & Costs plus any other associated parts that should be changed?

Hi Guy's,

got a broken Vacuum Actuator Valve (Rod) and wondered if anyone had the part number and rough cost of it?
I've read on here that it's prudent to replace the Potentiometer at the same time? Anything else here? If so what does that cost and what's the part number?

I have the usual warning on computer diagnostics but, unlike others on here I don't have an engine management light on?

Any tips or tricks when changing these parts?

Thank you.

Doug

Car: Audi A2 1.6Fsi Colourstorm Red

Hi Guy's,

I'm getting very frustrated trying to find out information on the following, I've got the part numbers from Steve but, problem is no one can tell me how this is set up or give good photos of everything.

With reference to the photo and diagram: Does the ARM part shown in the diagram next to the Potentiometer I have drawn in RED come separately or is that part of the actual inlet manifold lower part attached to the inner Butterfly flap rod?

This small plastic arm shown in RED is the part that's broken on my car also the vacuum arm too. Every Potentiometer for sale on the net just shows the that item without the arm, does the arm have a part number? Or do I have to buy the Whole lower inlet manifold itself?

I wen't to my local Audi dealer today with photos and diagrams and they were as confused as I was regarding this part, as were Several other Audi dealers throughout the UK I contacted by phone too.

ANY HELP!!!

POT 2.jpgPOT DIA.jpg

Hi,

I think the potentiometer just couples to the end of the shaft holding the flaps so it just measures its movement directly.

The the arm on the flap shaft is part of the that assembly and not sold separately. That broke on a friend's FSI and Audi would only supply the whole mainifold assembly as a single unit. The really annoying thing in that case was that the manifold was completely clean as it had been replaced by a previous owner, badly.

regards

Andrew

Hi,

I think the potentiometer just couples to the end of the shaft holding the flaps so it just measures its movement directly.

The the arm on the flap shaft is part of the that assembly and not sold separately. That broke on a friend's FSI and Audi would only supply the whole mainifold assembly as a single unit. The really annoying thing in that case was that the manifold was completely clean as it had been replaced by a previous owner, badly.

regards

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

yes you are right and thanks for posting that, after a long search and trawl through the net I've finally come up with the photo of the Butterfly lower inlet manifold cheap plastic end (See attached photo).

What a pig of a job this is going to be, just cant believe the stupid - thoughtlessness of design Audi have done here, quite honest I'm sick of all the problems I've had over the past year, £2600 of work done to my car and feel fed up with it now, especially this. And it would have cost a lot more had I not been capable myself.

One stinking bit of plastic and the whole manifold has to be changed, stupid, just stupid and very awkward!

Regarding the Potentiometer, while on my trawl I found this (see attached Document image) It would seem that the potentiometer is used in 8 VAG models? Yet Audi say it's only for the A2, strange eh?!

Hope this post helps others in understanding this issue, I'll keep you updated.

Cheers

Doug

POT 2.jpgPOT ARM.pngDICX1.jpg

Hi Doug is that the part that is broken on yours? as that is very unusual as the rod on the vac unit is the week link. cheers mike

Regarding the Potentiometer, while on my trawl I found this (see attached Document image) It would seem that the potentiometer is used in 8 VAG models? Yet Audi say it's only for the A2, strange eh?!

Doug,

The Audi dealer is technically correct as the other cars that use the same potentiometer are from the VW stable.

Use this site to find out the details:http://vagpart.com/parts/vw-036907385c/

Select 'Europe', then drill down through the three models to find out the details. Being VW parts you may find them slightly cheaper than those from an Audi dealer.

Steve

Hi Doug is that the part that is broken on yours? as that is very unusual as the rod on the vac unit is the week link. cheers mike

Hi Mike,

both parts are broken, the Pear shaped plastic end was cracked and came off when we were removing the broken part of the vacuum, it seems brittle too.

I can repair and modify the vacuum arm no problem and can even make it stronger but, since the other part has broken it may well be impossible to glue that part on where it sits.

Cheers

Doug

Last edited:
As a matter of interest; can anyone point me in the direction of an old faulty "Lower Inlet Manifold?" in any condition as I would like to explore this item more.

To let you all know, it would appear that this has been not working for some time now, maybe 6 months or more, due to a diagnostic check recently while trying to sort out the volume on the radio the usual "set point not reached" warning came up for the inlet manifold, that's when I looked further into it.

Now, if I've been running around with this not working and the engine management light was not lit is there any damage being caused?
I do notice a drop in fuel economy and down on performance a little otherwise the car runs fine.

When I got to the Potentiometer and realised I could not fix it I left it at it's maximum point meaning the Butterfly flaps in the manifold are constantly open with still no management light on.

I do notice a great rasp sound from the engine when I did accelerate hard, although I'm pussyfooting it around at the minute.

Any help with an old Inlet Manifold would be great!

Thank you.

Doug

Just spoke to a mechanic at an Audi dealership and showed him all the info I have on the broken part, he was shocked and could not believe when he saw the part required and where it was situated, he said it was a terrible waste of money, materials and labour for such a small 20p item, plus Audi should have had issued a repair kit for such a thing but, they don't!

Back