1.6 fsi fault codes P0139 & P1176

tch

Hi I am new to this forum, hoping for some advice from those that have experienced similar problems with their FSI A2.

Story behind problem is as follows: my wife's 2004 A2 1.6FSI, has been parked up for around 16 months & when it was taken for its MOT, before being put back on road, it failed its emissions test-never had this problem before. I then changed the front Lambda sensor (due to fault code P2202 coming up & garage suggesting front sensor was most likely cause) & the car just passed the emissions test/MOT with the CO being right on the 0.20% limit-other readings okay but HC were high at 108 ppm) . Now around 40 miles later the orange engine warning light has come on & the car is coming up with an active fault code P0139 (O2 sensor circuit slow response bank 1 sensor2) & a pending fault code P1176 (lambda sensor after catalyst control limit reached. We have had this car since it was a year old & it only has 12,400 miles on the clock & has never had any emissions/engine light problems before it was parked up.

The car had a new temperature sensor in the past(but that fault only caused temperature gauge not to work) but no other issues up to now. As its done so few miles I have doubts about the rear oxygen sensor failing & do wonder if the fuel injectors have got a bit blocked, or are leaking a bit, after being stood a long while. The car was started every few weeks during its time of the road & on the road it drives well with no obvious loss of power or misfiring ect.

I would appreciate any suggestions or solutions that cured other cars with same issue/fault codes.

Hi wow that is low mileage ---now to the issues. I would say get the car on some equipment such as vag com and take some live readings of both exhaust sensors as i suspect they have failed. As the car has just been started and not driven there is a high chance the sensors are sooted up or corroded due to condensation. I feel the 1176 code could be a red herring due to incorrect fuelling from sensors.
Ideally you need someone that can interpret the live readings. cheers mike

Hi Mike, thanks for the reply. Yes the mileage is very low, wife has done less than a 1,000 miles annually, & we hope to keep this car for many years. I have a limited version of VAG Com, with a cheap KKL VAG Com connector, but software is unregistered trial version so no live data. I have other software that gives live data but am waiting for an ELM 327 connector as the KKL one does not connect to other software. Regarding sensors on car, as far as I can tell there is only a pre Cat lambda sensor on the A2 FSI, with just an exhaust gas temperature sensor after the cat; but I may be wrong as I have not looked further along the exhaust. But there is definitely no more sensors just past the Cat itself other than the temp sensor. I have already fitted a new pre cat sensor less than 50 miles ago to get the car through its MOT. Will have to dig deeper once I can see more info with some live data. Have cleared fault codes for now. Thanks again.

Was it a genuine sensor you used? the second sensor is a "nox" sensor i believe. Good luck mike

Was a 'Fuel Parts' LB1838 sensor, but when I got it I found the sensor head is made by Bosch. Original Audi sensor removed was made by Bosch but had an older part number. I have just had a look on ElsaWin information system & you are spot on - there does appear to be a NOx sender in the exhaust under the front passenger floor pan. Cant find a part number listed online for it so far though. Cheers.

Here is a thread I did on the post cat Nox sensor replacement:

http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthrea...ment-instructions-1-6FSI&highlight=nox+sensor

I have done this 3 times now (once on each car due to failure, and once due to swapping exhaust over due to failed cat.

If it is this sensor you need it is fairly easy to change for a moderately competent home mechanic.

The only other exhaust sensors on the FSI are pre cat and are located on the outlet manifold in the region of the oil sump.

Last edited:
Back