Bonnet across Britain

A2Steve

A2OC Donor
Wales
I've been chatting with Mike(A2sumo) over the last couple of days and have come up with an idea (inspired by our friends over at A2-Fruende).

Starting at ADI this year I'm hoping that we can pass an A2 bonnet across Britain by passing it from member to member across the country. This will all be dome with the aim of raising money for charity.

I have a spare bonnet here that we can use.

The format will work as follows:

1. Member A will sign their forum name, location and date on the bonnet (using car paint)
2. They will take a photo of their A2 with the bonnet fitted and post it to this thread.
3. They will send a donation of their choosing to a 'justgiving' page via PayPal etc.
4. They will post on the thread looking for the next member who is willing to meet up with them to hand over the bonnet and start process 1-3 again.

I'm hoping that each person will know who the next person is in advance of receiving the bonnet and this will be arranged via this thread. I will try to help arrange handovers if needed but I'm sure we can all work it out between us.

Photos can be taken individually or can be taken at the handover, it's completely up to you.

The bonnet will deliberately not have a lock on the service flap to avoid it getting locked on anyone's car. The bonnet will fit into the back of an A2 that has the rear seats folded up so there won't be any issue with hand over between members.

There are no rules as such but please can the following be kept in mind

1. Don't lose the bonnet
2. Don't drop the bonnet
3. Don't keep the bonnet for longer than a fortnight before handing it to another member.

I'm really hoping that this will be a bit of fun; will allow for members to meet up with others in their local area and most importantly raise funds for a good cause.

I DO NEED THE HELP OF THE CLUB TO GET IT STARTED BECAUSE I NEED A GRILLE FOR THIS TO WORK. As mentioned I have the bonnet here thatvwe can use but it is missing the service flap so if anyone has a spare one available that we could borrow that would be great. I will send it back to you once the fundraiser has finished.

I'm posting this now because although I'm planning to start this by doing the first handover at ADI in October, if anyone wants to start the ball rolling early and come and collect the bonnet from my house in Aberdare South Wales then I'm happy to get it underway earlier.

Over to you guys, what do you think and who's interested in taking part?

Volunteers so far:

Zippy - Birmingham
Steve B - Staines
Mr Broons - Lothian
A2! - Glasgow
Murdo = Ayrshire
Alan B - Somerset
A2Sumo - Essex
Hills - Yorkshire
Jeffers66 - Essex
Darren C - Milton Keynes
Alanuk - wiltshire
Jigsaw - Norfolk

Last edited:
Good idea , the hood is also sprayed special? I could make this spray or if you have an idea of ​​how it should look

Good idea , the hood is also sprayed special? I could make this spray or if you have an idea of ​​how it should look

I was going to leave in in its Cobalt Blue so that there is plenty of room for everyone who wants to take part to sign their name. Thank you for the offer though.

Just an idea.
The hood black and the English flag on it, like the picture.

britse-vlag-op-zwarte-achtergrond-14830531.jpg

This then goes to the members , each member paid a small contribution and in return receive a sticker of a butterfly with his name on it.
This sticker can stick them on the hood when they have had this on their car.

12874864-engels-vlag-vlinders-ge-soleerd-op-een-witte-achtergrond.jpg12665568-engels-vlag-vlinder-ge--soleerd-op-wit.jpg

Thank you Pocoloco. The main issue with having the bonnet painted is its very hard to courier a bonnet and therefore costly.

The main aim of the 'project' is to raise funds for charity so I don't think I could justify the expense on the Re-paint rather than giving it to charity.

The offer of the grille is very much appreciated though if you are willing. That would be a massive help, and I will be happy to courier it back to you after its finished with.

We could start it at AITP in August ? Have you decided if you are joining us for that show pocoloco ? August 13 and 14 for Audis in the park- it then gives us 2/3 socials before the end of year. Possibly Andre and the others will also be at that show.
Looking forward to seeing this happen. Mike

We could start it at AITP in August ? Have you decided if you are joining us for that show pocoloco ? August 13 and 14 for Audis in the park- it then gives us 2/3 socials before the end of year. Possibly Andre and the others will also be at that show.

Yeah that would be great, but someone will have to meet me beforehand for the bonnet as I won't be going to AITP.

Thumbs up from me Steve. It is certainly a novel idea, affords a great opportunity to meet up with fellow members, will promote the uniqueness of A2 and the club, all whilst raising money for charity. Win, win.

No, that does not happen , maybe in October

If we had stickers that we could write our name on you would start the process with around 30 cars at the social, each of us puttng the sticker on, fitting the bonnet, taking the picture and then passing it to the next car at the show? Having to paint the name on will delay things considrably. Just an idea?

Steve B

If we had stickers that we could write our name on you would start the process with around 30 cars at the social, each of us puttng the sticker on, fitting the bonnet, taking the picture and then passing it to the next car at the show? Having to paint the name on will delay things considrably. Just an idea?

Steve B

Yes I'm up for that. I'm in no way setting any rules on this, it's something for all the club to take part in and it should be what everyone wants it to be.

I suggested using paint to write people's names on as I envisaged one member at a time having the bonnet for a week or so.

If it starts at a social then yes, there would definitely be a need for it to be done quickly.

The only thing is I was hoping that it would be passed across the country from member to member. If it gets handed around a car show then everyone will have had it in one go and it would have travelled no further than one field :)

Yes I'm up for that. I'm in no way setting any rules on this, it's something for all the club to take part in and it should be what everyone wants it to be.

I suggested using paint to write people's names on as I envisaged one member at a time having the bonnet for a week or so.

If it starts at a social then yes, there would definitely be a need for it to be done quickly.

The only thing is I was hoping that it would be passed across the country from member to member. If it gets handed around a car show then everyone will have had it in one go and it would have travelled no further than one field :)

Yes, but at least each of us can fit the bonnet and have a picture taken too.

My fear would be that if we have to phsycally pass it around the contry ONLY, and two weeks at a time (while it gets painted) and then wait until the next person is agreed and times / dates set for the handover, it could be years.

At least if we get a good start at the social it might not tale so long to complete the journey.

But the physical cross the country is important too so that there is a theme.

I would love to see the bonnet starting out on a car photographed at Land's End and then finishing up with the connet on the final car photographed at John O'Groats (or the other way around?) or similar. I am not trying to hijeck your GREAT idea, just trying to makes sure we do all we can to make it a success?

Steve B

Thats a great idea youv put forward steve and most of all being for charity,

could we not all chip in and get something like the paint filled tyre pens , and they could be passed around with the bonnet to make
things easier, rather than everyone having to try and source something to paint there name on with, as imsure you can purchase them
with various tip sizes and colours ..

-Gary

Yes, but at least each of us can fit the bonnet and have a picture taken too.

My fear would be that if we have to phsycally pass it around the contry ONLY, and two weeks at a time (while it gets painted) and then wait until the next person is agreed and times / dates set for the handover, it could be years.

At least if we get a good start at the social it might not tale so long to complete the journey.

But the physical cross the country is important too so that there is a theme.

I would love to see the bonnet starting out on a car photographed at Land's End and then finishing up with the connet on the final car photographed at John O'Groats (or the other way around?) or similar. I am not trying to hijeck your GREAT idea, just trying to makes sure we do all we can to make it a success?

Steve B

Well if Murdo is up for it and is going to a meeting this year perhaps he could take it up to Scotland and then it can work it's way back down south.

I appreciate what your saying Steve that it may lose momentum if it's just relying on passing from member to member so yes, let's give it a good start off at one of the socials and see where it goes from there.

If it's takes a year then so be it, as long as it's doing good and people are enjoying it then there doesn't have to be a limit on it.

Great idea for the paint pens Gary, very fast and easy to hand over with the bonnet. I think I've got some pen graspers in work (ah hem) that could be stuck to the bonnet so the pens stay with it wherever it goes.

Can I just say how great it is that Pocoloco has volunteered a grille :)

Back