I messed up replacing my boot lid trim. Now makes annoying rattle.

Hello all!

Just put my lovely new boot trim on (thanks A2Steve!!), and I'm guessing there was a clip or two still in place; that I managed to push into the interior of the boot lid... It now makes a very annoying metallic jangle every time I open and close it or even whilst driving.

Can anybody reccomend a way to get it out without removing the whole lid? i have been considering just getting the strongest magnet i can find and rolling it around inside the boot lid for a bit..

And what is the easiest way to get my boot trim off again without damaging it or any clips? (i guess i may have damaged one already if i used it to push an old one through the small slot :( )

Thanks alot!!

Last edited:
Hi Mate, ooops :). No harm done. To take it off, just gently pull around the edgesto release the clips. Once you've done one you will be able to see where the others are and only apply pressure there.

Once it is off you can get your hands down inside the bootlid to fish out whatever clips ahve dropped inside.

cheers for the quick reply! i already have the lid trim off now (pretty much did as you said, figured if it pushes on its gotta pull off hahaha).

hands in the holes are not going well though. lets just say im a very inflexible 6'6" bloke and can only fit half my hand inside :/ magnet might have to be the trick.

Last edited:
This is very useful if it is referring to the lower exterior trim. I've got to remove Alison's one as the number plate lamp screw has corroded and snapped off! :)

This is very useful if it is referring to the lower exterior trim. I've got to remove Alison's one as the number plate lamp screw has corroded and snapped off! :)

Unfortunately not Stuart. This is the opposite inside part to the one you are referring to. I have yet to successfully remove the bootlid outer trim panel without breaking it and that is from 3 cars. Would be interested myself to.know how to removed that.

Unfortunately not Stuart. This is the opposite inside part to the one you are referring to. I have yet to successfully remove the bootlid outer trim panel without breaking it and that is from 3 cars. Would be interested myself to.know how to removed that.

I found the outer trim quite simple to remove when I changed my number plate lights. The trick is to undo the 2 small screws from the inside of the tailgate, above the plate lights, and the outer trim then needs to be pushed down, toward the lower edge of the tailgate to release the 4 "pins" which plug into the rubber grommets in the boot lid. I carefully inserted an upholstery tool between the outer trim and the tailgate from the outside and levered the trim down towards the bottom of the tailgate. Worked great and didn't break anything.

Last edited:
I found the outer trim quite simple to remove when I changed my number plate lights. The trick is to undo the 2 small screws from the inside of the tailgate, above the plate lights and the out trim needs to be pushed down, toward the lower edge of the tailgate to release the 4 "pins" which plug into the rubber grommets in the boot lid. I carefully inserted an upholstery tool between the outer trim and the tailgate from the outside and levered the trim down towards the bottom of the tailgate. Worked great and didn't break anything.

Great, thank you. Have got one to practice on so will give it a go.

seems quite a few people are in here so may as well ask this instead of posting new thread - how would i go about finding the part numbers for my keys and CCCU? i did a google search for replacing keys in this forum and it gave me lots of info about the process but i couldnt find anything about how to find out which one i need to buy. mine works but it looks like it has been used as a dogs chew toy lol.

Your CCCU is located in the passenger foot well, the part number is on top of it. To get to it the carpet lifts up, try to get your fingers under it wear it runs across in front of the seat and lift up, the alloy cover then has 3 thumb screws you rotate to lift the lid off.

If you have VCDS you can scan module 46 to get part number.

The key also has the freq and part number on the back of the part that has the 3 buttons on when you remove it from the key blade.

If you get a new key you will need to sort immobiliser (need a virgin chip) and recode the CCCU to store the remote etc.

Some find the "easiest" option is to source from a breaker a new CCCU with key remotes to at least allow the doors to be opened but this can be costly and will still leave immobiliser issue!

Your CCCU is located in the passenger foot well, the part number is on top of it. To get to it the carpet lifts up, try to get your fingers under it wear it runs across in front of the seat

Well damn I just put my interior back toget her after hiding wires etc for ice install. Even had the passenger floor panel up :/ cheers!

Back