Swapped door - now electric window and central locking don't work!

A2blue

Hello,

I've searched everywhere on the forum without success.

I have a lovely tdi but sadly it had dents on both passenger side doors. I sourced replacement doors in the right colour and fitted them today.

Now the electric window on the front door doesn't work and neither doors lock with the central locking.

Anyone suggest what I've done wrong? And is there an easy solution?

I don't have the VW/Audi diagnostic software.

Hi,

Have you tried disconnecting the battery for 10 mins and the trying it?

The CCCU might "reset" to the new dorrs then, as long as you have chcked the door wiring connector?

Steve B

Thanks, yes, tried that and didn't make any difference.

I make sure the electrical connectors clipped in properly so I can't understand it. I have both cars here. All worked fine before the switch and now both cars have the same problem - the electric window doesn't work and the central locking doesn't work.

It must be something to do with the cpu not recognising the unit but I didn't realise it would happen. I suppose I'll have to strip the doors and swap the electrical components?

Thanks, yes, tried that and didn't make any difference.

I make sure the electrical connectors clipped in properly so I can't understand it. I have both cars here. All worked fine before the switch and now both cars have the same problem - the electric window doesn't work and the central locking doesn't work.

It must be something to do with the cpu not recognising the unit but I didn't realise it would happen. I suppose I'll have to strip the doors and swap the electrical components?

Have you thought of swapping the motor unit to see if the other one works (assuming you have two now?)

Steve B

No it doesn't lock at all, what ever I do.

Ok, is this the solution - the donor car is petro, my car is tdi.

Don't tell me the door wiring is different, I never thought to check that!

Did you get the window motor you are using with the replacement door? If so have you tried swapping it for the old motor?

I have always assumed that there was no difference in the doors between TDI and Petrol, but that is am assumption, I can't imagine any reason for them to be different?

Have you checlked the fuse? It might have blown in the swap over? Fuse Locations

Steve B

Another thought on this---are the new doors from the same age car? as I'm sure door modules are different or wired different, BUT i may be way off. good luck mike

Another thought on this---are the new doors from the same age car? as I'm sure door modules are different or wired different, BUT i may be way off. good luck mike

Might be a possibility (Can and all that!)

It might be possible to swap the intire electrical innards from your original door into the replacement door surely?
Loom and motor?

That sounds messay but should resolve the issue (By the way does the mirror adjustment work even?)

Steve B

Thanks for that.

I'll go out and have another go!

I'll take off the wiring first and look to see whether they're the same.

I never thought to check the mirrrors and also speakers.

So I may need to swap electrics back if it's not fuses.

I'll post again later.

Ok just a quickie: fuses ok 41 that is. Mirrors don't work, and interior lights on all the time, so I had to switch them off. This leads me to think that the looms are different.

Next task is to take out the wiring plugs and check if they're the same. Donor is 53 reg, tdi is 02 reg.

My knees aren't up to it though and I've started on the wine now, so I'll look again tomorrow.

I had a similar problem on my Allroad last year and all I had done was to change the rear interior light PCB.

The car wouldn't start, the dis was on all the time and so were the instrument lights.

The solution was as follows.

Disconnect the battery and hold the live and earth cable connectors firmly together for about 15 seconds.

Reconnect the cables to the battery and switch on the ignition.

The instruments then went through a reset procedure but had settled by the time the glow plug light had gone out and the car started normally.

This procedure was one of a number of solutions recommended on the vcds website.

I can't see that it can do any harm, but you might want to do some research first.

G.

Hi Gary,

I am liking the tip of holding the disconnected earth and positive leads together. That should discharge any residual current (not sure if there are any diodes that would prevent that from working?) but a great tip and even though the OP did disconnect the battery and retry without success, there could have been enough power left in the system to prevent it from doing a full reset.

I am very happy to see lots of people posting help like this. It really is one of the things that make this forum great.

Thanks Gary and the many other helpful members we are lucky to have.

Sorry if if that sounds patronising but it was not meant to be

Steve B

Hi folks,

The door connectors are the same on 02- and 53-reg cars, but the pin arrangement is different. As such, the CAN signal that controls the locks, windows, mirrors, etc isn't getting through to the door. The door wiring looms are identical; it's just the pin arrangement at the connector that's different. Terminal extraction tools are required in order to alter the pin arrangement.

A2Blue, does your car have manual or electric rear windows?

Cheers,

Tom

Thanks for all these suggestions from all of you and now from Timmus.

I was just about to go and have another look now the rain has dried up and I'm glad I looked here again before going outside!

My rear windows are manual but even so the central locking isn't working on the rear doors.

What a nuisance to hear that the loom is the same but that they altered the positions of the wires in the connector! I have never had much success with taking these apart; hands too big and now eyesight failing! Pardon? - yes, that's failing as well!

What I've done on other cars is to cut and reconnect the wires further along but it does make it difficult to sort out if there are further problems as the colours are wrong!

Perhaps the sensible solution is to remove the door linings, remove the door looms, and swap them over. Hopefully then just plug and play!

I'll post again later after another foray!

Ok I have now taken all four multi plugs off and carefully noted which colours go where. As stated already, my 02 tdi plugs are different from my 53 petrol donor car's plugs. Front and rear doors use the same multi plug.

This plug has a pink 'keeper' to separate the pins 3 to 10 and 13 to 20 which you can pull out and despite trying for a while I have not been able to discover the trick of releasing the pins. I've tried all manner of tools and bits from the garage but haven't hit on the right one.

I see that on eBay you can buy special tools for this job with multiple shapes arranged in a circle round a plastic centre. Can anyone recommend a particular shape which they have used on this multi plug?

It still doesn't look straightforward though even if I had the correct tool - on each front door multi plug there are two wires which are the same colour!

The plug has pins numbered from 1 to 20 in two lines of 10. The top 4 are a larger size (1,2,11,12) of which only 2 and 12 are used on the rear door on mine, so as it has a manual winder, I imagine the spares 1 and 10 are for power to the Windows.

On the 02 tdi front door there are 4 thick wires to pins 1,2 11, and 12, and then 5 small wires connected to pins 3,4,5,6,and 7. On the rear door There are 2 thick wires to pins 2 and 12, and then 7 small wires to various pins.

All I need to do is to perfect a removal technique and then swap them all over! Easy!

Problem Solved!

Well I finally bit the bullet this morning and started to swap the looms.

I have just completed swapping four looms and all now works properly again on both cars.

Simple job but very fiddly and I have only one bit left over which I realise is a washer that goes on the manual window winder shaft from the rear door!

Nice to have a successful outcome though!

Back