New battery on its way!

Crazylegs

After my starting problems Saturday, that put a stop to me attending the VAG at the manor show in my A2 on the Sunday, I have ordered a new Battery via Eurocarparts, its a Duracell Advanced with a full 5 year guarantee, Fitment 096 which I'm pretty sure is the correct fitment for the Audi TDI , its on the site for £83 quid but they have a flash sale on at the moment until midnight Thursday with 30% off code CRAZY30, perfect I thought as it brought the battery's price down to a very reasonable £58.09 same day delivery ...Result!

Hopefully its not to difficult to remove the old battery which I'm pretty sure is the original as nothing in my service history or receipts to prove its had another batt fitted at some point.

Guys I have removed the leads from the battery, so what the hell is holding it in to the compartment, I see no screws or anything holding it down?

From memory I think you have to remove the rear boot plastic panel. There should be some plastic covers which will need to be gently prised out to reveal the screws. If you undo these then the panel and trim can be lifted out and access can be gained to the bolt clamp which will free the battery. :)

Last edited:
Look between the battery and the battery well. The black plastic part between the battery and the battery well (closest to you) has two bolts fastening in to the foot of the battery well. You will need a socket extension to reach them. You undo these, and the plastic part slides upwards. It has a step/ledge which holds the battery in place at the bottom.

When end you slide it out the battery will lift out.

When you put the new battery in, slide it back and it will hold the battery in place. Replace the bolts, but do not madly over tighten them as they screw into brass captive nuts in the floor of the plastic battery well. Easy to break them out of the plastic.

Its advisory to remove all the foam inserts including the jack. I appreciate its a bit more of a job to remove the plastic panel but I was concerned I would break the "tyre gunge" holding foam.

Cheers guys for all your help its been chucking it down here so will attempt it tomorrow and report back :)

Just a heads up for the owners of newer A2's --the foam is different allowing the battery clamp/wall to be undone easier. Possibly changed in 03. I had to fit a new battery to vonnies a2 a couple of months ago. After reading on here i was expecting a battle but it was 5 min job. Cheers mike

Trying to remove the foamy inserts was a battle and a half, I had to remove all the bits of foam around it including the bit holding the jack to be able to wrestle and slide the piece out stopping me from accessing the M10 bolts, replaced the battery and the plastic to hold it down no probs..
Trying to get that piece of foam back was a nightmare and in the end I gave up and left it out, replaced all the other bits of foam including jack holder, so perhaps one of you guys could show me just how it goes in at one of the shows because for the life of me I couldn't get it back in there no matter what I did, I do have a nice little space for my spare jack and wheel nut brace now though because of it..:p

To be honest it was a nightmare and I can't help thinking Audi made it like that so most users would have to take the car for action at a main dealer for a battery change, which I think is laughable, I mean you gotta be an Audi Tech to change a battery, ridiculous!
Mike no wonder they changed the design on newer models..

Again thanks for all your help she now starts on the button

They must have changed the design on the later models, mine is a 55 plate and it was a doddle to change the battery, well not a doddle but was done within ten mins

Back