VW XL1 Brake Service

G

Guest 4123

Anyone like to hazard a guess as to the cost of the replacement of the front (or rear) brake discs and pads on an XL1, including labour? You can get this cost from any VW dealer. Answer given on Monday.

RAB

Here's a photo of when my A2 made friends with an XL1. :)

A2 - XL1.jpg

RAB, I don't know the answer to your question and I feel it'd be cheating to phone VW. So, here's my guess: £2250.49

Cheers,

Tom

Hi Tom,

You're the nearest so far! You might be in for a surprise though.

RAB

Hi Tom,

You're the nearest so far! You might be in for a surprise though.

RAB

I suspect there's lot of carbon and ceramic and other expensive stuff involved. It wouldn't surprise me if the final bill came to over £3000.
I could now be accused of having had two guesses. I look forward to the reveal on Monday. :)

Funnily enough I wrote about this in our Christmas newsletter at the end of last year when I was lucky enough to ride in one. At that time I priced up the brake discs&pads all round out of interest! I'll let RAB reveal all, all that I'll say is that it is eye watering and rather defeats the object of the economy and efficiency of the vehicle somewhat!

However, it's worth noting that the XL1 was always planned to be an engineering project, to deliver CO2 savings, and never a cost-effective production car.

Cheers Rob

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
The price for replacing front discs & pads, rear discs & pads and the ARB is a total of £26,417.46 + VAT (£31,700.92)!

RAB

The price for replacing front discs & pads, rear discs & pads and the ARB is a total of £26,417.46 + VAT (£31,700.92)!

RAB

Hahaha!! So, my second guess of £3000 is about 1/10th of the actual cost. That's insane. I think I'd rather have an A2 1.2 TDI and get twice as many doors, twice as many seats, a comparatively massive boot and 95% as good fuel economy.

Tom

Hahaha!! So, my second guess of £3000 is about 1/10th of the actual cost. That's insane. I think I'd rather have an A2 1.2 TDI and get twice as many doors, twice as many seats, a comparatively massive boot and 95% as good fuel economy.

Tom

Absolutely right, and for the price you could get about five A1 (condition that is!) A2 1.2Tdi's from Rob! The fuel economy would be about 60%; the XL1 does about 150mpg. The range is also poor, about 330m (10L tank).

RAB

The fuel economy would be about 60%; the XL1 does about 150mpg.

RAB

Well, I suppose this is where our comparison breaks down. When I was a passenger in an XL1, its batteries were depleted, meaning it was relying on the 2-pot TDI. It managed 115mpg running on diesel alone. Of course, if you're using it primarily for short journeys, the XL1 will do a greater percentage of its miles on electricity rather than diesel. But running solely on diesel, it's not that much better than the A2 1.2 TDI.

Cheers,

Tom

Well, I suppose this is where our comparison breaks down. When I was a passenger in an XL1, its batteries were depleted, meaning it was relying on the 2-pot TDI. It managed 115mpg running on diesel alone. Of course, if you're using it primarily for short journeys, the XL1 will do a greater percentage of its miles on electricity rather than diesel. But running solely on diesel, it's not that much better than the A2 1.2 TDI.

Cheers,

Tom

Hi Tom,

Yes, but I was relying on the official figures and I forgot that you can't rely on them anymore! Actually it's not too much of a surprise as the XL1 weighs nearly as much as a Lupo 3L!

RAB

Back