EGR Vacuum Pipe

zarona

Hi All,
Just checking my A2 which I have not had long.
I was drying up under the bonnet after a power wash and noticed the EGR vacuum pipe coming from the EGR was just 'flapping about' in mid-air, and it had a bolt screwed into the flapping end!
I have read a few threads from some years back discussing that sometimes this vacuum pipe is purposely disconnected.
However I believe that pipe should be connected to the air filter which I think is on the other side of the engine compartment. My vacuum pipe is only about 200mm long so would be about 400mm too short to make this connection!
Can anyone throw any more light on this?................is it common/ok to blank off the EGR vacuum pipe?..............is it that I should have a longer pipe?
Many thanks,
Peter

Hi All,
Just checking my A2 which I have not had long.
I was drying up under the bonnet after a power wash and noticed the EGR vacuum pipe coming from the EGR was just 'flapping about' in mid-air, and it had a bolt screwed into the flapping end!
I have read a few threads from some years back discussing that sometimes this vacuum pipe is purposely disconnected.
However I believe that pipe should be connected to the air filter which I think is on the other side of the engine compartment. My vacuum pipe is only about 200mm long so would be about 400mm too short to make this connection!
Can anyone throw any more light on this?................is it common/ok to blank off the EGR vacuum pipe?..............is it that I should have a longer pipe?
Many thanks,
Peter

Hi Peter,

there are two connections on the EGR value, the "output" is via the metal pipe you can see coming out from the front of the value and looping round pointing to the back of the engine. This should connect to the intake manifold by the throttle valve and this takes the exhaust gases and recirculates them back to the intake as required.

The valve itself is electrically operated via a solenoid by the ECU computer.

There is also a short very thin rubber hose which emerges out the side of the the valve. This is normally about 20 cm long and is meant to be terminated by a small plug in air filter. This allows the internal workings of the value to be vented to the atmosphere for pressure equalisation. The normal fitment is for this hose to just dangle with the filter at the end!

If it is the vent pipe (rather than the exhaust gas outlet) which is blocked up, I can only postulate why this was done. It may have been done out of error or perhaps the valve has failed inside and is leaking exhaust gasses though the internals?

regards

Andrew

Hi Andrew,
Thank you for your reply. Yes it is the 20cm long vent pipe. Prior to my Thread I was looking at it on the Vagpart website (I find this brilliant by the way, in addition to the part numbers, for understanding how parts fit together) and I misunderstood the diagram as it showed the 20cm pipe with a 'broken' line through it, suggesting it could be longer, and showing it connecting to the air filter. I always thought an EGR vent connected to the air filter box, but from your reply I now understand that on the A2 it is a small air filter attached to the end of the pipe which just 'floats' about! So I will try to buy one and fit it to see if there is any effect.
But reading other Threads prior it seems that some have purposely shut off the vent pipe which stops the EGR from working, and possibly giving better performance! Any thoughts on this yourself?
Many thanks
Peter

Hi Andrew,
Thank you for your reply. Yes it is the 20cm long vent pipe. Prior to my Thread I was looking at it on the Vagpart website (I find this brilliant by the way, in addition to the part numbers, for understanding how parts fit together) and I misunderstood the diagram as it showed the 20cm pipe with a 'broken' line through it, suggesting it could be longer, and showing it connecting to the air filter. I always thought an EGR vent connected to the air filter box, but from your reply I now understand that on the A2 it is a small air filter attached to the end of the pipe which just 'floats' about! So I will try to buy one and fit it to see if there is any effect.
But reading other Threads prior it seems that some have purposely shut off the vent pipe which stops the EGR from working, and possibly giving better performance! Any thoughts on this yourself?
Many thanks
Peter

Hi Peter, you might be thinking about the crank case ventilation system which does typically involve a connection from the air filter. The EGR output typically enters downstream just after the throttle valve plate and so goes straight into the inlet manifold.

To stop the EGR working, typically, the exhaust feed is blocked by using a solid plate rather than a gasket (with a hole in the middle) on the exhaust manifold connection. Most EGR systems involve a pipe between the exhaust manifold and the valve so the pipe can be discarded if blocked of at the exhaust end as long as the other end at the inlet manifold is blocked off or the valve is kept in place but disabled. I have seen the exhaust side of the EGR blocked off when the feed pipe splits, rather than replace the pipe.

The 1.4 petrol engine is a bit unusual in that the exhaust feed to the EGR valve is actually a channel within the cylinder head from the exhaust port rather than an external hose. That's why there is only one pipe coming off the valve, the "input" connection is actually from the side of the engine where the valve is mounted. If you wanted to block it then that's where you would want to do it.

The EGR is there to reduce NOx emissions and improve efficiency. Disabling it would therefore negate that. It would also probably turn on your check engine warning light as the ECU would detect a fault as the EGR and therefore the engine would not be working as expected.

What it would do is prevent the induction system from getting clogged up with carbon deposits. Some people do say that it improves engine power, although for those which I have read about its normally turbocharged diesel engines. Note that the effect on petrol engines of EGR is different to diesel engines. The benefits of EGR to petrol engine efficiency doesn't apply to diesels for example where instead EGR causes increased soot and reduced power extraction from the fuel combustion.

Personally, I wouldn't block off the exhaust recirculation it as its there for a reason and I would think that it would be better to ensure that the engine is working properly which would give you the best balance of power and economy.

Cross section picture of the EGR valve. The dangly hose connects to the small port on the side:

AUA EGR Valve.jpg

regards

Andrew

Hi Andrew,
Many thanks for all the technical detail about the possibly of cutting out the EGR valve, and the diagram too.
I have bought one of the original filters that fit on the end of the 'floating' vent pipe, so will see if there is any noticeable difference to the engine running!
Regards,
Peter

One advantage of EGR is that it can decrease engine warm up time where the exhaust gas is cooled by the engine coolant. It should be pointed out that it is illegal to use a car on which EGR is disabled.

RAB

Back