Smarty

Been having problems with warm start for about 2 months, gradually got worse. I changed the fuel filter and cleaned the throttle (which was black on engine side). In the end the car would not warm-start for over an hour. Finally it would conk-out whilst running after about 1 min. RAC came in the end and their computer said the crankshaft sensor needed replacing (all else clear). Got this done by the local garage (non-Audi part) as it was a bitch to get the rubber boot off and into the sensor space on the FSI. After the replacement the problem was not resolved (but garage said no other faults on their computer). Car only started for 30 seconds and then stalled. Now the engine turns but doesn't fire at all. Garage thinks probably an electrical or sensor problem.
I have spent hours on this EXCELLENT forum looking for a similar problem by other owners but to no avail.
Please help me......:(

If you have access to VCDS you can check the High fuel pressure and eliminate any problems with the fuel delivery.
[01 - Engine]
[Meas. Blocks - 08]
Group 106
[Go!]
Field 2: Fuel Rail,Pressure (actual): 55% or below is normal at idle

Pressure should be between 30 and 110 bar with the engine running and with the starter your should have at least 20 bar, I think.

Been having problems with warm start for about 2 months, gradually got worse. I changed the fuel filter and cleaned the throttle (which was black on engine side). In the end the car would not warm-start for over an hour. Finally it would conk-out whilst running after about 1 min. RAC came in the end and their computer said the crankshaft sensor needed replacing (all else clear). Got this done by the local garage (non-Audi part) as it was a bitch to get the rubber boot off and into the sensor space on the FSI. After the replacement the problem was not resolved (but garage said no other faults on their computer). Car only started for 30 seconds and then stalled. Now the engine turns but doesn't fire at all. Garage thinks probably an electrical or sensor problem.
I have spent hours on this EXCELLENT forum looking for a similar problem by other owners but to no avail.
Please help me......:(

Did you not come across the posts that relate to this problem where the cause was a broken temperature sender? That fools the engine into thinking that the engine is cold when it is actually hot, and overfuels it.

I am not saying that this is the cause, but it happens on a lot of A2s, it is cheap to sort and a relatively easy DIY job.

Worth trying?

Steve B

Hi Steaman and Steve
Thanks for the advise. You both seem to think it's a fuel problem. Steve, didn't come across that post, i'll buy the temp sensor and let you know how I get on.
cheers

Hi Steaman and Steve
Thanks for the advise. You both seem to think it's a fuel problem. Steve, didn't come across that post, i'll buy the temp sensor and let you know how I get on.
cheers

Yes, the search engine is not great on here, I always use Google, just enter "A2OC hot starting"

Try that, you will be surprised how much better it is to search that way.

Steve B

have you popped the spark plugs out and had a look see , if there wet with petrol as may be flooded ? id even get someone to try to start while your watching the spark plugs out resting on the rocker cover to see if youv a spark as your saying it wont even fire up now ?

-Gary

Good suggestion, also while the plugs are out use a lighter and burn the ends of the plugs to clear out any petrol and warm them up a bit. Then while they are still warm pop them in and try starting the car, It may well be flooded now, due to the issue with starting.

Steve B

I always start with the basics first , check ive got a spark, put some petrol in a clean washing up bottle , remove the air cleaner top or air inlet pipe to the throttle body and squirt a little petrol in while someone turns it over if i got a good spark just to force it to fire up.

I always start with the basics first , check ive got a spark, put some petrol in a clean washing up bottle , remove the air cleaner top or air inlet pipe to the throttle body and squirt a little petrol in while someone turns it over if i got a good spark just to force it to fire up.

Yes, but if the engine is flooded, as it sounds like it is, the last thing you want is more petrol in the cylinders.

You are right that doing that can get even the most stubborn engines to fire up, but it is normally only required when you have a new or freshly rebuilt engine.

Steve B

Back