Roof box

MatiasMandango

A2OC Donor
Anyone know the rough size of the biggest roof box you can get on the A2, I measured it roughly the other day and it seems like 1.5-1.6m long might be the max. with 800mm - 900mm wide??

Cheers

Matt

I had this big ass roof box on my A2. I don't have the box here to measure, but it seems to be 90cm x 220 cm. The tailgate did hit it when opened though.

IMG_20150430_211419.jpgIMG_20150430_211433.jpgIMG_20150430_211446.jpg

I don't have the box with me now, but check my photo album out. I took it to Croatia last summer.

I'm going there with it again this summer and so I'll post up the dimensions once it's on.

Mine also very slightly restricted the boot opening, but all that extra space was seriously worth it!

Wow cheers guys they are seriously big, I was thinking I might only get a box around 1.5m long! I am off on a camping week so I need a lot of space so think I will start looking at around 1.8m boxes based on your pics.

Cheers

Matt

Thule atlantis 780 is the model. Haven't measured it but have a look. I borrow it from a friend of mine every year, and it's been rock solid on original Audi roof bars.

Thanks for this, interesting as well because I have just ordered the Thule 780 yesterday from ebay so I am glad it fits yours!! Definitely looking forward to some much needed extra space and I hope I can still see out of the windscreen!

I can't see any photos of your though unfortunately for some reason it shows nothing in your gallery??

Cheers

Matt

Excellent!

Yes, the boot is restricted slightly, but workable. Serious storage in it. I put all the soft stuff up there, clothes, shoes beach stuff etc. Keeps the weight limit on the roof down.

The first two images were taken a few days ago when I mounted it for our road trip next week.

Attachments

• croatia-01.jpg
    croatia-01.jpg
    223.9 KB · Views: 561
  • Italy-02.jpg
    Italy-02.jpg
    211.9 KB · Views: 587
  • 05.jpg
    05.jpg
    483.4 KB · Views: 1,657
  • ready_01.jpg
    ready_01.jpg
    569.8 KB · Views: 1,539
  • ready_02.jpg
    ready_02.jpg
    585.2 KB · Views: 1,106
I had this big ass roof box on my A2. I don't have the box here to measure, but it seems to be 90cm x 220 cm. The tailgate did hit it when opened though.

View attachment 25225View attachment 25226View attachment 25227

Hi, great job fitting that big roof box on top the A2. Amazing the tailgate did not hit it. Looks kinda OEM.

Just two questions:

1) would those genuine Audi roof bars fit on an open-sky A2 like mine?
2) what are those front led lights for? are they legal and/or worth of?

Thank you in advance.

We had the argument about open sky and roof bars not too long ago.

The bars will fit and probably not foul the roof, but the legality and sanity of doing this is questionable. I'm not permitted to do it, no German OSS A2s are. Your call. Check your car documentation.

The LEDs will be legal in Sweden, YMMV, check the rules. Ref 100 is the general limit and they must be symmetrical.

- Bret

We had the argument about open sky and roof bars not too long ago.

The bars will fit and probably not foul the roof, but the legality and sanity of doing this is questionable. I'm not permitted to do it, no German OSS A2s are. Your call. Check your car documentation.

The LEDs will be legal in Sweden, YMMV, check the rules. Ref 100 is the general limit and they must be symmetrical.

- Bret

Thanks Brett. Clarifying answer.

I'm trying to find the best way to carry a couple road bike on my spanish A2 OSS.
From lower to higher pricing:

a) Genuine Audi A2 roof bars + bike carriers
b) Paulchen dedicated bike rack for Audi A2 https://paulchensystem.net/hecktraeger-audi/a2-fahrradtraeger.html
c) Towbar/ball + mounted bike rack

I'm afraid I read compatibility issues involving both a) and b) with A2 open-sky roofs.
So...

Thanks Brett. Clarifying answer.

I'm trying to find the best way to carry a couple road bike on my spanish A2 OSS.
From lower to higher pricing:

a) Genuine Audi A2 roof bars + bike carriers
b) Paulchen dedicated bike rack for Audi A2 https://paulchensystem.net/hecktraeger-audi/a2-fahrradtraeger.html
c) Towbar/ball + mounted bike rack

I'm afraid I read compatibility issues involving both a) and b) with A2 open-sky roofs.
So...

I am looking to solve the same problem, so am following this thread with interest! I don't want a 5-mile mountain climb home on the bike EVERY time I venture out!

b works well, I have one. I'd go for the low version if you can, it's better for aerodynamics and won't rattle around as much.
You can occasionally find them on the German Forum if you go looking, there are also a few on ebay kleinanzeigen, I wouldn't bother buying new. Paulchen will also supply spares if you need them.

They are, however, a pain to store, so I'd make sure you have a good place to put it.

- Bret

Very interesting indeed.

Bret, I read somewhere A2 Paulchen users were afraid of breaking the rear glass as the Paulchen rack sits (or clamps) onto the glass.
I haven't found any solid pieces of evidence, neither pictures nor diagrams. You also spoke about some rattle... it doesn't sound like super-steady and safe... but I do trust your opinion. Is it?
Thanks!

it doesn't touch the glass, the side sections are attached to the ears which bolt onto the hinges.

Full details in the pictures here: https://a2-freun.de/forum/forums/topic/4949-paulchen-heckträger-aufbauanleitung/?tab=comments#comment-53433

Rattle is relative. I've used it on a limited basis and find it is way better than the "hook it in place" general ones.

edit says: https://paulchensystem.net/en/bicycle-rack-audi/a2-bike-carrier.html
That dark green A2 has the low loader on and it shows the difference - that will be much better in terms of keeping the bikes in the wind shadow of the car.

- Bret

Picked up my 'new' roof box this evening, sizes to follow.

Attachments

• IMG_20180611_212359.jpg
    IMG_20180611_212359.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,079
  • IMG_20180611_212407.jpg
    IMG_20180611_212407.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 563
Picked up my 'new' roof box this evening, sizes to follow.

Looks neat.

I just received the genuine Audi roof bars, for my Open-Sky A2.
I'll post some pics as son as I set them. Bret was right, looks like I won't be able to operate OSS with bars installed.

Back