Help identifying damaged pipe in engine bay - 2000 1.4 petrol

Mophim

Hello

Whilst doing some work on a newly purchased A2 I've seen a pipe in the engine bay that looks broken or missing something.
Can anyone identify what it is or does and maybe how it should be?

It's the yellow part in the photo. Looking from the front of the engine bay, it's just behind the cam belt cover
Thanks if you can.

broken_pipe1.jpg

broken_pipe2.jpg

no, that's not the dipstick. The only thing around there is normally the breather pipes back from the crankcase / oil seperator coming back up to the active charcoal filter.

- Bret

Thanks for the replies.
No, not the dipstick as that is accessed via the front grill / flap.

The broken part is the top plastic piece. It's attached to a thin metal tube which disappears down the back of the engine block so it is probably a breather pipe.
I've managed to get the plastic bit off & it has a partial part number but I can't find any reference to what I have:
086 115 647

Best bet (now i have it removed) is a trip to Audi parts department, I guess.

Hi,

you should have a plastic capping piece at the end of the metal tube which looks like this:

DSC03398.jpg

I believe the metal tube is where the dipstick would be fitted in other models in which it is accessed via the engine bay rather than the front service flap.
With the pipe open, extra air will be getting into the engine so it will be running lean so its a good idea to cap it off properly.

regards

Andrew

Thanks for all the replies.
Yes, Spike. My mistake. Part number was 036 115 647. The numbers are very small & close together.
Very odd that it's a second dipstick tube?
I went to Audi parts yesterday. What a goose chase that was. They unfortunately don't seem to have a very good knowledge of their cars (I needed a couple of other bits too & all lead to nothing : (

Anyway, I've ordered the part 036 115 647 but looking at Andrew's photo, I think that 'T' shape cap is another part that fits on top of 036 115 647. Does it have a part number Andrew? I'd be really grateful if it does as Audi don't seem to show it on any of their diagrams.

Thanks for all the replies.
Yes, Spike. My mistake. Part number was 036 115 647. The numbers are very small & close together.
Very odd that it's a second dipstick tube?
I went to Audi parts yesterday. What a goose chase that was. They unfortunately don't seem to have a very good knowledge of their cars (I needed a couple of other bits too & all lead to nothing : (

Anyway, I've ordered the part 036 115 647 but looking at Andrew's photo, I think that 'T' shape cap is another part that fits on top of 036 115 647. Does it have a part number Andrew? I'd be really grateful if it does as Audi don't seem to show it on any of their diagrams.

Hi,

the "T" shape cap doesn't have any identifying marks that I can see I'm afraid. The diagram shown in the parts catalog is the wrong one as its from the "normal" engine fitting without the service flap accessible dip stick (e.g. VW Polo). Because the diagram shows the dipstick, the part that fits into the plastic ring on the tube links to the actual A2 dipstick diagram and doesn't list the cap part.

Hopefully the 036 115 647 will be complete with cap, otherwise it would be difficult to identify the part number (or even order it).

One option if you can't find the correct piece would be to fit a second dip stick!

e.g.
Dip stick guide ring 030 115 636 A
Sealing "O" ring 030 115 444
Dip stick 030 115 611 R

regards

Andrew

The parts list is A2 specific but there are two illustrations for the dipstick the other (main) one shows the service flap version - http://vagpart.com/audi/audi-a2-a2-eu-2002-11545-oil-container-oil-dipstick/

Best guess is Audi just left the 'Polo' type dipstick tube in the block so it's standard for several installations then found a way to blank it off. Hopefully the part being ordered includes the T piece but if not, as suggested, anything to blank the tube off is all that's needed

Cheers Spike

Thanks for the replies.
I'll see what 036 115 647 is when it comes in. It was only 80p so think it's just the collar.
Annoying thing is that I bought a new dipstick for our other A2 a couple of years ago. The old one would have fixed this, as Andrew suggests (thanks for the additional info too ) but I think I binned it.
Ah well. I'll bung it up with something : )

Thanks again

Thanks for the replies.
I'll see what 036 115 647 is when it comes in. It was only 80p so think it's just the collar.
Thanks again

Did you ever get this part ? I'm interested to know what the outcome was.

Cheers Spike

Hello. Unfortunately not. The guy at Audi parts said he'd order it in and ring me. He never did. I capped the mysterious pipe off with a car tyre dust cap. I need a couple of other parts from Audi though, so will quiz him when I go again. I'll let you know if I do get it.

Thanks for the update.

All that matters is the pipe being blocked off - although it's always nice to maintain the 'factory look'

Cheers Spike

Back