Happened twice: 1.6 FSI tempereature rising

6stings

A2OC Donor
If any of this makes the sense to you, let me know, please, what problem could it be:

1st time:

A month ago, while crawling in the early morning traffic jam in Århus, Denmark, a piping warning almost made my ears bleeding and I was surprised seeing the big, yellow, coolant warning flashing. The temperature pointer was almost at 100 and was raising.

I managed to escape to the nearest parking lot, before it reached 120+, turned the engine off, took off the bonnet and placed it on the grass.

No signs of leakage, the coolant level was right between min & max, I was quite confused.

Smoked a cigarette, wondering what to do, cause I had to drive 150 km to Odense.

10 minutes passed, I turned the engine on and the coolant needle nicely turned back to 90, like nothing happened.

And that was it. I drove a few thousand km after that, with no signs of any problem.

2nd time:

Wednesday last week, I was crawling in the afternoon traffic jam, this time out of Copenhagen, Denmark.

I was thinking about engine temperature experience from month ago and was watching the needle, it was at 90 for a long time.

But, suddenly, it started to raise a litlle above 90 and, at the same time, the wind screen started to get foggy!?
No panic warning light or piping.

The air ventilation was at 2-3 so I turned it up to 10-12.

The fog was gone, and - the temperature needle went back to 90!?

Keeping the aircon blowing like hell, I continued to crawl at 20-30-40 kmh for about 30 minutes, with no engine heating problems. The needle was steady on the 90!

Finaly out of the jam, full speed up to Odense and Århus, no problem at all.
Back to Norway, no problem at all.

Learning from the last incident - when I have to drive slow, 1st gear, 2nd gear, 1st gear, 2nd gear, I keep the aircon blowing a lot. A speed over 60-70 kmh, I reduce the blowing.
No problems.

My questions are:
Do I have a radiator fan problem?
Do I have a thermostat problem?
Where could the problem be?
How can aircon control affect the engine cooling?

Appreciate your help and expertise!

You don't mention if the radiator Fan was running?

The first time I turned the engine off, when I parked the car, so I couldn't know if it was running while temp was raising.
After that, it was obviously running, since I got no temp issues before last week.
The second time, as I said, the temp normalized after aircon was turned up to blow almost at max, so I guess the fan was running.

Told Ole, when I met him, about what happened, he suspected the fan fuse.

You will hear the running fan when you turn of the engine.

Sometimes it runs for a short time after the engine is turned off, yes, but not always, I think, I wasn't paying much attention to that.
I'll drive it today and check!

Thanks!

A short drive, 30 minutes, no issues.
Took the bonnet of to see if the fan is running after the engine is off - it runs just a few seconds it needs to stop, doesn't continue to run at full speed.

What does this tells you, steaman?

I think that it is normal, remember that it's not so hot in Scandinavia and if you are driving under normal conditions the fan does not kick in all the time. I was more thinking of the situation when you had your last problem in the traffic jam i Copenhagen. When driving with low ore no speed the fan is the only thing that lowers the temp.

Hey, 20 degress C is extremely hot here :)
I don't know really, the last time I increased the aircon blowing and it somehow normalized the engine temp. Or it activated the fan, I honestly have no clue.
The first time, when the temp was almost 120, I can't remember if the fan was on after I turned off the engine and removed the bonnet. I was thinking more about the meetings I had to attend, than about the fan...

I'll report if the temp thing happens again, right now I'm not touching anything.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

when you turn the A/C on it also turns the radiator fan on to draw air through the A/C radiator so id image it will lower the temp in the cooling system too

Looks like it does. The A/C is always on, but when the temp started raising it was only on 2. Turning it to 10-12 regulated, well, something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sticking thermostat ? Faulty temp sender ? How old is the water pump as its not uncommon for the plastic impeller to fail causing very little coolant flow. Careful you don't cook that engine. Good luck Mike

Sticking thermostat ? Faulty temp sender ? How old is the water pump as its not uncommon for the plastic impeller to fail causing very little coolant flow. Careful you don't cook that engine. Good luck Mike

A sticking thermostat? Should I try to 'unstick' it somehow, or replace it?

Which temp sender, the one on the thermostat (which was a nightmare to replace) or the green one at the bottom of the radiator (which was easy to replace)
I replaced them both in March 2015.

I got new water pump in 12th June 2014, when the timing belt was changed.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Do I need to replace this thermostat housing
A2 16fsi thermostat.jpg

Or I can replace this part only
A2 16fsi thermostat 2.JPG

I would appreciate if you can give me part numbers!

This morning:
- took the bonnet off
- switched the A/C off before starting the engine
- started the engine - the fan didn't start on the cold engine
- drove arround until the temp got to 90
- parked and looked at the fan - it wasn't turning (or I should wait much longer?)
- switched the A/C on - the fan started

- turned the engine off
- closed the bonnet
- moved the luggage into A3 and drove to Oslo :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi guys, is it really neccessary to replace the hole thermostat assembly or it will be enough to replace thermostat itself?
e1534d6b2a0231cb167e142b377d3f04.jpg

I think its wiser to change the whole lot as seems the plastic used on our A2 cooling system does become brittle with age, and very common for them to fail...Im planning to replace the ones on my TDi as part of its top end overhaul ive started just to be safe.

-Gary

It sure is wiser, Gary, I thought to do first what's easier, if I can do it myself. The whole assembly required lot of work and so many things removed before getting close to it.

Your FSi is a lot more fiddlesome than my TDi ones as ones right up front on the engine and the others on the side of the head on the cylinder head above the gearbox so very easily replaced compaired to the FSi, I remember when i stripped down my 1.4 petrol engine and removed it from the car , whilst i was removing the hose clips on one of the pipes the plastic parts just crumbled away in my hands so it was a miracle it didnt blow on the 250mile journey bringing it home, id check on availability ect before pulling it apart and visually have a look see if yours is in good shape or has signs of gone a dull black and being brittle just to be safe too ..

Last edited:
Back