Couple of questions on exhaust mods.

Haven't got access to a jack at the mo, think dad might have lent it to someone haha. I like my cars to sound nice and I'm considering getting a mechanic friend to delete my centre resonator and install a "universal" back box, as I only bought my car for 650 quid I refuse to spend a few hundred on a full custom system, and I wouldn't have the budget for it if I wanted to haha.

Does the 1.4 petrol give a decent sound with a deleted resonator etc? And how much trouble would I likely encounter fitting a universal rear silencer? I would just pop my head under and take a look but these cars are quite low as standard, and ill be damned if my jack hasn't just straight up disappeared.

Not going to be anything too ridiculous or chavvy don't worry :p

The 4 Cylinder petrol engines do have a nice note to them.

I was recently in The Netherlands and met up with Pocoloco and saw his fantastic FSI A2.

He has fitted a silencer box bypass (bypasses the rear silencer altogether!) (remotely operated). This is louder than your planned mod, but it does mean that you can hear the full exahaust sound when it has been bypassed and it sounds great. The 1.4 is a slightly different engine but the exahaust note wil be just as nice.

Good luck, it should sound fine!

Steve B

Excellent thank you :) that sounds great I wish I could hear it!

So there's nothing major in the way of a "universal" rear silencer install except maybe some careful bumper cutting? I'm thinking just a smallish oval tip. Bit more dub than the slashcut round etc haha. Most of those are rather jap looking.

This image should save you sticking you're head under

2je2zck.jpg

So looking at that, I'm going to get out there with a grinder and some flex pipe and bypass my silencer tomorrow morning if I can get my jack hahaha. Fit my new one whenever order it, maybe won't need to. Will let you know how it sounds hahaha! if its good ill be happy to keep the OEM look.

also cant see a centre silencer unless the cat is hiding further up...

Edit: grinder hmmmm... Where is the petrol tank?

Last edited:
First time I have seen a fuel filter cover/guard on an early TDI and in perfect condition, I want won as my first mode!

Hmm so the way its all designed and attached means bypassing it wouldn't work very well at all :/ and the hanging points would be a nightmare to use a "universal" one so I'm stumped as to a cheap (sensible) solution.

Edit: the sensible brackets were me denying myself the silly idea of mounting a universal back box where the silencer is located. Hahaha

The 4 Cylinder petrol engines do have a nice note to them.

I was recently in The Netherlands and met up with Pocoloco and saw his fantastic FSI A2.

He has fitted a silencer box bypass (bypasses the rear silencer altogether!) (remotely operated). This is louder than your planned mod, but it does mean that you can hear the full exahaust sound when it has been bypassed and it sounds great. The 1.4 is a slightly different engine but the exahaust note wil be just as nice.

The FSI has indeed a nice note (>3000 rpm)
But the 1.4 petrol I had before was really silent (that's a quality in fact)

The FSI has indeed a nice note (>3000 rpm)
But the 1.4 petrol I had before was really silent (that's a quality in fact)

I had my silencer off today preparing for a new one, thought I'd give it a cheeky start up, the 1.4 definitely has a nice engine note also :p much nicer with an actual exhaust though I bet :p

I think I'm going to be able to mount a new one using 2 of the original hangers if I slide one right up as far as I can, and cut/shape the pipe that enters into the stock silencer to help me route and support it.

Tempted to go and drive it with no silencer lol but pretty sure that's not "roadworthy" .

Back