GearBox Oil Level check

CD17

A2OC Donor
Since I had the clutch changed on my A2 last year I've noticed it is quite hard to get into gear in the winter until it warms up, so I'm wondering if the level of the GearBox Oil is low. I got 1 Litre or VW/Audi GearBox Oil today, but need to know where the filler plug is & what's the best way to fill it, a hose & funnel etc.

I nearly sold my A2 earlier this year because of getting a company van & a T5 I don't really use it, but I kept it & am now glad as I should be starting a new job in a few weeks which doesn't come with a company car, mines covered 165K now & 100K by me, so I'm not going to get rid, it's far to much of a good car, I've never kept a car this long before.

That is ulikely to be oil level, check the cable adjustment as shown in the utube videos (links in the "How To" "Index") section first.

The temperature affects them too because the cables expand and contract in the heat/cold.

So they might be slightly out.

Also, if it is just when engaging first, this can be caused by startng the car with the clutch depressed, this does not therefore spin the gears. So while in neutral just release the cutch and then re-engage it and select 1stgently, while the gears are still turning..

Many people who have problem engaging 1st gear when the car has just been started can resolve it like this.

Steve B

Last edited:
Thanks Steve, I do always start cars with the clutch depressed.

From what you're saying I'm guessing it could be the cable wasn't adjusted properly when I had the clutch changed, I'll check out the how to :)

Still worth checking the gearbox oil level, I did so after a clutch change and got nearly a litre in it. You need a 17mm allen key to remove the fill/level plug. If you are thinking of draining the oil and replacing it then PLEASE ensure that the fill/level plug will undo before you remove the drain plug. Both plugs are tapper threads to nip up tight as the threads effectively inter-fear with each other. As such and not help by the dis similar metals (Aluminium / Steel) the two can corrode and lock together, I have found that tightening slightly before you undo helps a lot, as does a light tap on the end of the plug with an hammer.
To get the oil in the gearbox I used a 1/2 litre bottle with a plastic pipe attached (you get the gearbox oil in them from some car accessories shops)

Cheers,
Paul (Depronman)

The third (more painful) alternative is that the seal has warn on the gear selector column, and is letting water into the gearbox. This results in the bearings rusting, and the gears starting to drift all over the place. Try the other two things first unless there is visible rust on the seal.

Back