Brake Judder

steveb

A2OC Donor
United-Kingdom
Has anyone had anything cause brake judder other then the discs ? (through the steering)

From personal experience, it's most likely to be a problem with the wheel bearing. I got through THREE sets of brand-new discs before it was found to be a fault with the location of one of the wheel bearings!

David

Had the bearing moved ? did you have any bearing noise ? I fitted new discs in July which stopped the vibration, it has now returned (Genuine discs).

That is EXACTLY what happened to me! Stealth Racing replaced my worn discs with genuine Audi discs (I hadn't been getting brake reaction before then, from what I remember) Then after a short time, I got heavy judder when braking. So they replaced those discs under warranty. Same thing happened, so this time Stealth replaced the discs with Brembo units this time. Again, after a while, the judder was back! Boy, was I gutted! So A2 cars had the discs skimmed and fitted a new wheel-bearing. I'm not sure if the bearing was actually faulty or if it had not been aligned properly. I do know that that alignment is critical, though. Anyway, since then it's been totally cured! So I'd be fairly sure that your problem does lie with something to do with the wheel bearing? I hope that this helps ..

David

I had the same problem and it was fixed by correctly fitting the wheel bearings. Tony at A2 Cars is the man to see.

Peter

Brake judder can be caused by several things, but mostly from play in any of these, wheel bearings , lower wishbone, control arm outer and inner bushes , track rod ends and then not so common but can have an effect is the wheel balance and the stubs axles were baldly corroded and have not had there faces cleaned up before fitting new discs as this could also cause a vibration whilst braking , then to the extreme where the stub axles "which the disc and wheels bolt to" are buckled

I'll check wednesday when i have some free time, the bearings have not been touched, so their fitting shouldn't be a problem

I thought I'd sorted this one but it's back, how do I tell if the wheel bearing is not seated correctly ?

I had brake judder and suspension noises transmitted through the chassis which all disappeared when I fitted a new drop link.

Back