FSI battery recommendations

Darren C

Admin Team
Afternoon folks,

I went out today to turn the engine over and open the roof (weekly activity when the car is not in regular use) and came out to find a dead battery. The alarm had disabled itself and the central locking was out of action; though there was enough power to light the dash initially, but not turn the engine over.

I have since clambered into the back of the car and released the boot to charge the battery; this is currently undergoing as I type.

I have no idea of the age of the battery, but there is no positive indication in the in built condition indicator window. As I haven't left anything on to draw and drain power, I assume it is time to opt for a new replacement - especially with winter drawing close and a good chance the A2 will stand for the most part.

As I have not purchased a car battery for an exceptionally long time, I wonder if anyone has a) recommendations on brand and b) where to purchase from. Halfords appear to have a very limited selection - their own brand and one other I haven't heard of. Currently fitted is a Varta 80 Ah.

Many thanks in anticipation.

Darren

Last edited:
yep same as dave ---we got the someone for yvonnes earlier this year. All good now, but i guess after 170k miles it was due, in your case its probably the time issue rather than miles :)

Last week I fitted a Varta 110 F18 silver dynamic to replace the 14 year old original Varta. I bought it from Tayna, it was delivered next day and very well packaged. The battery had 2 vent plugs, one of which I removed as the A2 had a corrugated pipe for venting the battery. I had to take out the 3 Torq screws that held the rear plastic cover on the inside of the boot. Having removed that, the foam lifted straight out and I could access the nuts that held the battery holder. The Varta 110 F18 silver dynamic fitted exactly into my 2002 A2 1.4 petrol.

Back