Coolant loss

mab

I bought a Black 2003 1.6 FSI a couple of months ago and love it. Since getting it I've had to top the coolant up a couple of times and this evening the smell of coolant was pretty strong so thought it was time to investigate. Searched the forum and found this thread:
http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread.php?19029-1-6-fsi-coolant-loss-resolved/page2

so that seemed like a good place to start poking around. Lo and behold there is leak in that area, but unlike the other thread, it doesn't look like a problem with the coolant temperature sensor but looks to be a corroded connector for one of the coolant pipes - see pics below:

DSCF9456.jpgDSCF9455.jpg

Anyone any idea what the corroded part is and how easy it is to replace?

Thanks

mab

It is very difficult to see the problem part, hopefully someone will post a parts explosion diagram of that area, that will help pinpoint the part.

Steve B

Thanks for fast response

Yeah - it is hard to get a pic that shows it well.

There is a parts explosion diagram from the other thread that is helpful - I think the problem part sits just below the items marked 8 & 18. Difficult to tell though.

121750.png

Looks like part where coolant pipe connects to the thermostat housing ? a break to the rigid part of the thermostat housing.
see pic below

20459_1.jpg

pipe concerned attaches to piece pointing in 1o'clock direction on Right side of image

regards,

Pete

Thanks Pete - that's the one. Now I know what to search for it seems that there are a few other posts about the same problem so enough info to get me going.

Back