My 'not meant to be a project', project

A2Steve

A2OC Donor
Wales
I'm creating this project thread because despite only ever planning to fit a set of alloys the modding bug has bitten deep and it's gone quite a bit further. I hold you all responsible for it :)

Back in March 2014 I was on the lookout for a well built economical motor for commuting and having previously owned a petrol A2, a TDI was high on ny list of potential cars.

I came across a 2004 1.4 TDI SE with FASH and only 95k miles in a dealer in Sheffield, the only issue being it was 175 miles away.

Having chatted to the dealer he was making all the right noises and so I travelled the 350 mile round trip up to Sheffield with a mate to go and collect it. I was instantly impressed with the TDI in comparison with the petrol.

Current spec as per July 2017

18x8.5 3SDM 0.05 alloys with stretched 215/35/18 tyres
Votex bodykit
Remapped to 105
Allard tuning egr delete
Lowered on H&R springs with Monroe shocks
Colour coded service flap
Black mirrors, boot panel and bonnet vent
Red leather sports seats
Red leather and alcantara doorcards with Bentley speaker grilles
RNS-E
Sport steering wheel and gearknob
Rear cupholder
Cruise control

Last edited:
First mod (and intended to be my only) was to fit a set of 17 inch Audi S3 Avus alloys. I also tinted the rear windows as at the time we were using the A2 to transport our little one and it looked more attractive than sunshades.

Next up were the ATE powerdiscs and ceramic pads. Having never changed a set of brakes before (shocking I know) I practised on the breaker I've got in the garage to get a feel for it before going on to my own car. Must say its a relatively easy job for a home mechanic with the only difficulty being getting to piston to move back into the caliper without a tool as it was a little stiff. Very happy with the end result and I think they look great. Plus the massive bonus of no break dust :)

2rr1jl0.jpg

I then found a rear cupholder for a good price on ebay complete with all brackets. It's such a small mod but it really tidy's up the rear passenger area.

1z3uwqv.jpg

The trouble with fitting non-standard wheels is that they tend to highlight wheel arch gap. The standard shocks were very shocking after (now 110k) and so it was a good excuse to upgrade. I fitted Monroe Reflex dampers and H&R 25mm lowering springs, Meyle HD droplinks and all new ancillaries.

67qgkw.jpg

33a56dk.jpg

I felt the standard badges were ageing the rear end slightly and so decided to de-badge the bootlid

2egb4hi.jpg

I've always felt the front end of the A2 was lacking something and decided a front splitter was the way forward. I considered lots of options including a MK1 Renault laguna and mk4 astra but in the end preferred to keep it VAG and went for a SEAT Leon Cupra R splitter

2mzbgyd.jpg

The trouble with fitting non-standard wheels is that they tend to highlight wheel arch gap. The standard shocks were very shocking after (now 110k) and so it was a good excuse to upgrade. I fitted Monroe Reflex dampers and H&R 25mm lowering springs, Meyle HD droplinks and all new ancillaries.

67qgkw.jpg

33a56dk.jpg

Hey Steve,

if you ever have the feeling that your ride is too stiff, you might want to consider changing your setup sometime.
Monroe Dampers are average at best and the H&R lowering springs are very stiff leaving little comfort.

My recommendation to aim for Bilstein B4 Dampers and Spidan springs when going for affordable and no lowering and the ST Suspensions ST-X when aiming for lowering the car.

For an additional handling boost I recommend the H&R Swaybar that was created with the help of the german A2 forum. This does a lot for the car. Regardless of the setup it almost negates rolling of the car in corners and shifts the behavior from massive understeer to more neutral

I personally hold Steve Birchall responsible :p

Very addictive little vehicles, but a pleasure to own and maintain.

Sent from my E6553 using Tapatalk

Hi Steve your car looks really nice, what petrol model did you previously have? I've never driven the 1.4. Have always owned 75bhp tdis, although I am looking for a 1.6 fsi now, I think!! Or a 90tdi ?

Hi Steve your car looks really nice, what petrol model did you previously have? I've never driven the 1.4. Have always owned 75bhp tdis, although I am looking for a 1.6 fsi now, I think!! Or a 90tdi ?

I've had all variants of A2 bar a TDI 90. Petrol A2's are beautifully light and revvy but the torque and longevity of the TDI is what makes me stick with a 75 (albeit a remapped one).

Ooh that reminds me, it's also been remapped and had the EGR mapped out. It's surprising what you forget.

And despite it being July, I've fitted some genuine Audi heated mirrors I've had in the garage for a while.

2my68ao.jpg

Last edited:
Hey Steve,

if you ever have the feeling that your ride is too stiff, you might want to consider changing your setup sometime.
Monroe Dampers are average at best and the H&R lowering springs are very stiff leaving little comfort.

My recommendation to aim for Bilstein B4 Dampers and Spidan springs when going for affordable and no lowering and the ST Suspensions ST-X when aiming for lowering the car.

For an additional handling boost I recommend the H&R Swaybar that was created with the help of the german A2 forum. This does a lot for the car. Regardless of the setup it almost negates rolling of the car in corners and shifts the behavior from massive understeer to more neutral

When looking at my rear suspension the other day it says Blistien. Are the original parts on a tdi sport branded "Audi" or such or were made by other company such as Blistein? Just wondering as I have no documentation of them being changed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
The original parts are usually from "Sachs" (as far as I remember) with Audi Brands on them.
Black Bilstein dampers should be the Bilstein B4 as the B6 are yellow. But Bilstein was never equipped from factory.

Last edited:
Reactions: A2!
I was unsure whether or not to post for fear of breaking up the flow of your ace thread Steve.

A quick one to say a) it is a thoroughly enjoyable read, b) to say that all modifications and the attention to detail is to be applauded and c) your A2 looks fab and to keep up the good work.

Cheers,

Darren

Back