Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 1.4 AMF TDI cylinder head Overhaul

1.4 AMF TDI cylinder head Overhaul

As my Tdi is off the road ive finally gotten around to doing the cylinder head refurb, as my head gasket has been slightly weeping oil from the front right side of the head gasket and it finally progressed to presurising the coolant for the last few thousand miles, so was overdue being delt with. Ive been sourcing most the parts to do this over the last few months plus i found a few guides to help with replacing the head gasket.

The only thing i cant find is a guide to removing the rockers , injectors and camshaft itself as im sure they may be some stretch bolts securing these parts in place that need replacing, ile also need all the torque settings for reassembly,

if anyone has these it would be very much appreciated if you can share them with me ..

So far ive stripped everything thing down and removed the cylinder head, Turbo and manifolds and have left the head soaking in engine cleaner "gunk" as found the inlets were extremely full of black gunge, soot and though best to sit the head up on its side and fill up the ports with cleaner to soak over night before trying to clean everything up.

Im planning to take some photos during the rebuild as im also planning to lightly port and match up the manifolds to the ports, as so far ive noticed the manifold ports are a few mm larger in diameter than those on the head, so matching these up and removing all the rough casting edges should also help the engine run a lot better.

BEFORE PICTURES

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1466.JPG 
Views:	220 
Size:	1.90 MB 
ID:	24809

Name:	IMG_1467.JPG 
Views:	151 
Size:	1.91 MB 
ID:	24810

Name:	IMG_1468.JPG 
Views:	140 
Size:	1.45 MB 
ID:	24811

Name:	IMG_1469.JPG 
Views:	172 
Size:	1.61 MB 
ID:	24812

Name:	IMG_1461.JPG 
Views:	158 
Size:	1.73 MB 
ID:	24813

Name:	IMG_1462.JPG 
Views:	171 
Size:	1.69 MB 
ID:	24814

Name:	IMG_1463.JPG 
Views:	140 
Size:	1.59 MB 
ID:	24815

Name:	IMG_1464.JPG 
Views:	164 
Size:	1.55 MB 
ID:	24816

-Gary
    Audi A2 TDI SE , Working sky , Bose , Dis , rear electric windows , Red leather .... Daily Driver

Audi A2 1.4 16valve

AUDI A2 SE 1.4TDI dirty diesel dog, Rebuild in progress , next stage custom stainless manifold and VNT Turbo

Project A2 Quattro Twin bike Engined Transplant, custom paintwork, bodykit front and rear bumper update with A6 sport Grill .

2. Users that liked this post:

Sarge (22-06-2016)

Reserved for After pictures
    Audi A2 TDI SE , Working sky , Bose , Dis , rear electric windows , Red leather .... Daily Driver

Audi A2 1.4 16valve

AUDI A2 SE 1.4TDI dirty diesel dog, Rebuild in progress , next stage custom stainless manifold and VNT Turbo

Project A2 Quattro Twin bike Engined Transplant, custom paintwork, bodykit front and rear bumper update with A6 sport Grill .

Hi Gary,

drop me a PM with a contact email address and I'll send you what I have, which should help.

cheers
    Jeff
    Silver 2002 1.4 TDi SE
    Heated Red Sports Leather 4 Seat Interior, TTS FBMFSW, Open Sky System, Bose, RNS-E with Audi Bluetooth Telephony & SDS, DIS, Audi iPod link, Cruise Control, Komfortblinker, New Style Asymmetric Key Fobs, Rear Cup Holders, 4 x Electric Windows, Auto-dimming Rearveiw Mirror, A2OC Mats, TT Pedals, Puddle Lighting, Headlight Washers, Headlight Protectors, Debadged, 0.659 5th Gear, H&R Front and Rear ARB's, Koni FSDs & Weitec -30 Springs, Rear Disc Axle Conversion, ATE Powerdisc and Ceramic Pads, 17" TT Ronal Wheels with 215/40 Tyres, Floppy Wiper, Votex Body Kit, Spacesaver, Heated Wing Mirrors, K&N, Stealthed & a Coat-Hanger!

5. Users that liked this post:

JIGSAW (22-06-2016)

email on its way.

Good luck
    Jeff
    Silver 2002 1.4 TDi SE
    Heated Red Sports Leather 4 Seat Interior, TTS FBMFSW, Open Sky System, Bose, RNS-E with Audi Bluetooth Telephony & SDS, DIS, Audi iPod link, Cruise Control, Komfortblinker, New Style Asymmetric Key Fobs, Rear Cup Holders, 4 x Electric Windows, Auto-dimming Rearveiw Mirror, A2OC Mats, TT Pedals, Puddle Lighting, Headlight Washers, Headlight Protectors, Debadged, 0.659 5th Gear, H&R Front and Rear ARB's, Koni FSDs & Weitec -30 Springs, Rear Disc Axle Conversion, ATE Powerdisc and Ceramic Pads, 17" TT Ronal Wheels with 215/40 Tyres, Floppy Wiper, Votex Body Kit, Spacesaver, Heated Wing Mirrors, K&N, Stealthed & a Coat-Hanger!

7. 2 users that liked this post:

JIGSAW (22-06-2016), Sarge (22-06-2016)

Thanks Jeff

They were a great help !!

-Gary

Audi A2 1.4 16valve

Hi Gary

Ref your planned cylinder head work, I always think back to some articles written by Bill Blydenstein. He said the biggest incremental gain in gas flow is by careful work on the valve head and seats. He recommended '3 angle' seats with further blending to get the smoothest flow between the valve head and seat which gives an improvement at all stages of valve opening and not just on full lift.
    A 'watchout' on tdi heads is a raised diagonal ridge in the port area just under the inlet valves. This improves swirl around the back of the port which in turn is good for clean combustion. It's not great for ultimate power but can make the engine quite smoky if ground off.

Look forward to the 'after' pics (and apologies if you already know this stuff)

Cheers Spike

10. Users that liked this post:

JIGSAW (22-06-2016)

Strewth - those inlet ports are well gummed up - just cleaning that off should improve the air flow!

Simon.
    2005 TDi 75 with Opensky.
    Now with heated seats and DIS - thanks to Timmus.

Thanks Spike,

I sure ive read a post from yrs back where you wer thinking about porting a TDi cylinder head, if im not mistaken, Did you ever try porting and did the engine run any better ?

Yes ive done plenty of research and No Worrys as any input or advise is always helpfull, you can actually get multi angles seats nowadays with 3, 5 or 7 angles but as im not building a race engine just matching the manifolds and ports up and tidying up the ports, smothing out the tight curves ile be going for the 3 angle seats and leaving the swirl bumps well alone as from what i understand unless your intending on fitting a huge turbo which needs high flow rates through the ports and reving well above 5000rpm youl lose power by removing the ridges as there needed to promote swirl for maximum combustion in a standard engine,

The only problem ive come across so far is i was planning on having the head skimmed whilst it is in the machine shop having the valves done, thow only by the bare minimum, but in all the Audi pdf's ive read through they state do not skim the diesel heads, i can see that skimming a head will change the compression slightly but i will need to do some more research before i do have my head skimmed, as i did not see it would make much difference as the valves sit flush with the top deck and the pistons have the deep swirl cut outs for combustion and my thinking was to skim and its 100% .

-Gary

Audi A2 1.4 16valve

Quote Originally Posted by sco View Post
    Strewth - those inlet ports are well gummed up - just cleaning that off should improve the air flow!

Simon.

Yes it sure is and 2 to 3mm deep further in the ports and i could just dig my fingers into the gunge, the engines only done just over 122,000 miles, I gather its all come from the EGR valve as the pipe work from the exhaust up into the turbo is just as bad and it will all be getting a good old clean up and i may even blank the EGR off just for good measure and stop it from happening again . Its not really a hard carbon deposit ,its very simular to the black fur that lines the exhaust system thow more oily but gather that may be from the 2stroke oil i add to the fuel.

-Gary
    Last edited by JIGSAW; 22-06-2016 at 09:19 PM.

Audi A2 1.4 16valve

Hi Gary

I did mention a long while ago that I had plans for a flowed cyl head and even bought a well used one to experiment on. I reworked one inlet and exhaust port, wore my Dremel out and never finished it.
    Regarding head skimming, head gaskets were available in 3 thicknesses so if you're lucky and only remove a few thou, it's possible a thicker gasket will put everything back to standard spec

Cheers Spike

15. Users that liked this post:

JIGSAW (25-06-2016)