A Towbar and our ERIBA Puck! a Short Story...

REO 5

Having been the owner 1.6 TSI and big fan of the A2, last autumn I decide to find the right 1.4 TDI, with a good spec, as we wanted to keep it for a long time, eventually found a one owner 53 1.4 TDI SE, with only 51,000 miles and a full service history, which we love.

The reason for the change was with the intention of it pulling our vintage Eriba Puck Caravan. I had already checked the towing capacities etc., and knew it wouldn’t be a problem, power to weight ratio's were all good, and know well how the A2 pulls like a train, also think it would like great combination, two German classics.

So about 6 weeks ago, with summer arriving it was time to prepare for some trips.

I checked out suppliers for an A2 towbar, only to find that people would supply them, but I couldn’t find anyone to fit them.
I called Hazzy Dayz, whom I had used to retrofit a cruise control to our earlier A2, they were advertising them on their website, but talking to them they confirmed they also wouldn’t fit, and have now removed this service from their website (great guys by the way). A final call to a German supplier told me they would supply, but it was illegal to fit them now (Steel to Aluminum, corrosion problems).

We don’t need or have the space to keep two cars, so have two choices keep the A2 or sell the Puck, and sadly it seems the A2 will have to go, unless any of you good people, know of a solution?

If not, then we plan to list the A2 on the A2 OC, in the hope that it can find a good home, since buying we’ve added another 3,000 miles taking it to 54,000 miles.

Any advice or suggestions welcome.

REO5 (aka John)

Surely a standard Audi A2 tow bar would have the same problems and they don't (or Audi wouldn't sell them?)

So if you can't track down a standard one (Very rare) then perhaps an aftermarket one can be made to fit?

As for Steel to aluminium, there are steel parts on an A2 as well, the way that is managed is to use bolts of the correct type and spacers that prevent the metal to aluminium corrosion?

So to me it is worth pusuing the Tow Bar options further? You will miss the A2 if you get rid of it !!!!!!!!

Steve B

@OP: What bunkum, claptrap and misinformation from retailers!

1. You can fit a towbar to any non 1.2 A2 as long as it has Climate. Yes, there is a massive difference in the fan in front of the radiator and without climate cooling cannot be ensured during towing sessions in warm weather.
2. The weights you can pull are listed here https://wiki.a2-freun.de/wiki/index.php/Anhängerkupplung and also in your V5. If there is a weight in there, then a towbar is fundamentally permitted. No weights generally means no approvals.
3. Steel to aluminium corrosion as a reason to not fit is complete claptrap. The original Al-ko beam is aluminium but all others are steel and the TÜV has no problem with this. It is not an issue.
4. Fitting is (apparently, I haven't done this myself yet) not too complex, but you will need to remove the rear bumper and both arch liners to do that (which also means both rear wheels). There are stories of GDW 'bars not being completely to spec, but they have all been fitted. You will need a specific cable set if you have check-control / DIS.

A 'bar should cost around €325-350 or so with another €50 going on cables. If you do ask someone to fit it for you, get a fixed price based on around 4-6 hours of work. It should take 3 if you understand what's going on, but 8 is over the top.

Which German supplier did you speak to, please?

- Bret

it starts with copyright, has a filling of liability and a topping of licensing.

I don't know under what specific licence the club has access to that content. So please do not copy. It's not as simple as "if you uploaded it, you allow the club to do what it wants with it".

- Bret

Back