Drivers side Window regulator - replacement needed? [with pics]

Hi there, first job on my A2 - fix the driver's side window. Had a browse through the existing threads, couldn't find anything identical so here it is. Switch and motor seem fine, just the dreaded crunching noise. Stripped the door down to see if there was anything obvious, looks like the twisted regulator cable causing the issue:

IMG_3480.jpgIMG_3487b.jpgIMG_3483b.jpg

Can this be repaired/reqound or is it better to start with a new regulator mechanism? And if so, any recommendations for source of replacements? Cheers, Andy

Hi Andy

It's actually easier to replace the whole door frame as a whole. It's only 4 bolts holding it together. 3 visible once the metal door casing is removed and one visible once the door seal is taken off. Sounds much more complicated than it is. I would imagine changing just the regulator would be a pain in the jacksy.

I have one here for £25 plus postage if needed.

Last edited:
Hi Andy

It's actually easier to replace the whole door frame as a whole. It's only 4 bolts holding it together. 3 visible once the metal door casing is removed and one visible once the door seal is taken off. Sounds much more complicated than it is. I would imagine changing just the regulator would be a pain in the jacksy.

I have one here for £25 plus postage if needed.
Thanks Steve, might take you up on that. Got a one that's being broken near to me to check out for a few bits this week. Will be in touch once I've seen what I still need.

You can get a kit with new cable and plastic pulleys etc. I changed one on my allroad a couple of weeks back took about 45 minutes a pig of job and from what I have read most people give up.

Next time I will replace the whole mech will only take about 15 minutes and no stress

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You can get a kit with new cable and plastic pulleys etc. I changed one on my allroad a couple of weeks back took about 45 minutes a pig of job and from what I have read most people give up.

Next time I will replace the whole mech will only take about 15 minutes and no stress
Thanks, think I'll give that method a miss!!

Hi Andy,

Having removed the complete window frame, I'd agree that Steve's idea of just swapping the frame would be best. Good price at £25 too! :)

Thanks,

Matt.

Hi Andy,

Having removed the complete window frame, I'd agree that Steve's idea of just swapping the frame would be best. Good price at £25 too! :)

Thanks,

Matt.

I'm all for an easy life, ha ha! Hopefully got Steve's on the way shortly - could do with an opening window in this rare warm weather spell. :p

Replacement arrived today, bolted in between rain showers. Thanks Steve for going out of your way to get it to me before the weekend! The glass was a very pleasant surprise, meant less time in the rain swapping mine over. :)

Last Q - is it worth greasing/lubing any of the mech before refitting the door panel? Hopefully avoid a repeat of whatever happened to the original.

Cheers, Andy

Replacement arrived today, bolted in between rain showers. Thanks Steve for going out of your way to get it to me before the weekend! The glass was a very pleasant surprise, meant less time in the rain swapping mine over. :)

Last Q - is it worth greasing/lubing any of the mech before refitting the door panel? Hopefully avoid a repeat of whatever happened to the original.

Cheers, Andy

Glad I could help Andy. Was definitely the easier route :)

Glad I could help Andy. Was definitely the easier route :)

Without a doubt - once I got the old one out it was pretty clear how much of a pain replacing or repairing the mechanism would've been! Put a bit of grease on the runners, as well as the bits of the mech that had already had some (but dried up) maybe overkill but wont do any harm I guess... Door back together again, cleaned everything up and it all works a treat! Thanks again.

I have to urgently tackle this issue. The cable has snapped. From what I understand, repairing the existing regulator is not really possible so it either needs to be replaced or the whole frame can be replaced. The cost of a new regulator does seems to be a similar price to a second had frame. Is it much more complicated to replace the regulator once the frame is off?

I have to urgently tackle this issue. The cable has snapped. From what I understand, repairing the existing regulator is not really possible so it either needs to be replaced or the whole frame can be replaced. The cost of a new regulator does seems to be a similar price to a second had frame. Is it much more complicated to replace the regulator once the frame is off?
Far easier to just change the frame as a complete unit. I've got a good stock of them for £25 plus £9.40 postage.

Steve I think the postage will be far more as Ifield is in SWITZERLAND, assuming still able to send there.

Some concluding remarks having just tackled the job.
  1. As the window regulator is mounted on the far side of the frame, it has to be removed in any case.
  2. The pulley wheels are riveted, so replacing the regulator is more involved than just undoing a couple of bolts.
  3. The price of a used frame with regulator attached was equivalent to a new regulator.
I think replacing the frame was the correct recommendation. Thanks to all.

After searching, I bought this. How do I fit it? The cabling is different, the original runners seem to be welded and the window attachment looks different. It seems to be the wrong part but all the parts listed seem to be similar. Has anyone done this and which part did you use?

With some fettling, it seems possible to replace only the cable without needing to replace the brackets. However, I've observed that the plastic slider (refer to the picture below) is broken. Does anyone happen to know the part number for it?"
IMG_20231207_121043_560.jpg

Back