Leather seats.

simufly

A2OC Donor
United-Kingdom
As there have been several sets of leather seats being offered recently i wonder (hope) if a sense of calm could be on the way. Looking at the price of other Audi leather interiors being offered i have always been surprised at the high premium that A2 seats seem to command. This is no doubt the commercial sellers (our friends in Cambridge and the black country for example) have done everything they can to hype these "so rare; ultra rare, etc" sets to maximise their profit, which of course makes excellent business sense, to them.
The youngest A2 is now at least 11 years old and the numbers declining by RTA and terminal engine/gearbox failure.
The number of people wanting a leather interior is probably declining, most who want one probably already have one, no doubt there are a few (me included) who are thirsting for a particular spec. But would I pay £800 or so. A resounding NO from me.

As in all things the market will decide, a thing is worth what someone will pay for it.

I am reasonably confident that the commercial sellers have had few,if any, sales at the prices they have posted recently. Of course a mint low mileage heated sports set will always command a premium, but as stated they will be at least 11years old. I do hope a sense of calm is returning so people can upgrade their cars to the choice of spec for a reasonable outlay to continue their enjoyment of the addictive A2

In October I sold on a set of dark grey SE leather for £350 that I had bought and was told at the time by many that these were a bargain.

I have priced my set of platinum leather at £400 or offers I.e the same price. I'd always thought that platinum leather was more desirable than the dark grey.

When pricing them I looked on eBay for the price of leather interiors for other Audi models as well and ones for the A4 were advertised by private sellers for around £350.

I would like to know what others feel a full leather interior is worth so I can price mine right, although if I was looking for a leather interior I would be happy to pay £350.

There does seem to be a shift in demand for certain parts lately simufly. Perhaps it's the summer months and people have other priorities with their money or perhaps indeed demand is dwindling.

Perhaps the days where we all get a BOSE setup for £50 is just around the corner :)

Looking forward to seeing others comments.

Last edited:
I think A2 leather seats will always trade for more money than other Audi models ( excepting RS and newer versions) because by their very numbers they're harder to come by.

Figures for SE in need of some work do appear settled around the 300 mark and a rare set of Sports seats with heating and in good condition with solid bolsters and cargo nets can fetch double that figure.

I've not seen or heard tell of any trading near the 4 figure mark as they used to do a few years ago. So I'd agree that things have settled as Simon suggests may be the case, however on a like for like basis with a same year A4 - the A2 will be more expensive.

I'd like to change my seats, not because of the leather-luxury feeling, but because every drop of water/rain leaves an ugly spot on the covers...
Audi Tradition sells stripped leather seat covers, many of them in mint condition and with the seat heating, but to complete the whole set would cost 2000-2500 Euro. And with no headrests.
If I could get a set for £500, I wouldn't think twice.

As an aside but related to A2 parts prices; i've noticed that Blu*chip have started selling a lot of parts at realistic prices lately i.e a cup holder for £9.81 and do not seem to be selling many big parts anymore i.e do not seem to have any new A2's in to break. Perhaps they have finally given up destroying A2's and moved on to other models?

I would like to know what others feel a full leather interior is worth so I can price mine right,

I have this recent experience : I purchased a complete blue-leather interior from a breakers for £450 (Seats, door panels with blue arm-rests, gear knob/gaiter, steering-wheel) I sold, some time ago, a set of grey-leather seats only for £400, but I knocked £50 off because an airbag needed replacing. I think that the complete interior is always going to be worth £500 (well, it would be to me!) I think that seats alone should never be lower than £400. I think that you've got it right with yours. Just be patient. You're only problem is that you don't have much storage space? I've got plenty, but I've also got a pain in my neck and sore ears!

David

Thanks David. Yes, you have first hand experience of my limited storage space :) but then again, if I had more storage I would just fill that with another A2 anyway. Luckily for me the garage is my domain and my wife doesn't get involved.

Reactions: chb
Interesting thread.

I picked up a set of SE grey leather seats (bench version) the other week from an Ebay seller for £180 delivered. WOM will fit them and Rob said they're in fairly good condition. Not sports, no lumbar etc, but better than cloth.

Whilst I appreciate the leathers can be rare, and therefore drive the price up, my other half has limited my A2 spending somewhat. So when I saw these, I bought them immediately because I knew what the answer would be if they were £300+!!

Once fitted, they'll be way easier to clean up after the kids than the cloth I have in now!! Although, I have managed to protect the current set with child seat covers so far.

I am pleased that my post has created some discussion. It is always good to gets other's point of view.
A bit of back research has shown that amulet red sports seem to command the highest prices, platinum the next dark grey next. There have been too few other colours draw a sensible conclusion. Bench rears seem to be problematic, but there have been occassions when buyer and seller clicked which is great for both parties.

Does anybody know why the traders have such odd pricings, £869.99, 789.99 etc. Why not a nice round number? Perhaps my OCD is showing a bit here!

I am not convinced that the coloured arm rests, gaiter and wheel are to my particular taste. I prefer base colour for these parts.

So, gentle plug, there must be someone out there with a set of sport twist (beige to you and me) that you are willing to sell on!!! This will allow me to pass on the platinum sport leather/alcantara set I have now got fitted!

Last edited:
Yes interesting discussion. For clarity I was not making any reference to items currently on sale when I posed a bandwidth of 300 to 600 for leather seats ( not including other interior items ) - this is merely my empirical view based on recent sales. 180 is a bargain - Well done that buyer ! I'd really not expect to see an A2 interior for less than 300 unless it was in poor condition and I'd concur with other comments that the pitch made by Steve for his leather seats is entirely fair.

Last edited:
I would say £300-400 is fair. But like someone said earlier, and my dad also, something is only worth what someone will pay for it at the time.

I got lucky with mine. In fact they cost £150, postage was £30 from South Wales to Stoke. Time will tell if they're worth it. Definitely below market value.

Also, I would have thought as an optional extra when new they would have cost quite a lot of money. And although they're over a decade old, the leather seats I've seen seem to really lift the feel and look of the interior.

Yes interesting discussion. For clarity I was not making any reference to items currently on sale when I posed a bandwidth of 300 to 600 for leather seats ( not including other interior items ) - this is merely my empirical view based on recent sales. 180 is a bargain - Well done that buyer ! I'd really not expect to see an A2 interior for less than 300 unless it was in poor condition and I'd concur with other comments that the pitch made by Steve for his leather seats is entirely fair.

I paid over £700 for my black sports/lumbar/bench seats two years ago. I don't regret paying what I did. Well done to those that now pay less.

James

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

All this talk of leather and astronomical prices!
I am probably one of the only forum members who actually prefers cloth interior, I have had leather in other cars I have owned and find leather overrated, yes it looks nice but I find it cold and hard in Winter and hot sticky and uncomfortable in the summer weather, I like the cool airiness of cloth especially on really hot days, also leather cracks over time and I have seen a few seats over the years that make interiors look really dated because of the ageing and cracking of the leather..

I rode motorcycles for years so know the importance of good quality hide and the protection it offers for all in ones and boots, but this fascination with having leather seats does nothing for me..Just my two penneth

My desire for leather stemmed from wanting to keep my A2 forever. Leather can always be recolonised quite cheaply back to new, whereas once cloth seats have worn through you'll never get a perfect match on a repair.

You could go for the best of both worlds and have leather and alcantara as I have, warm in the winter but still leather.

Last edited:
There is plenty of over pricing of A2 parts on ebay. An example was a door pillar fuel cap switch for almost double the price of a new one from Audi main dealer!

Good sports seats in leather with lumbar adjustment I'd say £275 to £450 in good nick. Add in new heated elements, loom and proper A2 switches you are still looking at almost £1k with labour to fit fully electric seats in an A2.

Some folk still want too much for 10-15 year old parts for a car that has sadly dropped in value (apart from 1.2 TDIs) hugely these past 12 months. Whole salvage A2s can be had for less money than a set of seats.

There is plenty of over pricing of A2 parts on ebay. An example was a door pillar fuel cap switch for almost double the price of a new one from Audi main dealer!

Good sports seats in leather with lumbar adjustment I'd say £275 to £450 in good nick. Add in new heated elements, loom and proper A2 switches you are still looking at almost £1k with labour to fit fully electric seats in an A2.

Some folk still want too much for 10-15 year old parts for a car that has sadly dropped in value (apart from 1.2 TDIs) hugely these past 12 months. Whole salvage A2s can be had for less money than a set of seats.

I think it's a little hopeful that you will find a set of leather sports seats for £275 in good condition.

I paid a LOT more for the car I am breaking than the cost of a leather interior. It would be great if you could buy a car with leather for the price of a leather interior but that's sadly not the case.

Last edited:
Back