On the edge of giving up

Verbdog

A2OC Donor
Working on the A2 today in another effort of getting it through the MOT, damn emissions again.

2 other faults popped up for Potentiometer and brake switch again. In getting to the Throttle body I broke a bit off the the scuttle tray and that made me start to tot up all the things needed:

Paint badly peeling
Windscreen cracked
At least one O2 sensor
Brake light switch
Noticed oil around the inner driveshaft joint
Scuttle tray
Engine getting more noisy
And a significant knock underneath

Is it worth the battle or should I give up and convince the wife to get another A2...

Hi Verbdog

Hang in there, surely someone in this Forum with knowledge of your car model and engine may be able to offer positive info and maybe assistance in some way and point you in the right direction. Good Luck.

Hi Verbdog,

Ultimately, I think it comes down to the cost of repair, compared to the cost of a replacement car whilst factoring in how sentimental the car is to you. :p

Paint badly peeling
Windscreen cracked
At least one O2 sensor
Brake light switch
Noticed oil around the inner driveshaft joint
Scuttle tray
Engine getting more noisy
And a significant knock underneath

Paint - The place I use for paint charges around £100 per average panel for all imperfections to be removed and painted. Budget £100 average per panel needed.

Windscreen cracked - Budget around £250 if you're paying for it or budget your insurance excess for a windscreen. It usually doesn't affect your NCB, but please check.

O2 sensor - Hopefully someone will chime in with sensor prices, but please check for air leaks on the intake system first. It may end up being a minimal cost fix.

Brake light switch - Euro Car Parts currently have a switch for sale at £7.59. There's a 'how to' for changing it here.

Inner driveshaft oil - If the leak is minimal from the driveshaft flange seal, then don't worry about it - the seal ages and stops being as effective. If it is a major leak then seek garage advice.

Scuttle tray - If you're talking about the plastic below the windscreen, then they go brittle with age. People breaking a car on here may have one in good condition, and likely for a good price.

Suspension knock - Check drop links, top mounts and ARB bushes as likely culprits. Budget £30 per side for top mounts - drop links and ARB bushes are cheaper.

Regards,

Matt.

good reply matt,

as for the paint question.... when getting a panel done properly do they get a good match to the original paintwork as i need to get a door and the main bodyshell done at passenger side. its obviously cheaper if i can get the door and panels done as im not sure what the average cost of a full respray is :/

cammy

as for the paint question.... when getting a panel done properly do they get a good match to the original paintwork as i need to get a door and the main bodyshell done at passenger side. its obviously cheaper if i can get the door and panels done as im not sure what the average cost of a full respray is :/

Hi Cammy,

The work I've had done and work on other family cars has always been perfect. Though as all our cars are brilliant black, I'm not sure how easy any difference is to tell compared to the difference on other colour cars - all comes down to how well the paint is colour matched and then applied I guess?

I personally wouldn't go to the expense of a full respray, just find somewhere reputable and trusted, and ask to see some of their work. :)

Regards,

Matt.

you know what they say, your better off with the devil you know than the devil you dont and you could up buying a bigger can of worms,

Paint badly peeling -

Windscreen cracked - i purchased a genuine screen and had fitted for under £250, non genuine fitted prices about £150

At least one O2 sensor

Brake light switch

Noticed oil around the inner driveshaft joint - 1-2 hour job depending on side as you only undo driveshaft to stub torx bolts around outer edge , drop driveshaft down out of the way and behind that in the middle theres one allen key holding the stub shaft into the gearbox and seal 5 minutes to swap. longest part of the job is removing the under tray.

Scuttle tray - A2 steve or Sarge may have a good replacement

Engine getting more noisy - possibly hydralic tappets and you can buy an additive to quiet them back down

And a significant knock underneath - top mounts, anti roll bar bushes , drop links to name a few and just general wear n tear that any car gets with milage

Thanks for the replies and support.

The paint issue is one we've covered here before and only the bonnet (which is only 2 years old) and a wing are free of peeling so it is nearly a full respray.

I replaced the brake switch only 2 years ago.

It is a toss up between the time and effort I have already put into this lovely little car over the last 6-7 years and just buying another (TDI as Steve said), and having just seen the one Manhattan has for sale...

Buying Pauls Tdi deport for a grand seems a better placed way of spending your money in my opinion. Yours will still sell on ebay etc as spares or repair so you won't have to spend the full £1000. If you can do the work yourself then it's a no-brainer as far as I'm concerned but then I am very biased towards the TDI.

I am a fan of the TDI, I also have a 1.9tdi. I can do the work but don't think the wife will wait that long, it's her car.

In the meantime I have cleaned up the throttle body, not too bad but the flap was quite heavy with carbon.

Is it normal that I can move the engine in the driver side mount? It's not a great amount but more than I'd expect.

From what I've seen on my tdi the engine mounts wear as the rubber moulding is ribbed on the ends & this wears with age, you could try packing it with a cut section of radiator hose to see if it stops the movement.
My engine swung freely when the dog bone mount was removed for replacement, best £37.00 spent so far.

Keith.

I would bun it
Not get another a2 which will surely have its own problems and get a new prius
Or similar
Its old tech the a2 now
Get something thats really built to last like
Toyota or bmw

The "youngest" A2 is now 11 years old and any make of car of a similar age will have its issues. I still think it looks impressive and enjoy my daily drive to work but like any other maturing motors they will now need some TLC and patience. Is it fun when things go wrong.... no it isn,t. Is it worth the repairs and servicing.... in my opinion yes. :)

Last edited:
to say Audi over 'engineered' the A2 is some what of an understatement. VAG certainly don't make cars as well today nor do other car manufactures including Toyota and BMW. The A2 was a proving ground for what is now Audi's premium car range, hence is cost far more to make than they ever sold the cars for, obviously that is not a good business model going forward hence the more modern designs have had quality removed to reduce cost.
Audi are not the only manufacture to go through this, look at the early 2000 mercs which were crap compared to the mercs of the 90, similarly Toyota made quality cars in the 90 and early 2000, but they cost too much, quality was reduced to drive the cost down and look at the amount of recalls that they have had over the last 5 to 7 years.

Cheers,

I have always gone for older cars and would love to keep an A2 in the household but this current one needs retiring and only with the drive space freed up will I be allowed to get another!

What's the best way forward? Straight onto ebay or here to give members a chance at a couple of parts first?

Hi Peeps

Nearly a year later and I've managed to do nothing it, too much takes higher priority so it has to go really relunctantly.

Anyone need any bits?

Back