Mot

johnyfartbox

A2OC Donor
United-Kingdom
Well, thats another MOT done..........................But here is a strange incident, the guy doing the test has been doing MOTs for years and years, I've never used him before but had to because I needed a quick MOT, I wont tell you why.
So he gets in the car and drives it on the lift and does the usual seat belt checks and such, Then he pops the bonnet...........walks to the front and scratches his head..........total blank look on his face.............he shouts me over, (I was sat in the viewing room)....."yer bonnet catch is broke mate" he shouts, "no its not" I says......"yeh it is".. he shouts, "yer bonnets not popped up"......."it wont" I says, "you have to pull that plastic panel forward and then turn those two catches"..................."bloody hell" he says, "you do it".................to cut a long story short so as not to send you to sleep, he and the other two guys had never MOTeed an A2 before. When I took the bonnet off they were totally shocked and made great fun of the fact that I was stood there with a very important and expensive piece of body work in my arms looking for all the world like I was going to play a tune on it like a guitar.

And that wasnt the end of it, the car passed with no advisories at all but he did notice that the off side headlight was facing downwards and on closer inspection , the bulb had dropped slightly. That was my fault because I had replaced the bulb only two weeks ago and not located it properly so he was fiddling about trying to correct it and was getting nowhere so I said "have you got a size 12 torx bit, (I think its a 12) he said yes, and within a couple of mins, removed the whole headlight unit....................again, he was gobsmaked, and sorted the bulb out.

So, after a funny and memorable MOT episode he was totally in awe of the car.

I always take the bonnet off and on for them to avoid them scratching it and make sure they use the correct jacking points to avoid damage to the sill.....they must dread me coming, I think that's half the reason it's never failed, they don't want me back twice :)

The Swedish MOT won't even lift the bonnet on an A2. It's not required due to the construction of the car. But on other cars, the do lift the bonnet.

Well, they lifted mine last February (I was asked to do it for them) but it was the first time and I have had the car since 2006.

Well, they lifted mine last February (I was asked to do it for them) but it was the first time and I have had the car since 2006.
The manager of the place I MOTd my car, told the inspection guy to not lift the bonnet on my car. Then he asked him if he knew where to find the VIN number. As said before, the A2 is a quirky car.

Back