Radio antenna

Simeand

Hi all!

I have just bought my first A2, and are going trough my cars faults.
I'm trying to find out about the poor radio reception.

This evening I tried to measure if there was any Connection between the antenna-plug in at the front, and the amps at the rear.
But the cable seems to have broken some where on the way... (there is ground signal all the way)

I tried to use a standard cable in the OEM head unit, and I got a clear signal just with this short cable.
So I recon that the head unit is OK.

Is there any knowned placed where the coax-cable can be broken?
Is the signal so well insulated that the signal will be poor when its not reaching the antenna amps?

Anyone that has got any ideas?

I have suffered poor reception on mny of or A2s. The "antennas are in the tailgate. If you have a short to earth then it moght be where the wire bends at the hings of the tailgate?

You could take off the tailgate cover and check all connections in there, there are everal.

Strangely enough the worse thing for radio reception is when you fit LED bulbs.

Sor example I do like my LED reversing LED bulbs, but as soon as you put the car in reverse you lose most of teh strength of the reception.

Do you get any stations or have you lost them all?

In my case the worst reception is on the AM band (909 for example)

Steve B

I have no LED-bulbs, as I know.
But there is no reception, even if only got the radio on.

I am now pretty sure that is a break in the coax cable somewhere on the way.
I took a cable from the coax-plug on the head unit and directly to two of the antennas, and then I got perfect signal...

So I need to start searching where the break are located, and will start with the tailgate hinges.
Any other Places?

Found out that the only reason why I got a signal from a separate cable, was because when the shield/ground arent connected, it uses the hole cable as an antenna.
So i'm still stuck with non working antennas!

Anyone got a wiring diagram?

Back