Oil filter housing cap - what size nut?

SRD

Hi,

I'm about to do my first oil change on my 2005 1.4 Tdi (75bhp) A2 and have seen the size of the oil filter housing nut variously quoted as 32mm and 36mm. Before I go out to buy a suitable socket, can anyone tell me which size I need?

Thanks

Simon

id also suggest you buy the 3 O rings , ones for the top and the other the 2 youl also need to lower oil cooler part to drain all the oil as when i did mine last year it holds about another half litre of oil in the oil cooler and pipes..

No 3 top oil seal 071115444
No 11 middle 038117070A
No 13 bottom 038117070

tdi oil filter seals.PNG

http://www.vagcat.com/epc/cat/au/A2/2001/248/49/3096156/

If no one post's up the sizes ile check for you tommorow and post them in the evening for you

-Gary

Last edited:
Gary,

That's most useful; thank you.

If you can check and post the size, that would be great.

Simon

No problem simon, as only discovered all the oil seals when i took mine apart for a full service last year, luckily TPS had them instock, be warned youl need a bucket underneath the car postioned under the oil filter assembly as it cant be helped, youl spill some oil as the extra held in the oil cooler pipes ..

Last edited:
I should add that the O rings are often included on new filters. I'd recommend just checking before you buy separate items. :)

Regards,

Matt.

As vespa already mentioned its the 36mm for the top nut, i use my A2 drive shaft socket which fits 36mm Bi Hex - 12 point and 32mm standard socket for the bottom nut to release the oil cooler, the O rings dont go on the filter they fit the exterior housings, i had to order them individually from TPS

Wish I had known this a few weeks ago I only bought a 32mm socket, 36mm ordered now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Genuine Audi or FRAM filter. Both come with 'o' rings. Draper make 36mm oil filter wrench (works across most VAG marques), and MINIs funnily enough. Remember and lightly oil the top 'o' ring on the filter cap thread.

Back