Key Fob

Reddish

Hi, bought my first A2 today, an 01 in Dolphin Grey. The previous owner lost the key fob in a boating accident and hence just had the spare second key without the central locking. I spoke to Audi Stockport today and they suggested I needed two fobs to now get the central locking to work at a cost of £330. Does anyone know of a workaround? Thanks for your help,

Hi Reddish,

Welcome to the forum. :)

If I've understood correctly, you have a key that is just the top half and doesn't have the three buttons for the central locking?

If so, then you'll be needing a replacement remote half of the key, of which there are two options for the A2 dependant on the CCCU fitted. To check which CCCU is fitted, lift the passenger footwell carpet and the Aluminium plate beneath it and look at the top black box. The part number will be stamped on the top.

If your CCCU is 8Z0 959 433 Q, then you require the remote half of the key with the part number 8Z0 837 231. Note there is no letter after.
If your CCCU is 8Z0 959 433 AF, then you require the remote half of the key with the part number 8Z0 837 231 D. Note the 'D' is important.

The remote half can then be programmed to the car using VCDS, which many people on here own or have access to. It is not essential to have two keys paired to the CCCU as Stockport Audi suggest, as far as I am aware.

Regards,

Matt. :)

Hi Ian,

Yep, a second hand remote half will be fine as it's then paired with VCDS to your CCCU. Your '01 car will most likely have a Q CCCU, but please check for definite. Don't be tempted to buy one with an 'A' at the end for example, only exact matches with either no letter or the 'D' will work, dependant on CCCU.

Let us know how you get on. :)

Regards,

Matt.

Hi Reddish,

Welcome to the forum. :)

If I've understood correctly, you have a key that is just the top half and doesn't have the three buttons for the central locking?

If so, then you'll be needing a replacement remote half of the key, of which there are two options for the A2 dependant on the CCCU fitted. To check which CCCU is fitted, lift the passenger footwell carpet and the Aluminium plate beneath it and look at the top black box. The part number will be stamped on the top.

If your CCCU is 8Z0 959 433 Q, then you require the remote half of the key with the part number 8Z0 837 231. Note there is no letter after.
If your CCCU is 8Z0 959 433 AF, then you require the remote half of the key with the part number 8Z0 837 231 D. Note the 'D' is important.

The remote half can then be programmed to the car using VCDS, which many people on here own or have access to. It is not essential to have two keys paired to the CCCU as Stockport Audi suggest, as far as I am aware.

Regards,

Matt. :)

Hi,

I had a read of this thread a few days ago, and finally got around to checking my CCCU number today. Mostly because I have an issue with the key fob not working.

Any ways, my CCCU seems to have the part number 8Z0 959 433 E (perhaps as it is an older A2, or maybe the CCCU was swapped out at some point) and I was wondering if you are able to identify the correct part number for the key fob for this unit?

Many thanks,

MD

Thanks to Matt for the fantastic clarification.

Mike, you're buying your key from me via eBay already:D, small world is this! OP, I have another if you are still in need of the same key, and I'm not a million miles away.

All the best. John

Hi All, I still haven't got around to checking my CCCU - mixture of late nights and laziness! I just wanted to check - a neighbour has an old A2 he's breaking which has the CCCU and key fob. If I replaced the CCCU out would this solve the problem? Or is there an issue with the immobiliser? I currently have an key which is in a standard mould not a key fob. If I purchased the bottom button fob piece can I actually remove the key from the mould or would I have to buy a complete fob and get it re-cut? Apologies for all the questions - I'm still really new to this!

Ian

Hi John,

Thanks for the offer. I've posted another question for Matt's expertise - depending on what I need do you have both parts of the fob? Do you also have VCDS? I'm based in Stockport so was hoping to not have to go too far if possible!

Many thanks,

Ian

Hi All, I currently have an key which is in a standard mould not a key fob. If I purchased the bottom button fob piece can I actually remove the key from the mould or would I have to buy a complete fob and get it re-cut? Apologies for all the questions - I'm still really new to this!

Ian

Hey Ian, it sounds like you will need to get the whole fob & a new key cut
Am sure matt will be along shortly to clarify the rest

p.s what colour is the neighbours car he's breaking lol

You can swap the CCCU and use the "key half" from your key with the remote half of the replacement key.

The immobiliser chip is in the "key half" (i.e. the half with the metal key in it) and so your key half will work with your car (the CCCU does not control the immobiliser function at all) So it will not cause a problem.

To recap

Swap the CCCU over
Swap YOUR key half on to the "new" remote half.

That should start the car fine with no immobiliser issues.

What you might find is that the remote operation does not work after the swap, but that is easily fixed.

Just pop the key with your "key half" and the "new" remote half, into the ignition and turn it on. Then press the unlock button on that key and remove it and try it, all should be fine.

Steve B

Hi All, I still haven't got around to checking my CCCU - mixture of late nights and laziness! I just wanted to check - a neighbour has an old A2 he's breaking which has the CCCU and key fob. If I replaced the CCCU out would this solve the problem? Or is there an issue with the immobiliser? I currently have an key which is in a standard mould not a key fob. If I purchased the bottom button fob piece can I actually remove the key from the mould or would I have to buy a complete fob and get it re-cut? Apologies for all the questions - I'm still really new to this!

Ian

Hi Ian,

If you replaced the CCCU and remote half of the key fob, then there is no issue - the remote central locking would work and the immo would still work as you would be using the top half of your existing key. To clarify, the immobiliser and remote central locking are two entirely separate systems.

I would recommend getting another remote key half and getting someone with VCDS to pair it to your CCCU as the cheapest and most preferred option. Alternatively, if you'd prefer to get your neighbours CCCU, then plug it in and swap the remote key halves to your keys - just be mindful of needing VCDS to change the unit's coding if you're swapping from a car with rear electric windows to manual rear windows or vice versa. If the windows are the same, then all should work without a hitch. :)

Regards,

Matt.

Last edited:
I currently have an key which is in a standard mould not a key fob. If I purchased the bottom button fob piece can I actually remove the key from the mould or would I have to buy a complete fob and get it re-cut?

HI Ian,

I'm confused by what you mean by a standard mould - would you mind posting a photograph for clarification please?

Thanks,

Matt. :p

Hi all, thanks for the replies - all really helpful. I'm going to check the model of my neighbours car and if all goes well swap the CCCU over. However I still think I have a problem with maybe having to have a key cut. Matt - how do I post pictures using my mobile - when I reply there doesn't seem to be any option?

Thanks,

Ian

Hi all, thanks for the replies - all really helpful. I'm going to check the model of my neighbours car and if all goes well swap the CCCU over. However I still think I have a problem with maybe having to have a key cut. Matt - how do I post pictures using my mobile - when I reply there doesn't seem to be any option?

Thanks,

Ian

You can use your existing haklf of the fob that contains thge key, you do not need a key cut if you use your existing key half with the replacement remote halves of the key fob you are getting with the CCCU?

When you get the replkacement key with the replacement CCCU just split it at the joint, do the same with yours and swap the halves over that have the biuttons on.

That should work fine.

No key cutting reequired.

Steve B

All Audi keys are splitable. So you must have a one-off "aftermarket" one somehow.

Can you post a close up picture please do we can see what you have.
A key has to be splitable or how can you change the battery?

cheers
Steve B

Thanks Steve,

The previous owner told me he lost the original key fob - so I assumed what I have was a second key. It's just a key in a plastic mould - no fob, so no battery required. I have to open the car manually every time and turn the ignition to turn off the alarm.

I would post a picture but I only have access to a mobile and it doesn't appear to have the same options to upload a picture. Any advice?

Thanks,

Ian

Back