Oil light on

wendy

Hi guys advise needed by you lovely people. My 2001 1400 has its oil light warning flashing and beeping at me but oil level fine. sensor maybe? where is it and how easy to change if needed? thanks in advance xx

There is an oil pressure and oil level warning, the level warning showing the 'oil can' but with a wavy line and 'MIN'

Which warning do you have as both the level and pressure sensors can give problems but are in different locations.

Cheers Spike

OK.

It seems a common fault as a few owners have reported failed oil pressure sensors and a visual check often shows oil weeping from the sensor body.

Until you are sure that's the problem there is a big risk in wrecking the engine if it actually is low oil pressure so be warned.

I can't find a 'how to' and don't know 1.4 petrol engine details but the sensor is usually on the side and towards one end of the cyl head

Cheers Spike

Just found one of Sarge's pics and think the oil pressure sensor is just visible on the gearbox end of the head (pictorially above the yellow connector on the fan control module) http://www.a2oc.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=13955&d=1385394470

Last edited:
I had/am having the same issue, but I think it may be the symptom of something else, happy to share what info I have and if you find a fix let me know. But as already mentioned by Spike to some checking as if it is low oil pressure it's an engine breaker. I can send you a photo of where the sensor is for you to check, not too expensive to replace and easily done.

Hi guys advise needed by you lovely people. My 2001 1400 has its oil light warning flashing and beeping at me but oil level fine. sensor maybe? where is it and how easy to change if needed? thanks in advance xx

I currently have an oil sensor warning. It bleeps every time when switching the ignition on and then occasionally thereafter. It does not flash and as well as the OIL CAN symbol there is the word SENSOR and they are both orange in colour. The manual says it is a oil LEVEL sensor.

IF it is the sensor then the oil needs to be drained to replace, so I'm leaving it until the next service due within a month. Just manually checking the oil level weekly. Cost of the sensor is almost £100 - ouch! but the garage will fit for free when they do the service and oil change.

Hope you sus out what your problem is soon.

I currently have an oil sensor warning. It bleeps every time when switching the ignition on and then occasionally thereafter. It does not flash and as well as the OIL CAN symbol there is the word SENSOR and they are both orange in colour. The manual says it is a oil LEVEL sensor.

IF it is the sensor then the oil needs to be drained to replace, so I'm leaving it until the next service due within a month. Just manually checking the oil level weekly. Cost of the sensor is almost £100 - ouch! but the garage will fit for free when they do the service and oil change.

Hope you sus out what your problem is soon.

There are two different sensors used on A2s, one for petrol engines and one for Diesel engines.

The location of the sender is very different too and I am pretty sure that the diesel oil level sensor is more awkward to change and the diesel sensor is also a LOT more expensive than the petrol one, as Alan has mentioned (I think the Diesel oil level sensor was around £80 last time I checked, but the petrol one is MUCH cheaper)

Steve B

if anyone has a pic of what the petrol one looks like be grateful as I have seen 2 very different. thanks x

if anyone has a pic of what the petrol one looks like be grateful as I have seen 2 very different. thanks x

OIl level.jpg

Steve B

Hi
sorty if I have misunderstood but the post from Alan was referring to the oil level sensor (he mentions that it beeps as soon as you switch the engine on. That would be the oil level sensor because until the engine is running there would be no low oil pressure warning. Also I know that the oil level warning has the word "sensor" on it when the sensor fails. So I assumed we were talking about level and not pressure.

Sorry

Yes the picture I posted is the oil level sensor not the pressure sensor

Steve B

Hi Wendy
Are you sure your reading the oil level correctly as when i first purchased my A2 petrol it was a nightmear to get a correct reading due to oil buildup in the connecting tube , as every time i checked it gave a false reading, especially if checking on a warm engine, Best to leave the car parked on level ground and check before starting first time of the day, If the alarm is for low engine oil it means youl need to put 1L of oil in approx as thats what it needs from bottom mark to top mark on the dip stick and the warning flags up at roughly bottom mark i think, i removed my corrugatted pipes that connects to the sump from the dip stick and the oil top up part that swivels out with the oil cap on and cleaned all these parts up as only held in place with a few screws and the swivel part seperates once removed which made things so much better ..

-Gary

No it beeps after starting engine , a few minutes after, with a flashing oil can. so that would be oil level sensor you sent me. Thank you , are they an easy fit? x

Thank you, I did top it up first time I saw it but didn't make a difference, just worried I will over fill it lol x

Back