Loud Engine Sound: Tinny/Metallic Cling

trex

Hello fellow drivers, i want to get an opinion regarding a strange engine noise.
About a week ago, my AMF engine developed a tinny metallic sound when revving between 1200 and 1800 rpm, when accelerating and even when decelerating. It was faint but noticeable.
Today, on startup, it started to sound like a big bell was being rattled under the hood, even at idle, as shown in the video below.
I've changed my timing belt kit and the auxiliary belt about amonth ago with quality Continental parts and my mechanic didn't notice anything wrong at that time, have you heard this sound before, any ideas?

View attachment amf_cling.mov

It doesn't sound like an "Expensive noise", mainly because the noise is so clear and like a tinkling sound.

That indicates something external and something small.

Try to locate the source by using the "old pipe method".

Try to find a legth of heating hose or similar (one ideally about 1 inch diameter)
Place one end over your ear hole (don't get confused, I said EAR hole!!!)
Use the other end like a stethoscope and you will almost certainly be able to tell where the sound is coming from.

My money is on a loose jubilee type clip. It is the sort of frequency that comes from something rattling on the exhaust, so check there first.

Good luck

Steve B

That dont sound good at all and sounds like somethings rattling away and come lose. as you mention youv had the timing belt changed id say somethings either come adrift, a bolt come lose ect or youv a pully or adjuster bearing gone cu put , id suggest removing the top cambelt cover to gain sight of the cam belt and top pulleys and see if anything stands out, you also mention you fitted continental belts and i remember when i repaired my TDI i bought from another member that had ripped all its teeth off the belt, i tried a continental belt first to just see if it started when timed up correctly but removed it and took it back and got a genuine belt as it was way too tight even with the adjusters wound back to the slackest and way to tight for my liking and imagined it would just pull all the adjuster bearings apart, might not be the case for you A2 but thought id mention it, id also check the alternator clutch, pulley for play and the main belt adjuster.. I would get it rectified as soon as rather than driving too far as might be something simple for now like a nut come lose and rattling but if left it could be terminal if something more serious when it lets go..

Good luck and hope you gets to the bottom of your problem.

Update: after the sound stopped, today, while driving i heard a metallic sound like driving over a piece of metal. A few kilometers down the road i heard it again but this time after stopping i found this piece on the road (marked in red in the picture), branded with the code 038 103 390.
Tomorrow will go to the garage again to see what's the deal...this is the first time i've had parts fly from under the hood, i feel like i'm in a video game, a bad one. s-l1600.jpg

Update: after the sound stopped, today, while driving i heard a metallic sound like driving over a piece of metal. A few kilometers down the road i heard it again but this time after stopping i found this piece on the road (marked in red in the picture), branded with the code 038 103 390.
Tomorrow will go to the garage again to see what's the deal...this is the first time i've had parts fly from under the hood, i feel like i'm in a video game, a bad one.View attachment 24610

It is coming up as either a "Bracket" not a lot of help that, or a "Suspension Lug" also not much help.

Steve B

In Sarge's excellent thread here, the first photograph in post #2 shows the item. It looks to be used when lifting the engine or head perhaps?

Regards,

Matt.

Thanks for the help, it was indeed an engine lift bracket used to take the engine out of the bay. It seems the nut holding it in place got loose and then started to rattle, eventually flying off.
I could only find a similar post online from a guy who coincidentally also remapped his 1.4TDI and was starting to get worried it could be a failed part due to stress.
Sooo, now you can i have a lightened engine, yey!

Back