Battery Charger

11sil03c

Hi,

I'm trying to charge up my dead battery in my A2, however, the battery jumpstarter I have does not have cables long enough to attach to part of the chassis.

In your experience, what is the best battery charger/jumpstarter to get my A2 running nicely again?

Thanks

Hi,

I'm trying to charge up my dead battery in my A2, however, the battery jumpstarter I have does not have cables long enough to attach to part of the chassis.

In your experience, what is the best battery charger/jumpstarter to get my A2 running nicely again?

Thanks

I use one of the many battery packs that are self contained. They aree small and compact packs that you charge and then use as a jump start battery so you don't need cables. That should start the car (especially useful in an emergency) then keep it in the boot and do several journeys and the battery should charge by doing that.

The problem with battery charges is that you really should disconnect your battery to charge it (or it can damage the alternator etc.) and if you do disconnect it you quite often have to set up lots of things like the fremote locking, radio stations etc. (depending on the car / radio used)

Steve B

I second the CTEK MXS 5.0 charger. Had it on my old M3 (that I hardly drove) and it always kept the battery in tip-top condition.

It can also "deep cycle" your battery if needed.

In my experience you can recharge a battery via a trickle charger, but if it's exhausted then it will let you down when the temperatures plunge. Get a Bosch S4 or S5 or similar battery with similar cold-crank Amp rating. Come with 4-5 warranty for peace of mind. Fit and forget. The Yuasa range of batteries are very good too, and come with 3-year warranty.

Last edited:
ALDI. There's nothing wrong with the £12.99 Automatic Charger from ALDI. They do the same job as Branded ones at 5 times the price, or more. They do 6 Volt, 12 Volt, Cold Batteries, Dead Batteries, Incorrect Polarity Protection. The problem is you can only get them when they have them in.

Talking about Batteries now, the VARTA one on my 2003 A2 1.4 SE Petrol is still the Original Battery from new, so approaching it's 13th Birthday next month ! Never been any problem with it. The A2 lives outside and always starts even in the coldest weather, like -18C

Back