Need a new alternator

katiemay

Please help! Need a new alternator

Hey guys, Havnt posted in a while!
I need abit of help, :) I Havnt used my car in a while As I now have a job in central London, I've been told before I stopped using the car so much that I need a new alternator as the car just randomly cuts out!
How much roughly Isit to fix? Does anyone have one going for sale?
Also my battery is now completely dead, will a jump start help or would I need a whole new battery?
I will be using the car next month so need to get this all fixed as soon as!

Also to add onto the cost I need a new rear passenger window if someone has a spare one for me to buy :)

Hope someone can help or give me advice

Thanks!!!

Last edited:
You could jump start the car but if the Alternator is on the way out it won't last long I'm afraid, best bet is to fully charge the battery with a charger and see where you go from there. I had the same problem recently and initially I replaced the battery and then had to replace the alternator. If you have a multi-meter (cheap on Ebay) then you need to check the voltage across the battery, it should be around 14.2v with the engine running, this is a healthy alternator charging a healthy battery anything less and it could be the battery or alternator, to confirm which a fully charged battery should be putting out over 12v when sitting in the car and nothing on (unless you have a battery drain of some sort). If you need a battery it will be about £80 an alternator will be around £120 plus about 1.5 hours labour to fit, so somewhere north of £200. Hope that helps, it really depends on if you want to check it or get a garage to fix it, there is a great video on youtube that tells you what to do here is a link -

[video=youtube;LGB6ZEjGm7Q]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGB6ZEjGm7Q[/video]

You could jump start the car but if the Alternator is on the way out it won't last long I'm afraid, best bet is to fully charge the battery with a charger and see where you go from there. I had the same problem recently and initially I replaced the battery and then had to replace the alternator. If you have a multi-meter (cheap on Ebay) then you need to check the voltage across the battery, it should be around 14.2v with the engine running, this is a healthy alternator charging a healthy battery anything less and it could be the battery or alternator, to confirm which a fully charged battery should be putting out over 12v when sitting in the car and nothing on (unless you have a battery drain of some sort). If you need a battery it will be about £80 an alternator will be around £120 plus about 1.5 hours labour to fit, so somewhere north of £200. Hope that helps, it really depends on if you want to check it or get a garage to fix it, there is a great video on youtube that tells you what to do here is a link -

[video=youtube;LGB6ZEjGm7Q]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGB6ZEjGm7Q[/video]
Replies like this one, is what makes A2OC a great club! Very informative. Good job mrbroons!

Back