Front speakers not working

Stuebydoo

A2OC Donor
Hi guys,

My front speakers have stopped working. The rears are fine, and when I use the fader I still can't get sound out of the fronts.

The radio did come out on the weekend, but everything seems to be plugged in (I had a look).

I didn't notice for the past few days, my friend noticed, it could have been weeks before I picked up on it.

It's a Concert II, in a 2003 FSI without Bose

Any thoughts?

Hi guys,

My front speakers have stopped working. The rears are fine, and when I use the fader I still can't get sound out of the fronts.

The radio did come out on the weekend, but everything seems to be plugged in (I had a look).

I didn't notice for the past few days, my friend noticed, it could have been weeks before I picked up on it.

It's a Concert II, in a 2003 FSI without Bose

Any thoughts?

Hi,

if you have BOSE then all speakers are driven by the external AMP. All 4 speaker feeds from the head unit are on the same connector (the large black connector) so its unlikely that two have stopped working, especially in that pairing.

Perhaps the head unit encoding has ended up getting changed? I suggest you confirm the settings with VAG COM and reseat the connector just for good measure.

regards

Andrew

Hi Stuart,

Given that your A2 does not have Bose, the front speakers are driven directly by the head unit and the rear speakers are driven by a small amp in the compartment beneath the driver's feet.
When you removed the stereo recently in order to get the serial number for me, it's possible that the connector for the speakers has come loose. The speaker connector is the brown one. Slide the head unit back out and check that it's seated correctly.

Cheers,

Tom

Hi Stuart,

Given that your A2 does not have Bose, the front speakers are driven directly by the head unit and the rear speakers are driven by a small amp in the compartment beneath the driver's feet.
When you removed the stereo recently in order to get the serial number for me, it's possible that the connector for the speakers has come loose. The speaker connector is the brown one. Slide the head unit back out and check that it's seated correctly.

Cheers,

Tom

Oops. Thanks Tom for correcting. I missed out the "without" bit regarding BOSE.

regards

Andrew

Its pretty easy to take the door cards (?) off. Then you get to the speakers. Check that the connections are good and not shorting against anything. If you have a multimeter, you can set it to AC voltage and check if you have anything, both at the back of the head unit and at the speaker connectors in the door.

These are standard ISO connectors on the concert headunits? I could always stick a spare aftermarket headunit in to check the speaker operation. They were definitely working in the past, but it was only noticed yesterday that it sounded a bit rear biased, then playing about with the fader shows that no sound is coming from the fronts. This car is trying my patience lately...

Update:

I have swapped headunits over with another Concert II, and still no sound from the front speakers.

Are there any fuses for the fronts? I'd be surprised if all 4 speakers have blown at the same time, so I'm now thinking a fuse if there is one, or a break in the cable somewhere?

The only thing between the speakers and the stereo connector is a 20-pin connector, black, at the left and the right A pillar

They have definitely worked during my ownership of the A2. It seems strange that they've gone. Maybe I have blown all the fronts?

You can test the speaker by taking a 9 volt battery and touch it to the correct pins at the stereo connector when it's disconnected from the stereo, it should come scratching noises from the speakers.

I put a multimeter to the brown speaker plug and registered a resistance, so the speakers are ok?

It seems strange that two Concert headunits both have the same issue. I might try a non Audi one if I can find a spare laying around and see if that works the fronts.

Theres no way that my car has changed itself to thinking it has bose is there? This is the only thing I can think of, that it is not sending any output down the standard iso speaker outputs, and instead thinks that I have a bose setup, and it is sending it via the active outputs, which is why the rears work since they have their own amp?

Last edited:
Back