Gearbox. 3rd gear.

Slowly getting the a2 back on road.
But now have an issue with 3rd gear.
Been advised the syncomesh has gone.
It's been very hard to track one down even a recon gear box.
Suppliers are constantly getting mixed up with the box been the same as the VW polo.
Any advice gents to where I could go ?
I live in the CH5 area.
Cheers.

If my synchro ever went on my TDI gearbox then I would just change it for a JDD gearbox. Much longer ratio better suited to motorway driving with the TDI. Quite readily available and it doesn't sound like there's a lot of work to make it fit.

How much for JDD box. ??

However much you can get it for from a reliable breaker's. Say a few 100.

Fitting costs ?

Probably about the same as doing a clutch I would imagine?

Consider also the Passat MYP 6-speed box - it'd cost the same, and you'd end up with an extra gear.

I Have a TDI 90 gearbox in my garage, if you are interested contact me.
I got it from a breakers but never used it.
Richard

Just a general comment about the common problem of the synchro crunch on 3rd gear.

It has happened on a few TDIs I have had.

On one I bought a recon gearbox and that was a nightmare, they sent the wrong one first, then they sent another that worked fine intil I sold the car. The new owner travelled down from Liverpool to our house to collect the car (250 miles)
On the way home 5th gear disappeared, lost all of its teeth (A bit like me!)

The box and fitting cost £800.
I had to compensate the new owner (believe me the company I used were not going to honour any so called warranty and with the car now in Liverpool getting it to them would be a huge cost.

Yes, I was unlucky, but the next TDI that I had with the synchro crunch I went for the no-cost option.

This involves a simple process of me changing gear slower and more carefully!!!

To be honest, it would only crunch when I rushed it anyway.

So now I have a car that doesn't crunch and it will last for years like that.

So my own advice is that if you have the synchro crunch problem, persevere with it and just take more time on that gear change and you wil be fine.

Steve B

i had the 3rd gear crunch and changed the box to a jdd on a 75 tdi. to fit one on a 90tdi involves grinding inside the casing to allow the extra room the dmf needs, so not as easy as a 75 to do

Back