15 minute G263 sensor removal

At the request of a fellow forum member I have collated the below regarding the replacement of a faulty G263 sensor. Hopefully this will be of some help.

G263 sensor (stock photo)

G263.jpg

Note: when fitted it will be the other way up (so the angle is downwards) with the connector end on the right hand side i.e. thin end slotted into the dash from the driver side to passenger side.

Accessing sensor
In the drivers side footwell undo lower cover directly above the pedals - two torx screws undone, one connector unclipped, bonnet release mechanism freed and the footwell cover comes off
Footwell cover.jpg

Undo footwell air director - loosen one plastic torx screw and unclip footwell air director from housing
footwell air director.jpg

Unclip brake and clutch switches - locate brake switch, twist in metal bracket housing and release. Note the brake lights will now be lit, if you don’t want them lit for the duration of the job, then mask off the connector end to make the connection and extinguish the lights.

Reach up further, locate clutch switch, twist in metal bracket housing and release.
brake and clutch switches.jpg

If you now lie with your head by the clutch pedal you should be able to see a clear path to the sensor. Note you will not be able to see the sensor at this stage, all you have done is clear a path for your hand.

If you want to see the sensor, move your head towards the centre console and look up past the V70 motor that is on the inner side of the aluminium bracket by the clutch pedal. It's pretty non-descript but what you will be looking at is the end of the sensor and connected connector, that is on the left hand side of the G263 picture above (connector not pictured).

Sensor removal
I found it easiest to sit on the passenger seat and lie back at an angle with my face on the upper dash on the passenger side of the instrument binnacle. You will be flying blind. Closing your eyes and sticking your tongue out to aid concentration are optional!

Using your right hand, follow the path you have created and feel around for the clutch switch bracket to use as a reference point.

When the clutch switch bracket digs sharply into the back of your hand just above your wrist you should find immediately below your thumb will be a hole and through this you will be able to feel the G263 sensor end. Likewise, through a separate hole, underneath your index finger you will be able to grasp the sensor. Your thumb palm should now be completely around the aluminium cell.

The important bit is to realise that the sensor is held in by suction and therefore if you remove the connector before attempting to remove the sensor it's impossible - well it was for me anyhow. Attempting to release the sensor with the connector still on, means you can grasp the tab wings and carefully ease it out.

Be aware that the connector wires have a relatively limited amount of travel so ensure you're pulling is as straight a line as possible and don't pull further than you absolutely have to, once the sensor is released.

Connector removal from sensor
To remove the connector from the sensor, re-position so you are facing up in the footwell with your head fighting with the clutch pedal. With a bit of pre-planning, there is a clear path for your left arm through behind the pedal box and up to the end of the sensor. You have to get elbow deep and keep pushing until your left hand reaches the sensor. With you right hand following the path it did to remove the sensor in the first place, this means you can get both hands on it and remove the connector easily.

Refitting
Refit is simply a repeat of removal but in reverse, being careful to feel for the locating hole before pushing the sensor home. Again, halfway through refitting you need to re-position from the passenger seat to the drivers footwell to reconnect the connector and then returning to passenger seat you will be able to push the sensor home.

All-in-all it took me 15 minutes and is an easy DIY task requiring a little gymnastic ability :D

Last edited:
Also 6ft 3 with average sized hands (I unscientifically guess!). Toughest thing I found was ramming my left arm up behind the pedal box. Once I got past the elbow, I had visions of the fire brigade having to cut me out :D

This is exactly what I was looking for. I was even willing to pay a member to do this for me!

Once you adjust to having to 'see' with your hands, it's actually really straightforward.

Really glad it worked out as I shudder to think what a mess I would have made of the other much more involved methods people have followed in the past. :D

WOM did this for me thanks to these instructions as well as a G65 sensor that had failed.

The difference is night and day. No more condensation on rainy days either.

Bring on the summer!!!!

9cd4c4beabee65c1c6f35a362eec8a31.jpg
5f4263e45804f19f457590d2fb90737a.jpg

Got this far... and then the rain started! Oh what have I wrought?

Thanks to Rosiedog for the walk through on dismantling my beautiful car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

91874853bb2d474b2b871d7472a9a393.jpg

My hand the next day. I would suggest maybe taking a file to the corner of the mounting plate to smooth it or at least some tape over it before you start!

91874853bb2d474b2b871d7472a9a393.jpg

My hand the next day. I would suggest maybe taking a file to the corner of the mounting plate to smooth it or at least some tape over it before you start!

Ouch ouch ouch

Sent from my VFD 600 using Tapatalk

Just tried this method. Epic fail!

Could feel the end but couldn't get my hand up far enough to grip :(

Last edited:
Just tried this method. Epic fail!

Could feel the end but couldn't get my hand up far enough to grip :(

Hi Cheechy,

I couldn't grip either - it was all fingertips.

Getting it out was okay because I could use the wires to give a little pressure to break the seal and get it moving - getting the new one back in was the pain.

I used sideways pressure between my fingertips at full extension to nudge it into position after dropping it five or six times. Once in position I had to pull it back out all the way a couple of times because I couldn't get enough pressure on it to turn it into the right alignment where it needed to go. I kind of aligned it and then rushed it all in one go in the end and got lucky. No way to really fiddle with it once it was nearly in place.

Not an epic fail - just an extended process I think!

Ps it may be helpful to wrap a cable tie or something around the plug that you could grip a little lower down to use as a guide and get your other hand into the action. Maybe...

Oh, and don't forget the distraction of the metal corner eating in to your hand the whole time... that was a real disincentive to keep trying. And it was raining...

I have possibly been called a tad stubborn before...

Right I'm now at the point where I'd ask a member to help here (I'm willing to pay of course) in replacing this sensor as well as the nightmare which is the temp control flap.

I have both parts and am willing to learn but at this point in time i'd just like the darned things done as I'm fed up of repairing stuff on this car for a bit.

I'm willing to travel and fit in with others plans etc

Btw I've tried local mechanics and most I wouldn't trust with this kind of stuff.

The plug you are trying to remove from the G263 sensor is the same as the one on the brake and clutch switches you remove to get to it. It may help to remove the brake switch and plug and have a wee feel at the plug and how the clips work. The two sides need to be pushed in to release the plug and you then need to pull it off the sensor. It helps me to know what's going on when doing something by touch.

The tdi90 appears to have been revised. The metal plate has a rounded corner and is painted so is a lot less painful. Still sore though...

So hats off to timmus he achieved the impossible and managed a 30 minute g263 sensor replacement where others had failed!

Thank your sir and I hope all is now well with the girl friend :)

What can this man not do with an Audi a2?

So hats off to timmus he achieved the impossible and managed a 30 minute g263 sensor replacement where others had failed!

Thank your sir and I hope all is now well with the girl friend :)

What can this man not do with an Audi a2?

How in the hell?!? I have mentioned before that Timmus' must have hand strength normally found only in power tools!

My hands were in tatters after my attempt - bruising is still to fade and blisters still there!

Please post your secrets Tom! Technique or plier-fingers?

Ps. Well done Cheechy - glad you got it sorted

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back